[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Sabres' Botterill said there will likely be no buyouts this season

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - The NHL’s buyout period open on Friday right after midnight, but don’t expect the Sabres to be part of it. Jason Botterill told me, “I don’t see us having any buyouts this year, obviously things could always change over the next little bit here, but from our standpoint, just the way some of our contracts are structured we don’t want to have cap hits beyond this year, so we see it being more beneficial to ride the year out and go from there.”

We got into some other topics including Thursday’s trade of Hudson Fasching to Arizona for the rights to BU defenseman Brandon Hickey and unrestricted free agent Mike Sislo. Fasching, who is a restricted free agent ended the season in Rochester being a healthy scratch and Botterill said, “We would’ve been qualifying him, but with players like Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, bring in Danny O’Regan, bringing in Andrew Oglevie, we felt we had an abundance at right wing and we’ve looked to try to bring in more defensemen and continue to work with them.

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the order of selection for the 2018 NHL Draft presented by adidas at American Airlines Center in Dallas. The first round will take place on Friday, June 22 (7:30 p.m., ET/6:30 p.m., CT, NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVAS) and the subsequent rounds (2 through 7) on Saturday, June 23 (11 a.m., ET/10 a.m., CT, NHL Network, Sportsnet, TVAS).
All networks also will feature pre-event coverage on Friday (TVAS at 6 p.m. ET/5 p.m. CT, NBCSN and Sportsnet at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT).

Rasmus Dahlin enjoying every day of NHL Draft process - Sportsnet.ca

6-18: Former Frolunda Forward Sean Bergenheim Talks Rasmus Dahlin on WGR (13:44)

Let's get #DialedInOnDahlin right now as former teammate of Rasmus Dahlin, @SeanBergenheim joins Howard Simon right now on WGR!

Bergenheim - The first word that comes to my mind about Dahlin is exceptional. Not many players like him come into the hockey world and play like he does. #Sabres

Bergenheim - I think he will transition well from the SHL to the NHL. He has the drive to become the best and he has the tools. He has everything to be a good NHL player. #Sabres

Bergenheim - Some people are born with exceptional skills, and he has that. He has good puck control, he sees the game quicker than others. Guys like Sidney Crosby have that extra something, and Dahlin has that too. #Sabres

Bergenheim - The first time I remember noticing him was maybe my third practice in Frolunda. He did a coast-to-coast in practice and it was mind-blowing. He was just 16-years-old then, and since then it was noticeable every practice and every game. #Sabres

Bergenheim - it's tough to compare Dahlin to anybody. He has the tools of some of the top players in the NHL. You can see the potential for him to be just as good as Erik Karlsson. #Sabres

Bergenheim - it's fun to be able to watch a player of Dahlin's caliber on your team. For me to having be able to play with him and now to watch on the sidelines, it's going to be fun to follow. #Sabres

Bergenheim - Frolunda is a team that practices harder than most teams in Europe. Dahlin had his own drive on the team, and he wanted to be his absolute best. He's very calm and goes about doing his own thing. #Sabres

Bergenheim - I think the adjustment from the SHL to the NHL goes by pretty quick when you're younger. He will need to improve on some things, but I think it will be pretty quick for Dahlin. #Sabres

Bergenheim - I think he needs to get a bit bigger, and that first pass has to be a bit quicker in the NHL, but he should make that adjustment quickly. #Sabres

Bergenheim - For exceptional players like Dahlin, he needs to be allowed to do his thing on the ice. You probably want a guy like Rasmus to have the puck. #Sabres

Bergenheim - I think he is such a good person, and he has his head straight. A lot of things will come to him, and if he believes in himself, he'll have fun playing the NHL life. #Sabres

Bergenheim - Victor Olofsson is also a good kid like Dahlin. He has an incredible wrist shot, may be the best wrist shot in the SHL. He's a really good goal scorer, good skater. He has the tools to become a good NHL player. #Sabres

Bergenheim - His skating is a good strength of his game. The #Sabres could use that. #Sabres

Bergenheim - Olofsson's skating is a good strength of his game. The #Sabres could use that. #Sabres

Victor Hedman said the advent of social media has contributed to the excitement of Rasmus Dahlin likely becoming the first Sweden-born player chosen No. 1 in the NHL Draft since the Quebec Nordiques selected Mats Sundin in 1989.

The Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman has a good idea what Dahlin, 18 years old and No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's final list of International skaters, is going through as the most discussed blue-chip prospect from overseas of the 2018 draft in Dallas.

2018 NHL Draft: Top 10 defensemen

Rasmus Dahlin of Frolunda in the Swedish Hockey League is not only the best defenseman of the 2018 NHL Draft, but the best player.

"Dahlin is an exceptionally talented prospect who will be able to contribute, influence and impact a team's fortunes much in the way that Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman have in the NHL," said Dan Marr, Director of NHL Central Scouting. "If you wanted to pick one player from the 2018 draft who could potentially be viewed as a generational talent, Dahlin would be the only candidate."

Barry Trotz is on the market.

Sabres need to sign him!  

Instant upgrade and one of the best coaches in the NHL.

Upheaval resulting from yet another coaching change?  Who cares!  The Sabres have nowhere to go but up.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Barry Trotz is on the market.

Sabres need to sign him!  

Instant upgrade and one of the best coaches in the NHL.

Upheaval resulting from yet another coaching change?  Who cares!  The Sabres have nowhere to go but up.

I don't see Botterill doing this, but I would be tempted.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sabres savior: Meet Do-it-all defender Rasmus Dahlin | The Hockey News

Picture Peter Forsberg on the blueline. That's what Buffalo is set to get in No. 1 NHL draft prospect Rasmus Dahlin – a slick, skilled, ultra-competitive and downright mean defenseman.

At 13, it clicked for Dahlin that he could use those tools to bring a unique breed of offense from the blueline. He fell in love with the idea and moved to defense.

Dahlin started playing defense full time at age 13. He just turned 18 in April... so 5yrs as a full time defenseman. And he's this good already. 

Amazing. 

If he's this great after only 5yrs, can you imagine where he will be in another 5? Or 10? 

It would be quite the understatement to say that I am excited to see this kid develop. 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't see Botterill doing this, but I would be tempted.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him as the new Islander HC. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Dahlin started playing defense full time at age 13. He just turned 18 in April... so 5yrs as a full time defenseman. And he's this good already. 

Amazing. 

If he's this great after only 5yrs, can you imagine where he will be in another 5? Or 10? 

It would be quite the understatement to say that I am excited to see this kid develop. 

Damn exciting to think of a great #1 D man in Blue and Gold. 

• Like (+1) 1