[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:
If Dahlin records a point tonight, he will hold the record for the longest point streak for an 18yr old defenseman in NHL history. 

That is one of the most hallowed records in all of sports.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Blockbuster! 

seriously though, I wish Bailey well. I’ve been waiting for that kid to put it all together since his draft year (2013). It was pretty clear that his time in Buffalo was up. I really hope a fresh start does him some good. I think he needed it, TBH. 

As for Leier, I can’t say I know anything about him. Here’s his bio -

https://www.nhl.com/player/taylor-leier-8476955

He looks to have somewhat similar stats to Bailey -

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/45615/taylor-leier

If he can't make "Leier the Flyer" work, how is "Leier the Sabre" realistic?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/18/buffalo-sabres-patrik-berglund-st-louis-blues-nhl-news/

Berglund addressed why he left the Sabres to his hometown paper. Here’s a couple quotes. More in the article -

The 30-year-old forward explained how he lost his passion and joy for hockey, which ultimately led to him leaving the Sabres and having his contract terminated.

“When you feel as bad as I did, and feel what I feel today... I really feel I've made the right decision," Berglund told reporter Pasi Hiirikoski in an article translated from Swedish. "Money is the last thing that means something to me right now."

“I want to say that I'm really sorry about leaving and letting Buffalo down as a team,' Berglund said in the interview. "The players were wonderful, and I wish the players and the organization nothing but the best in the future. The have not done anything wrong."

Reading the article, It sounds like this whole thing kind of stemmed from what the Blues did by quickly trading him after he was late submitting his no trade list, as Elliotte Friedman reported. 

Another article with more quotes -

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/1/18/18188513/buffalo-sabres-patrik-berglund-tells-his-side-in-exclusive-interview-in-sweden

Edited by BillsFan4

On 1/18/2019 at 1:25 PM, bbb said:

That is one of the most hallowed records in all of sports.

Here’s the harsh reality: we have 54 points with 68 points remaining. Realistically, we need to get to 96 points to have a shot at the playoffs. That means playing at a .617 clip from here on out. Something this team, aside from a 10 game win streak with a TON of analytics to suggest it was a fluke, has never come close to achieving the last several years.

I’ll just go ahead and say it; we have little chance at a playoff birth; virtually none. I think this team will crumble at the sight of how much teams pulled away from them while they were off, begin pressing, and then fold under the pressure like they’ve done the last two years under Bylsma and Housley after their bye week. 

We just aren’t good enough, simple as that. 

The shame is that JBotts probably knows this, too, but won’t make any moves via trade or call ups because it’s a lost cause and at least the Amerks are contending. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Agreed. Until Jack and Skinner stepped out for that Vancouver goal. They looked somewhat slow. Lines 3 and 4 looked strong. 

Jack was not exactly playing hard the 4th Vancouver goal either. He hd a bad game last night

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Here’s the harsh reality: we have 54 points with 68 points remains. Realistically, we need to get to 96 points to have a shot at the playoffs. That means playing at a .617 clip from here on out. Something this team, aside from a 10 game win streak with a TON of analytics to suggest it was a fluke, has never come close to achieving the last several years.

I’ll just go ahead and say it; we have little chance at a playoff birth; virtually none. I think this team will crumble at the sight of how much teams pulled away from them while they were off, begin pressing, and then fold under the pressure like they’ve done the last two years under Bylsma and Housley after their bye week. 

We just aren’t good enough, simple as that. 

The shame is that JBotts probably knows this, too, but won’t make any moves via trade or call ups because it’s a lost cause and at least the Amerks are contending. 

Nah nah na na..hey eh...goodbye(playoffs that is)

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Power play looks like *****. Shoot the fukin puck! You re not gonna pass it into the net.

Skilled players always seem to want to set up the slam dunk goal into an empty net through superior puck movement.

As you say, that really doesn't work that often in reality.

Goals tend to come from simple shots and the chaos that ensues, with luck playing a major role.

Throw the puck at the net, have a lot of guys around the net, the second or third puck touch puts it in the net.

If only you could hammer that into these guys.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He’s having a rough game. 2 goals against tonight that you can put on him, at least partly. 

Pilut at time shows flashes of being a good player. And as you pointed out that he periodically has damaging lapses. Mittelstadt and Tage at time show flashes of being good players. And it is obvious that at times they are glaring liabilities on the ice. That's certainly no surprise. Young players are unsurprisingly inconsistent and at times are lost and befuddled. There is a near universal agreement that Dahlin is going to be an exceptional player. Yet, no one can deny that he has had his struggles. However, one of his greatest attributes is his mental toughness exhibited by the fact that when he makes a mistake he plays past it and continues on. 

My point is what is most important for this team and franchise is not the playoff chase (although I want to make it this year as much as anyone, including Plezmd) but the development of our young players. I'm hoping that by the end of this year or beginning of next year that Nyalnder and Guhle will be added to the mix and continue on growing as players and helping to increase the talent pool of this roster. That's the priority!  

• Like (+1) 3

https://player.fm/series/series-2445936/ep-01-18-tsns-darren-dreger-with-the-instigators

Darren Dreger was on the Instagators today.

Says that Buffalo is being pretty aggressive about trying to get a deal done with Skinner. 

Also says that Botterill is in no rush but if there is a piece available that makes sense, he will make a move. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I see Harrington is coming around to my way of thinking:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/21/buffalo-sabres-nhl-phil-housley-jason-botterill/

Rumor has it that the article was ghost written by Plexmd. 

I don't see Botterill deviating from his plan in not giving up an asset for a short-term solution. Last offseason, the Sabres traded for Skinner and dealt ROR. That's when the GM will probably makes some impacting deals. I just don't see anything other than a marginal deal being made during the season. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander was brought up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Rumor has it that the article was ghost written by Plexmd. 

I don't see Botterill deviating from his plan in not giving up an asset for a short-term solution. Last offseason, the Sabres traded for Skinner and dealt ROR. That's when the GM will probably makes some impacting deals. I just don't see anything other than a marginal deal being made during the season. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander was brought up. 

Laughing at the Plenz reference. We are of similar mindsets when it comes to the Sabres.

While I agree that Botterill will most likely stay the course, I am also preparing for the worst. There is a reason we were in last place last season and it’s the same reason we have the league’s worst record since the streak. We have reverted to form. 

We need an obvious infusion of talent. But where will it come from? There won’t be any trades for picks or for the nondesireable players on our team (we have several). Botts would be a fool to part ways with young prospects he’s devoted time to at the NHL level. His only recourse is to bring up the kids as Harrington pointed out. But I think that’s where he and Housley differ. 

And Idon’t trust Housley at all with young talent as I think he’d put Smith and Nylander on fourth lines, see them struggle, and then sit them. Like he’s done with Pilut who, despite his struggles is literally our best defenseman from a Corsi analytics perspective. 

So we have overpaid, under talented vets who we can’t do anything with and a HC who is too timid to struggle through an all out youth movement. 

Last place beckons again, I’m afraid. Maybe we will get lucky with the lottery two years in a row. 

Oh, and Harrington is absolutely right about Scandella. He simply has to go. Now. To whatever team is willing to give us whatever for him. But again, Housley is seemingly intractable on that point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hey..   @JohnC and @K-9 , there shall be no funnin at my expense!!!!!!

I usually hate Harryington, except when he agrees with me!!! I have not even looked at the standings since Friday night, just can't bare to do it to myself. I will take a peak I guess next week when they start up again..and never look again unless they win at least 5 in a row. 

It is good to know no beers this week watching them falter and fall..maybe I can get some well needed non-alcohol induced sleep!!!!

And BTW John, i don't know why you insist every trade can only be done with short term in mind. A real hockey trade with real assets that other people want, like a Risto or a Sammy..can be traded now for assets we want. If we could trade a Nelson/Guhle/Nylander and a 1 and get a young/youngish player with term and skills back that helps the team..do it.

Also, as you may know, i love the ponies. So many times a see a young colt that breaks from the gate and wants to run fast...and the jock has him a full out lockdown with the reins. Seems to break their spirit a bit, not only in that race but in future races. I fear the Sabres have done the same to Guhle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Laughing at the Plenz reference. We are of similar mindsets when it comes to the Sabres.

While I agree that Botterill will most likely stay the course, I am also preparing for the worst. There is a reason we were in last place last season and it’s the same reason we have the league’s worst record since the streak. We have reverted to form. 

We need an obvious infusion of talent. But where will it come from? There won’t be any trades for picks or for the nondesireable players on our team (we have several). Botts would be a fool to part ways with young prospects he’s devoted time to at the NHL level. His only recourse is to bring up the kids as Harrington pointed out. But I think that’s where he and Housley differ. 

And Idon’t trust Housley at all with young talent as I think he’d put Smith and Nylander on fourth lines, see them struggle, and then sit them. Like he’s done with Pilut who, despite his struggles is literally our best defenseman from a Corsi analytics perspective. 

So we have overpaid, under talented vets who we can’t do anything with and a HC who is too timid to struggle through an all out youth movement. 

Last place beckons again, I’m afraid. Maybe we will get lucky with the lottery two years in a row. 

Oh, and Harrington is absolutely right about Scandella. He simply has to go. Now. To whatever team is willing to give us whatever for him. But again, Housley is seemingly intractable on that point. 

Respectfully, I have a different take from you and the despairing Plenzmd. This team isn't collapsing as much as it is faltering. Let's put things in perspective. The Sabres were not only the worst team in hockey last year---- they were also unwatchable. Last year, there was no redeemable entertaining value to watching them. Not so this year. Maybe that was the gruesome plan to give them a greater opportunity to pick Dahlin? So if that was the low point then let's look at where we are now. When this season is completed this team will be more than 20 pts better. I'm aware that the benchmark is low but that is where we were last year. That's progress. 

The vets that the Sabres have are all disposable. We added vets just for the sake of filling roster spots. It's really not worth being bothered by their lack of production because all of those end of the line players are systematically going to be replaced next year or at worst the year after. I believe that Mittelstadt and Tage are going to be legitimate second line players.  Episodically, they do show glimpses of talent but for the most part their lack of experience is revealed. That's not to be unexpected. It's part of the exasperating developmental process. Another player I'm following is Pilut. For a young player who hasn't played in North America I think he is showing talent. His mistakes due to inexperience can be crushing but again that is part of the developmental process. I'm hoping that Nylander and Guhle will get a chance to play this season. But if the GM decides to keep them down on the farm to get more playing time I will understand the reasoning. 

I really believe that our GM (who I'm impressed with) will make some consequential moves this offseason. That's when those types of big moves are made. I understand the frustration by the fans with not being a playoff team for so long. But I feel strongly that it would be a mistake to deal off assets to get a chance to squeak into the playoffs this season.

I understand what Botterill is doing, and I agree with it. We are not as far off as many people think. We have played well against most of the top dog teams this year. For the most part we were competitive to the end. But in the end the more talented team prevailed. I'm confident that if we stay the course by next year this team will move up into the playoff echelon. I advocate for patience and having the fortitude to trust the process. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey..   @JohnC and @K-9 , there shall be no funnin at my expense!!!!!!

I usually hate Harryington, except when he agrees with me!!! I have not even looked at the standings since Friday night, just can't bare to do it to myself. I will take a peak I guess next week when they start up again..and never look again unless they win at least 5 in a row. 

It is good to know no beers this week watching them falter and fall..maybe I can get some well needed non-alcohol induced sleep!!!!

And BTW John, i don't know why you insist every trade can only be done with short term in mind. A real hockey trade with real assets that other people want, like a Risto or a Sammy..can be traded now for assets we want. If we could trade a Nelson/Guhle/Nylander and a 1 and get a young/youngish player with term and skills back that helps the team..do it.

Also, as you may know, i love the ponies. So many times a see a young colt that breaks from the gate and wants to run fast...and the jock has him a full out lockdown with the reins. Seems to break their spirit a bit, not only in that race but in future races. I fear the Sabres have done the same to Guhle.

With respect to all your trade proposals I say absolutely not! When you take a step back to gain a step you end up in the same spot. What's the freaking point? Acting out of frustration and impulsivity is a losing proposition. My recommendation to you is to drink less and stay away from the ponies. You will end up more sober-minded and less impoverished. :)