[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wow!

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/barry-trotz-resigns-washington

Barry Trotz had a clause in his contract where if he won the Stanley Cup he could accept a two-year extension with a $300k bump in salary. Obviously since he was only making $1.5M, low by today's NHL coach's standards, a $1.8-million salary doesn't cut it. So Trotz stepped down.

6-19: Sabres' AGM Randy Sexton on WGR (11:15)

#Sabres assistant general manager, and #Amerks general manager Randy Sexton is set to join Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Sexton - Jason was very clear with everyone at the end of the year: last year's results wasn't good enough and we need to make changes. We believe we have some good players in place, but it's clear that we need to make some changes. #Sabres

Sexton - We have to look externally to make some changes to the organization. We have to look at every alternative to help change the course of this team. #Sabres

Sexton - We've seen Rasmus Dahlin play a lot both live and on video. He stood out the very first time I saw him as a 16-year old in Frolunda. #Sabres

Sexton - We are pleased with the draft and the way that it is, and with the fact that we're picking 1st overall. We also believe we will get a valuable player with the 32nd pick. #Sabres

19 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

and we thought it was nuts when Nolan got canned after COY honors..this has been brewing for a while..weird

It's really no different.  The coach wants more than the team is willing to pay him, so they part ways.  We will never stop seeing this happen.  It won't always be a coach who just won some hardware, but we'll see many more forms of this over time.

Dahlin has potential to provide stagnant Sabres a spark

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Former defenseman Mike Weber is all too familiar with the Sabres’ lean years while spending a majority of his eight NHL seasons in Buffalo.

There were high-priced free agents who failed to pan out and one draft-pick bust after another. Weber made the playoffs just twice, with Buffalo eliminated in the first round both times.

And then there was the so-called “tank season” in 2014-15, when Sabres fans openly rooted for the team to finish last for the right to draft either now-Oilers captain, Connor McDavid, or Buffalo’s eventual pick, Jack Eichel.

As it happens, Weber also enjoyed a glimpse into what could well be the Sabres’ more promising future following an eight-week stint with Frolunda, Sweden, last fall. Weber had an opportunity to play alongside defenseman Rasmus Dahlin , the highly touted 18-year-old projected to be selected by Buffalo with the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft on Friday night.

Stubb: Dahlin is 'a complete package'

The Buffalo Sabres are getting set to kick off the 2018 NHL Draft in style on Friday with the first overall pick. With that pick, the Sabres are likely to take Swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin from the Frölunda Indians of the Swedish Hockey League.

It has been noted since he entered the spotlight that he could be the best defensive prospect to enter the NHL Draft in several years.

Since the Sabres won the NHL Draft Lottery back on April 28, we have heard from several people around the hockey world on what Dahlin brings to the table and what his future holds for the Sabres and the NHL.

One voice we heard from back on May 8 with Howard and Jeremy was Goran Stubb, who is the Director of European Scouting for the NHL Central Scouting Bureau.

Here is some of what Stubb had to say:

On 6/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, Fadingpain said:

Barry Trotz is on the market.

Sabres need to sign him!  

Instant upgrade and one of the best coaches in the NHL.

Upheaval resulting from yet another coaching change?  Who cares!  The Sabres have nowhere to go but up.

I think Trotz owes a lot to the GM who brought in just the right players. 

I would stay with Housley till he has the players for his system. 

6-20: Darren Dreger on WGR (16:32)

TSN's @DarrenDreger joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR with the latest news and notes from around the NHL! Tune in:

Dreger - In Buffalo the watch on Ryan O'Reilly has been pretty consistent. Jason Botterill is looking for an excellent return for him. Could that mean a top pick in the NHL Draft as part of the draft? We'll see what a team like Montreal decides to do. #Sabres

Dreger - it sounds insane to me that the Canadiens would give up the #3 pick possibly to acquire O'Reilly. Marc Bergevin has to come out of this offseason with a lot more than just Max Domi. Don't know if he can survive another brutal season. #Sabres

Dreger - I think the interest in Ryan O'Reilly from around the NHL is considerable. I'm not sure what that list looks like, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were about 5 teams interested. #Sabres

Dreger - Jason Botterill knows what kind of player he has with Ryan O'Reilly. However, he is fully in the driver's seat when it comes to O'Reilly. #Sabres

Dreger - Rasmus Ristolainen is a surprising name, to me, that is on the trade market, but there is certainly interest in him. Teams like Anaheim and Edmonton may have already expressed interest, and there could be up to 8 teams on that list. #Sabres

Dreger - The Blue Jackets need to make a decision relatively soon with how deep they want to go in with Artemi Panarin. There would be an amazing market with Panarin.

Dreger - my gut feeling is that Erik Karlsson moves this offseason. I think the interest is incredibly high, and the Senators are recognizing that a rebuild is not a bad idea. I'm still captivated that Vegas could be the team to land Karlsson.

2018-19 NHL home openers

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League today announced the home openers for all 31 clubs for the 2018-19 regular season. The League's complete 1,271-game schedule will be revealed live on NHL Network tomorrow, Thursday, June 21, at 5 p.m. ET during NHL Tonight: 2018-19 Schedule Release, hosted by Fran Charles and analysts Ken Daneyko and Mike Johnson. The hour-long show will also be streamed live on NHL.com.