[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

DqCehKKWwAAjZ39.jpg

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 10/21/18 at Anaheim

GAME-DAY RESOURCES
Game Notes NHL Stats

LAST GAME
Saturday, October 20
Buffalo 5 at Los Angeles 1
Goals: Skinner (3), Pominville, Bogosian
Goalie: Ullmark (19 saves/20 shots)
PP: 0/1; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 26 – Los Angeles 20

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 36)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 8 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 8 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 8 games
Nathan Beaulieu (undisclosed, Oct. 20) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
10/16: Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Assigned D Matt Tennyson to Rochester (AHL)
10/17: Signed F Matej Pekar to a three-year, entry-level contract

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Oct. 25: Montreal at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 27: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 30: Calgary at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 1: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 3: Ottawa at Buffalo, 2 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at DUCKS
  • This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Ducks this season.
  • Last meeting: Anaheim defeated Buffalo 4-3 (OT) in Buffalo on Feb. 6
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Dec. 22 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Ducks; 4-6-0 on the road
  • This is the 37th game all-time between Buffalo and Anaheim; Buffalo has an 18-14-4 series record.
  • The Sabres are 10-8-0 on the road against the Ducks all-time.

Their best game of the year to this point. By far. Their trademark fragility didn't rear its ugly head after they went down 2-0 and they didn't get frustrated after hitting a few posts tonight. Instead, they stuck with the hard work, physical play, and were able to tie it up. I hope we're seeing the birth of our new identity. And for that, I'll give Housley some credit. 

Helluva win. 

Housley's next test is having them ready to go on Thursday and we all know how those first home games are after an extended road trip. Give 'em tomorrow off and bag skate 'em on Tuesday to get them focused. :ph34r:

That's three games in a row Eichel showed up to play. He wasn't rewarded in San Jose because nobody else decided to join him, but he's been on his game. As he goes, the team follows. He simply cannot take any nights off. He can have a bad game, but it can't be because his effort isn't there. 

Prediction: when Mitts scores his first, lookout. He's thisclose to breaking out. He needs to stay patient and not get frustrated. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Helluva win. 

Housley's next test is having them ready to go on Thursday and we all know how those first home games are after an extended road trip. Give 'em tomorrow off and bag skate 'em on Tuesday to get them focused. :ph34r:

That's three games in a row Eichel showed up to play. He wasn't rewarded in San Jose because nobody else decided to join him, but he's been on his game. As he goes, the team follows. He simply cannot take any nights off. He can have a bad game, but it can't be because his effort isn't there. 

Prediction: when Mitts scores his first, lookout. He's thisclose to breaking out. He needs to stay patient and not get frustrated.

Mittlestadt isn't scoring but he certainly doesn't look out of place. What's really impressive about him is that he has good hockey sense. In that realm he is like Reinhart only that he is a better skater. 

The Ducks are a good team. The Sabres were the better hockey team on the ice. 

I thought the Sabres played a simplified game and won a lot of battles on the boards against a good sized team. I thought Bogo played well. I hope he can stay healthy. He is our muscle but uses it judiciously. He could have beaten one of the Ducks but he held back and let the fight end with no one getting hurt. 

Again, good goaltending was instrumental in the win. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That was the best "top to bottom" game in a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.  Now let's get back home and keep this little streak going.

What was a refreshing change was that their style of energized and tough play didn't change even when they were down in the score. That was a major change for a team that has been fragile for years. Usually, when the other teams get the lead and things are not going well they become deflated. As you noted from the beginning to the end the Sabres played a tight checking game all the way through. It was close to playing a playoff brand of hockey. This game gave me a lot of encouragement. 

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

The play Eichel made to start the Skinner goal was amazing. Elite vision and awareness. 

What impressed me about Jack in this game is his back checking and gritty defensive play. He sets the tone. When he plays loose and floats on the defensive side of the game he sets the tone for the rest of the team. When he gets involved it seems to inspire the other players to mix it up. What is going to make Jack an elite player is his play on the defensive end. Offense comes natural to him. Defense is effort. When he does it seems every else does it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Mittlestadt isn't scoring but he certainly doesn't look out of place. What's really impressive about him is that he has good hockey sense. In that realm he is like Reinhart only that he is a better skater. 

The Ducks are a good team. The Sabres were the better hockey team on the ice. 

I thought the Sabres played a simplified game and won a lot of battles on the boards against a good sized team. I thought Bogo played well. I hope he can stay healthy. He is our muscle but uses it judiciously. He could have beaten one of the Ducks but he held back and let the fight end with no one getting hurt. 

Again, good goaltending was instrumental in the win. 

Sabres were indeed the better team all night.  They were very unlucky to be down 1-0 after the first, and then when Hutton gave up the soft goal it would have been easy to think "here we go again" but that's when the Sabres showed their mettle and continued to work hard.  They absolutely deserved this win.

Skinner is already +8 on the season!  Bogo is +4 since returning.

I'm very excited to be returning to Buffalo next weekend and being able to catch Tuesday night's game at the arena.

• Like (+1) 1