[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm with you on the Larsson issue. He's a gritty player with no offensive capability. Botterill worked hard in the offseason to bring some functionality to the third and fourth lines. I don't understand the infatuation with Larsson who is more of an AHL caliber of player. Remi would be a better option. 

Not that I’m going to defend Housley, but:

Maybe Housley wants to move Mitts to the wing and have Larsson center that line? That would lessen Mitts’s responsibilities but wouldn’t do anything to help him develop his 200 foot game as a center. And while he hasn’t been lighting it up (yet), Mitts’s two-way game is improving and he hasn’t hurt us, either.

Or maybe Housley and Botts need to see what they have in Larsson playing with this new team while the season is still young? Showcase him for a possible trade? 

The move flies in the face of the conventional hockey wisdom that says you don’t mess with a good thing while it’s working. Did Elie do anything glaringly wrong when he was in the lineup?

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Not that I’m going to defend Housley, but:

Maybe Housley wants to move Mitts to the wing and have Larsson center that line? That would lessen Mitts’s responsibilities but wouldn’t do anything to help him develop his 200 foot game as a center. And while he hasn’t been lighting it up (yet), Mitts’s two-way game is improving and he hasn’t hurt us, either.

Or maybe Housley and Botts need to see what they have in Larsson playing with this new team while the season is still young? Showcase him for a possible trade? 

The move flies in the face of the conventional hockey wisdom that says you don’t mess with a good thing while it’s working. Did Elie do anything glaringly wrong when he was in the lineup?

From an analytical sense that line is not doing well. So the coach is subtracting a piece and adding a different piece to the mix. This is clearly demonstrated in 26Corner's color graphic. So the move makes sense. I like keeping Mittlestadt on the line, even as a forward because hopefully the more playing time he gets the faster he develops. As you observed Mittlestadt is not shining but he doesn't look out of place. 

I'll make a small prediction that in the not too distant future Tage Thompson will be sent down to the AHL. Tage has a tendency to try to dazzle with little to show for his pretty play. He needs to simply his game and be more efficient with his action. Playing pretty in the NHL is not going to cut it if there is no production to back it up. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

From an analytical sense that line is not doing well. So the coach is subtracting a piece and adding a different piece to the mix. This is clearly demonstrated in 26Corner's color graphic. So the move makes sense. I like keeping Mittlestadt on the line, even as a forward because hopefully the more playing time he gets the faster he develops. As you observed Mittlestadt is not shining but he doesn't look out of place. 

I'll make a small prediction that in the not too distant future Tage Thompson will be sent down to the AHL. Tage has a tendency to try to dazzle with little to show for his pretty play. He needs to simply his game and be more efficient with his action. Playing pretty in the NHL is not going to cut it if there is no production to back it up. 

I take those analytics with a grain of salt as evidenced by the disclaimer at the end. If Housley is seeing something in Elie’s play that is not apparent to me, fine, I fully understand. But other than taking faceoffs in the D zone, Larsson offers absolutely nothing superior, imo; especially speed. That said, Housley is the coach and (presumably) knows far better than anyone in these parts, that’s for sure.

I am fully aware the Caps played last night and they weren't going to have any legs playing a game way less then 24 hours from their last game, but the Devils put a severe whipping on them.

It's early though.

And the Caps pulled their goalie to try and avoid a shutout. I don't think I have ever seen something like that in hockey. Pulling the goalie with a big deficit to avoid a shutout. Interesting.

Edited by njbuff

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Housley watch on again? ( i saw zero of the game btw)

They were tank years bad. 0 for 7 on the pp. And it’s clear that for all the faster players we’ve added, we are no where near the Colorados of the league in terms of overall team speed. 

I’m always on Housley watch. Let’s see where they are on 10/31. Tough five game road trip coming up after serving up a stinker at home. Depending on how they respond, Housley’s career may be riding on the next nine days.

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres played like crap against Colorado tonight.

Eichel said, post game, "It felt like we probably weren't ready to play" or words to that effect.

It is game 4 after all; I can see where their attention span would be strained.

If Housley can't get them ready to play every game, can his soft ass and find someone who can.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 5 vs. ARI at 9 PM ET on 10/13