[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Boston lost to Philly (in regulation) tonight. 

Buffalo is now 3pts behind Montreal and Boston and only 2pts behind Pittsburgh for the final wildcard spot. We have a game in hand on Montreal and Pittsburgh has a game in hand on us. 

There is only a 4pt difference between the 2nd place team in the Atlantic (Toronto) and  us, so the Sabres are still in this playoff race with the win tonight. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2018/wildcard

38 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How many third period leads has this team given up this year? Sorry, but that’s not fixed by some “process.” That’s an immediate coaching issue. Same with the power play.

I just wonder how we'd look at Housley with this record if the wins and losses were more evenly spaced out.  This team record wise is right where I expected them to be, but I didn't think our top line would carry us as much as it has.  We need to add a forward asap (preferably not a rental player) to try and jumpstart our second line hopefully without giving up too much.  If we do that and we still miss the playoffs by a comfortable margin then it's time to move on from Housley.  Looking for a head coach with a history of successfully developing young players should be the priority.

The best player on the team leading the team. 

Calgary is one of the best teams in the league. It's apparent that Calgary is the better team for the obvious reason that they have more better players. But when the Sabres play hard and smart they can for the most part can keep up. Stay the course.

https://www.nhl.com/video/eichels-stellar-ot-winner/t-277350912/c-64996803

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Never saw a player fake a line change for an ot winner before.

I just watched it now thanks to John's link.  I'm not so sure I'd call it a fake line change.  It seems more like a player biting on what he thought would be a drop pass, creating the opening.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, shrader said:

I just watched it now thanks to John's link.  I'm not so sure I'd call it a fake line change.  It seems more like a player biting on what he thought would be a drop pass, creating the opening.

Whatever you want to call it, he made Calgary look silly.  That was much needed for both Eichel and the Sabres.

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Never saw a player fake a line change for an ot winner before.

Yeah that was pretty cool. Even Mark Giordano complimented Eichel for that play. He said it looked like he was going to go off on a line change and that it was a hell of a play by Eichel. He said something you just have to tip your hat to the other team/player. 

Eichel really needed that goal (even he said as much). Hopefully it gets him going again. He was racking up points at a career pace before that injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Has McCabe asked for a trade yet, after being paired with Scandella? 

What about Hunwick if/when Scandella sits out a game and they're the extra pairing in practice?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

WTF happened to Scandella though? He was a solid top 4 defenseman for buffalo last season, even spending quite a bit of time on the top pair. 

This year he has really struggled. He’s had some good games here and there but a lot more bad ones. I keep hoping that he will return to last years form. It would be a big boost to this team if he did. But I am starting to lose hope now. 

Players do have off years and I don't believe Scandella has fully developed yet.  In the Lightning game the announcer said Hedman took 5 years to get up to speed and he was a 2nd overall.  D-men sometimes take more time, so I don't have the negativity a that a few here have.  He also gets blamed for anything if he is within 8 feet of the goal scorer.  On the goal that he hit into the net that was falling behind Hutton, he tried to get it out and he missed.  If he did nothing and it fell in the goal, he would have gotten the same amount of abuse.

9 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Players do have off years and I don't believe Scandella has fully developed yet.  In the Lightning game the announcer said Hedman took 5 years to get up to speed and he was a 2nd overall.  D-men sometimes take more time, so I don't have the negativity a that a few here have.  He also gets blamed for anything if he is within 8 feet of the goal scorer.  On the goal that he hit into the net that was falling behind Hutton, he tried to get it out and he missed.  If he did nothing and it fell in the goal, he would have gotten the same amount of abuse.

Scandella is 28 years old with 8 years in the league already. He is done baking and he is what he is at this point. I think it’s unreasonable to assume the light is gonna go on at this stage of his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Scandella is a third pairing caliber defenseman. If he plays at that level I would be more than satisfied. I'm not as harsh as many in my assessment of him, maybe because my expectation is less than some. What I would like from him is a little more consistency in his game. When defensemen make bad plays it is usually more evident than when wingers don't play so responsibly because their mistakes often directly lead to opposing scores while forward lapses are more likely to indirectly lead to scores. 

The Sabres have for the most part played well against superior teams such as Tampa, Toronto and Calgary. More often than not the more talented team prevailed. But that  is not to say the losing team (Sabres) didn't play well and hard. The problem for the Sabres is that there is an imbalance of talent throughout the roster. Or simply put there is a dearth of overall talent. That's the heart of the matter that can't be missed. While some people see the HC as a problem I don't see it that way. The last thing this team and franchise needs is a churning of the staff. My recommendation that I strongly held (right now) is to stay the course. 

36 minutes ago, shrader said:

I would have thought him to be higher than a 3rd pair d-man, but at 28, he's probably already on the down slope of his career.  It's amazing how early they get there in today's game.

Our defensive unit is exponentially better than last year's group. Having a healthy Bogo has made a difference. He's not our best defenseman but he is a player who has improved the play of everyone who has been paired with him. We have the making of a good unit now and for the future. Risto, Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe and hopefully in the not too distant future Guhle. I always considered Risto more of a second pairing caliber of a defenseman. I have elevated my view of him and consider him a legitimate top pairing player. He's certainly increased the breath of his game with more offensive participation. 

Pilut may have the most accurate shot of the defensemen. I envision him playing more on the PP because of his shooting ability. 

Dahlin is in a class of his own. A couple of years down the road when he physically matures he is going to be an elite player in this league. He already has the vision and skating ability. Now he needs mother nature to take its course and allow him to muscle up.  

Blockbuster! 

seriously though, I wish Bailey well. I’ve been waiting for that kid to put it all together since his draft year (2013). It was pretty clear that his time in Buffalo was up. I really hope a fresh start does him some good. I think he needed it, TBH. 

As for Leier, I can’t say I know anything about him. Here’s his bio -

https://www.nhl.com/player/taylor-leier-8476955

Taylor Leier Bio

Leier, 24, was selected by the Philadelphia Flyers in the fourth round (No. 117) in the 2012 NHL Draft after he had 37 points (13 goals, 24 assists) in 72 games with Portland of the Western Hockey League.

Leier, who spent the next two seasons with Portland, where he had 141 points (64 goals, 77 assists) in 126 games, signed an entry-level contract with the Flyers on Sept. 9, 2013.

In 2014-15, Leier played for Lehigh Valley of the American Hockey League, where he had 31 points (13 goals, 18 assists) in 73 games in his first professional season. He played most of the next season with Lehigh Valley before he was called up by the Flyers on Nov. 14, 2015 and made his NHL debut that night against the Carolina Hurricanes. He played in six games in 2015-16 and didn't have a point.

He played in 10 NHL games the following season and scored his first goal against the Dallas Stars on Dec. 17, 2016. After, he returned to Lehigh Valley and was named MVP at the 2017 AHL All-Star Classic.

Leier signed a one-year contract extension with the Flyers on July 14, 2017 and had five points (one goal, four assists) in 39 games in 2017-18.

He looks to have somewhat similar stats to Bailey -

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/45615/taylor-leier

Edited by BillsFan4

As much as I love watching Pettersson play, I am glad the Sabres don’t have to face him tonight. Getting 2 points tonight really helps Buffalo’s playoff outlook heading into the 11 day all-star break. 

If Dahlin records a point tonight, he will hold the record for the longest point streak for an 18yr old defenseman in NHL history.