[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Then shoot Scandella to the moon and never let him set foot on the ice again. Hunwick has to be better. 

I’m not so sure about that... lol. (Hunwick being better, I mean)

WTF happened to Scandella though? He was a solid top 4 defenseman for buffalo last season, even spending quite a bit of time on the top pair. 

This year he has really struggled. He’s had some good games here and there but a lot more bad ones. I keep hoping that he will return to last years form. It would be a big boost to this team if he did. But I am starting to lose hope now. 

45 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I wish I wasn’t such an old man and stayed up late enough to watch the puck drop...

I might, and I stress, might make puck drop. I thought i would not watch last game, and ended up watching the whole thing as I was so pissed I could not fall asleep.

But I won't be pissed tonight, so i suspect i will not be up late one way or the other

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m not so sure about that... lol. (Hunwick being better, I mean)

WTF happened to Scandella though? He was a solid top 4 defenseman for buffalo last season, even spending quite a bit of time on the top pair. 

This year he has really struggled. He’s had some good games here and there but a lot more bad ones. I keep hoping that he will return to last years form. It would be a big boost to this team if he did. But I am starting to lose hope now. 

I don't consider Scandella a second pairing caliber defenseman. Not last year or this year. At best he is a third pairing type of player. One of the worst things you can say about a defenseman is that he is inconsistent. This year he has been inconsistent. Sometimes there are episodic flashes of being good. But in general he is what he is: A third pairing backer. If a player is a third pairing talent that isn't an indictment of the player so much as it is a ranking of him. But his uneven play is what drops his standing as a player. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't consider Scandella a second pairing caliber defenseman. Not last year or this year. At best he is a third pairing type of player. One of the worst things you can say about a defenseman is that he is inconsistent. This year he has been inconsistent. Sometimes there are episodic flashes of being good. But in general he is what he is: A third pairing backer. If a player is a third pairing talent that isn't an indictment of the player so much as it is a ranking of him. But his uneven play is what drops his standing as a player. 

Last season, he was a third pair D man. At best.

This season, he is a 7 and should be seeing the press box most nights. But he has nothing to worry about as Housley goes out of his way to protect him. Pilut makes a mistake he’s out of the lineup. Scandella makes multiple mistakes? No problem.

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold text, I think this is a bit unfair to Mittelstadt. In college, he had the misfortune of playing for Don Lucia, a conservative coach who believed that freshmen shouldn’t get big, unprotected minutes in lieu of veteran upperclassmen who “earned” more minutes. In spite of that, he was still second on his team in scoring. He also missed three games playing in the World Juniors, where he dominated his international peer group. With their season on the line vs. Penn State to get a birth in the NCAA tourney, Lucia let Mitts play and he had a damned good two games with five points. His line was the only one to do anything. 

No, he wasn’t an Eichel (how many college players are?), but he played very well at the college level and dominated at times.

He dominated against his own age but didn’t quite show that same level against older opponents. That feels like an analog to making that jump to the pro game. I’m not so sure any of that means he’s ready right away, at least not for the role he was thrown into from day one. But hey, all part of “the plan”.

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Looks like Beaulieu has requested a trade. That’s what being paired with Scandella does to you!

https://mobile.twitter.com/renlavoietva

I laughed at the "pairing with Scandella" comment..but Nathan Freaking Beaulieu requesting a trade might be even funnier!!!

On a serious note, Housley sure seems to have a penchant for...what in the room? I mean last year ROR, this year Berglund, Beaulieu...i dunno, is there anything there?

Edited by plenzmd1

27 minutes ago, shrader said:

He dominated against his own age but didn’t quite show that same level against older opponents. That feels like an analog to making that jump to the pro game. I’m not so sure any of that means he’s ready right away, at least not for the role he was thrown into from day one. But hey, all part of “the plan”.

There were times he flat out dominated against NCAA competition, too, including those older than him. He would have led his college team in scoring, as a freshman at a preeminent hockey school in a preeminent hockey conference, if he hadn’t needed to miss those three games. He was better than good as a college freshmen. Again, playing for a conservative coach with long time issues giving playing time to freshmen. 

His jump to college was a helluva lot easier than his transition to the NHL. Stands to reason. 

Man, as much as I wanna kill Housley, the puck luck against this team last 4 games has been unbelievable. Another one perfect bounce off #4, right to Johhny hockey, and with 1 second left.

Lets see how they respond, thought they played a decent first

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, there’s the standard “shot of the pads, center comes in to sink the rebound” goal. The next Calgary goal will be a “shot from blue line with two guys in front of net and deflection off screen or stick”. 

Sabres seem to think they should only score with beautiful passing plays and clean shots in top of cage...we need to get sloppy goals - put Girgensons and Reinhardt in front of goal...get screens off their damn skates or sticks. Take slap shots at wing and have Skinner or Mitts grab rebounds. So frustrating when we try so hard to make “pretty plays” that fail and go the other way. 

• Like (+1) 1

We better first period, leave down 1-0. They better second, tied, 1-1. Hockey a whacked sport sometime. 

I think this this is an important period for the Sabres. Even a point here I think will help there psyche moving forward. 

*****, had not intention of watching this game. Now I am off to the fridge again!

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

We better first period, leave down 1-0. They better second, tied, 1-1. Hockey a whacked sport sometime. 

I think this this is an important period for the Sabres. Even a point here I think will help there psyche moving forward. 

*****, had not intention of watching this game. Now I am off to the fridge again!

EXY6PwS.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, K-9 said:

EXY6PwS.gif

Haha!   35 looking a little shaky to start this period, as is the whole team

texting with my nephew.,told him we due for a butt goal no?

Yep, there it is. Should have gone to bed. Man, to see the difference between these teams. 

Now, we really need a butt goal

got the bounce! Now get point!

got the point! Now let’s get two!

Edited by plenzmd1

Yess!!  They desperately needed that win. 

Buffalo played a damn good game tonight against one of the best teams in the NHL. 

Happy to see Eichel get the game winner. I think that might be his first point since coming back from injury?  He hasn’t looked quite right since coming back. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Yess!!  They desperately needed that win. 

Buffalo played a damn good game tonight against one of the best teams in the NHL. 

Happy to see Eichel get the game winner. I think that might be his first point since coming back from injury?  He hasn’t looked quite right since coming back. 

2nd point. He had an assist on Dahlin’s goal.

• Like (+1) 1