[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Eesh! 

Don’t get me wrong as I’m eagerly looking forward to Pilut’s debut, but when Bogo is your only D man that remotely qualifies as a “stay at home” type, color me concerned. 

There will be riots if Tennyson plays before Pilut. 

Nelson is also a stay at home defenseman. I thought he played reasonably well for a third or fourth pairing player. When he gets regular play I get queasy. 

As like you I'm eager to see Pilut play. Want to see his canon shot. Up to now the Sabres haven't had the need to draw from Rochester. As the season grinds forward and injuries materialize it is going to be interesting to see who they bring up. I wonder if Bailey is going to be the forgotten player in the system who ends up be dispatched in a small deal.  

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Nelson is also a stay at home defenseman. I thought he played reasonably well for a third or fourth pairing player. When he gets regular play I get queasy. 

As like you I'm eager to see Pilut play. Want to see his canon shot. Up to now the Sabres haven't had the need to draw from Rochester. As the season grinds forward and injuries materialize it is going to be interesting to see who they bring up. I wonder if Bailey is going to be the forgotten player in the system who ends up be dispatched in a small deal.  

I forgot about Nelson. Hmm, I wonder why. Must be that queasy feeling is contagious. We need to get better at the blue line, regardless. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I forgot about Nelson. Hmm, I wonder why. Must be that queasy feeling is contagious. We need to get better at the blue line, regardless. 

By the end of the year Guhle will probably be brought up. By next year he should be a third pairing regular. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (17-7-3) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 28 vs. NSH (18-8-1) at 8 PM ET on 12/3

SUNRISE, Fla. — When Rasmus Dahlin made his NHL debut in October, a full building in Buffalo and a good portion of the hockey world were watching.

The Sabres had another Swedish defense prospect play for the first time Friday. There were maybe 9,500 people in the arena. Only a fraction of those even knew Lawrence Pilut was debuting.

Despite the disparity in audiences, Buffalo is expecting big things from both of them. Pilut showed why.

The defenseman held his own during a 3-2 overtime loss to Florida. He was active defensively and showed his much-lauded offensive instincts. He was feisty despite a modest 5-foot-11, 180-pound frame. He made a few mistakes, but none cost the Sabres.

“It was an OK debut, I would say,” Pilut said.

His coach went a step further.

“I really liked Lawrence stepping in in this situation,” Phil Housley said. “He handled himself really well.”

It was obvious Pilut had played professionally before skating on the Panthers’ ice. While Dahlin is an 18-year-old wunderkind drafted first overall, Pilut turns 23 at the end of December and signed as a free agent after five seasons in the Swedish Hockey League.

“The experience I’ve had over in Sweden helps me out a lot,” Pilut said. “I’m ready for it.”

Here’s a shift-by-shift look at Pilut’s first NHL game, which won’t be his last.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

As others have stated it's not surprising that Florida was quicker and faster in this game after we played a hard fought game with Tampa the previous night.

My takeaway from this game is that the Sabres are well situated with two good goalies. It didn't seem that Pilut stuck out in his inaugural NHL game. That's a good thing. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (17-7-3) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 28 vs. NSH (18-8-1) at 8 PM ET on 12/3; Dahlin Named Rookie of the Month