[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I can see why he's wearing the A.  Going out there and fighting for his team like he has the last couple of games has to do a ton for the rest of the roster.  I can't help but cringe though when I see a guy with constant injury issues out there fighting in each game.

Agree completely, but I suppose that's why his teammates love him.  Just keep your fingers crossed!

https://prospectpipeline.ca/2018/09/26/buffalo-sabres-farm-system-prospects/

2018-19 Farm System Report: Buffalo Sabres

The Buffalo Sabres stand as a franchise on the fringe.

Boasting a whack of elite young talent and the depth necessary to score in bunches, the Sabres hold the potential to compete, yet will need a comprehensive effort from their blue line and goaltenders in order to do so. Fortunately, future top-pairing defenceman Rasmus Dahlin is on the way, and so too are other promising blueliners as well as a towering goaltender.

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Agree completely, but I suppose that's why his teammates love him.  Just keep your fingers crossed!

8th/9th defensemen love him because his injuries earn them a call up and a larger paycheck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I can see why he's wearing the A.  Going out there and fighting for his team like he has the last couple of games has to do a ton for the rest of the roster.  I can't help but cringe though when I see a guy with constant injury issues out there fighting in each game.

I have said it before and I've predictably got booed for it but I don't want Bogo fighting. I'll even go beyond that in that I don't want him to unnecessarily crunch the opposition with his targeted hits on the other team for the purpose of making a statement.  No question that Bogo fits very well with the Housely system of the defensemen moving up the ice with the forwards on offense. He's an excellent skater and his playing this year after so many previous injuries is a bonus. I don't want Bogo to play just a Nelson style of finesse game where there is little hitting and more emphasis on passing and moving the puck. Of course I expect him to have a more muscular game but I want him to be more judicious about the hitting and fighting. 

If I had my way I would ban fighting in hockey. I don't care what the neanderthals think and I don't care if I get booed!

From the article about Dahlin's first road trip , "

In Los Angeles, the Sabres played at 12:30 p.m. and then the basketball floor went down and LeBron James made his home debut with the Lakers. Dahlin stayed and took in his first NBA game. He said, “It was really fun, something new and it was awesome.”

During the game with the Rockets, there was a brawl involving Brandon Ingram, Rajon Rondo and Chris Paul. Dahlin is used to hockey fights and said, “That was cool, that really doesn’t happen much, right? Compared to fights on the ice, it was just one punch so it wasn’t a really good fight, but I don’t think basketball is like that.”

That part made me laugh

13 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

From the article about Dahlin's first road trip , "

In Los Angeles, the Sabres played at 12:30 p.m. and then the basketball floor went down and LeBron James made his home debut with the Lakers. Dahlin stayed and took in his first NBA game. He said, “It was really fun, something new and it was awesome.”

During the game with the Rockets, there was a brawl involving Brandon Ingram, Rajon Rondo and Chris Paul. Dahlin is used to hockey fights and said, “That was cool, that really doesn’t happen much, right? Compared to fights on the ice, it was just one punch so it wasn’t a really good fight, but I don’t think basketball is like that.”

That part made me laugh

brutal playing hoops after a hockey game, they can't eliminate all the contingencies slapping down the parquet, slipped a few times in Toronto and saw a few serious accidents off it

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

brutal playing hoops after a hockey game, they can't eliminate all the contingencies slapping down the parquet, slipped a few times in Toronto and saw a few serious accidents off it

I do remember arenas that have that same type of set up having problems with the moisture and yes lots of slipping. Surprised Lebron allowed them to play a game on a day like that 

11 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I do remember arenas that have that same type of set up having problems with the moisture and yes lots of slipping. Surprised Lebron allowed them to play a game on a day like that 

Madison Square is the worst of the worst, the ruts in the ice are legendary for decades

the circus would result in dirt patches on the ice

https://buffalonews.com/2018/10/24/sabres-coach-phil-housley-we-have-to-start-getting-our-head-and-mind-right/

Buffalo Sabres coach Phil Housley had a few choice words for his team during their morning practice Wednesday at HarborCenter.

They weren't kind, and included an obscenity. Housley admonished his team for its sluggish pace during drills, as the Sabres prepared to host the upstart Montreal Canadiens at 7 p.m. Thursday at KeyBank Center.

“We just started a little slow in practice, that’s all,” Housley said. “We had a skills day (Tuesday) and now we have to start getting our head and mind right. We’re playing a really good Montreal team tomorrow, they’re a very fast team, and I just wanted us to push the pace a little more.”

The Sabres are aware of how important it is to regain their legs after a five-game, nine-day road trip.

As I said recently in this thread, Housley doesn’t tolerate this kind of stuff. He holds this team accountable and has no issue stopping practice to lay into the team if they are not doing what he asks. 

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/10/24/sabres-coach-phil-housley-we-have-to-start-getting-our-head-and-mind-right/

As I said recently in this thread, Housley doesn’t tolerate this kind of stuff. He holds this team accountable and has no issue stopping practice to lay into the team if they are not doing what he asks. 

This is precisely what @K-9 was talking about.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Madison Square is the worst of the worst, the ruts in the ice are legendary for decades

the circus would result in dirt patches on the ice

I had to help put the floor over the ice rink a few times back in college.  That was an interesting experience.  They used that building maybe twice a year for bouncyball, only if they had to host the conference tournament.  I wasn't there for the basketball games themselves, but looking at how the whole process went, I can't imagine there not being issues with the floor at some point.  Hell, I almost lost a toe at one point due to how disorganized the whole thing was.

Obviously these big time pro arenas have the system down, but still, the whole thing was an interesting experience.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, but you want to see some leadership from the players holding each other accountable as well.  A coach chewing the team out isn't the same as players like Eichel or Bogo laying into them for lackadaisical practice.  This is my biggest concern this year; they're too young and will fall into traps of feeling good about themselves after a couple of good games.  They've got to work hard every day.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

It was nice to read this article. However, I wasn’t happy to read that Tuesday’s practice was conducted by Matt Ellis and devoted to a “skills” session. It was as if Housley was easing them back into it after being off Monday, a complete 180 from what I’d rather have seen; a grueling, fast-paced skating session to get them immediately refocused on the task at hand. 

We haven’t played in four days and it’s not easy to knock off rust against one of the fastest skating teams in the league. We will know in the first 10 minutes where their heads are at. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I had to help put the floor over the ice rink a few times back in college.  That was an interesting experience.  They used that building maybe twice a year for bouncyball, only if they had to host the conference tournament.  I wasn't there for the basketball games themselves, but looking at how the whole process went, I can't imagine there not being issues with the floor at some point.  Hell, I almost lost a toe at one point due to how disorganized the whole thing was.

Obviously these big time pro arenas have the system down, but still, the whole thing was an interesting experience.

My Father in Law used to have season tickets for the Oilers. He'd sit there for hours after a game while traffic died down watching them convert it from football to baseball. Said the Astrodome was a great place for baseball, and terrible for football. 

I bought my hockey package last night. I have a Roku TV now, so I got the one team package. Used to hate paying almost $200 a year when I only really cared about the Sabres. With my Father in Law's veteran discount it came to like $75. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

even the best have some trouble getting the wetness out of the hoops floor after hockey games

extra staff with those round mops when someone slips on the wood

DqTStl1WkAAy_bD.jpg

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 10/25/18 vs. Montreal

GAME-DAY RESOURCES
Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Sunday, October 21
Buffalo 4 at Anaheim 2
Goals: Okposo, Skinner, Ristolainen, Berglund
Goalie: Hutton (26 saves/28 shots)
PP: 2/4; PK: 2/2; Shots: Buffalo 45 – Anaheim 28

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 40)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 9 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 9 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 9 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Oct. 27: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 30: Calgary at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 1: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 3: Ottawa at Buffalo, 2 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 4: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
CANADIENS at SABRES
  • This is the first of four meetings between the Sabres and Canadiens this season.
  • Last meeting: Montreal defeated Buffalo 3-0 in Buffalo on March 23
  • Next meeting: Thursday, Nov. 8 in Montreal
  • The Sabres are 2-5-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Canadiens; 3-4-3 at home
  • This is the 280th game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 126-112-41 series record.
  • The Sabres are 72-40-27 at home against the Canadiens all-time.

Lines and D pairings - October 25

BUFFALO - Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured at Thursday's morning skate at the KeyBank Center.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Lehkonen
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Deslauriers - Peca - Shaw

Scherbak - Hudon
Benn - Petry
Reilly - Juulsen
Mete - Ouellet
Alzner

Niemi
Price

Projected Lineup

53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville

26 Rasmus Dahlin - 8 Casey Nelson

40 Carter Hutton

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

• This is the 280th game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 126-112-41 series record.

This surprised me...I would not have thought the Sabres have an overall winning record against the Habs, all time.

• Like (+1) 1