[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Much respect for Botterill. I know he didn’t draft Eichel and Dahlin was a result of being really bad + lottery luck, but losing ROR and Kane, cutting bait on Lehner and acquiring Hutton and Skinner appear to be home run decisions 

Sticking with Bogosian seems to be a great move as well, and Girgensons and Larsson too.  Nobody would have faulted Botterill from culling any of them

I also think Sobotka is playing well behind the scenes, and Tage Thompson is getting stronger every game and has a very high ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Much respect for Botterill. I know he didn’t draft Eichel and Dahlin was a result of being really bad + lottery luck, but losing ROR and Kane, cutting bait on Lehner and acquiring Hutton and Skinner appear to be home run decisions 

When Botterill came in he didn't start making major changes just for the sake of making changes and immediately getting his imprint on the franchise. What he did took more fortitude and wisdom. He used his first year to assess the organization from top to bottom. The player exiting interviews were not pro forma end of the season acts. The responses were seriously considered and what he needed to do beyond adding talent was changing the mixture. Obviously, he has done a tremendous job in bringing in talent but just as important is bringing in players who most importantly blend in well and support the younger players. One player who has taken it upon himself to mentor a young player, Mittelstadt, is Okposo. He is having a good season but more importantly he has set the example for them. 

My belief is that the biggest factor in the Sabres astounding rebound is the play of the goaltenders. The GM brought in Hutton who didn't attract much offseason attention as a #1 goaltender. So far he has been a stalwart player for us. His body of work has been exceptional. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'm with you, I never heard it until the past week. Seems very trendy and one that will age quickly.

Twitter ruins everything.  Brain cells die each time a word is shortened.

As for the team, there's so much analysis of why things are working right now.  At this point, I don't really want to think about it.  I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 1

The Hockey Fights Cancer night is such an emotional night.  I'll give credit to Marty and Duff for holding it together for the most part during their segments, especially the post game...:cry:

I was watching the NHL network and they showed the Risto goal with a pip of the guys watching live in studio and it was amazing.  The reaction was classic, have to see if I can find it.

Exciting game, exciting team, just fun to watch...House is rocking..As Shrader said, sit back and enjoy!

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

Twitter ruins everything.  Brain cells die each time a word is shortened.

As for the team, there's so much analysis of why things are working right now.  At this point, I don't really want to think about it.  I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride.

It’s so much better that it’s a Buffalo team. The CBJ had a 16 game win streak a year or two ago. It got like 5 min a day coverage and no one cared. Great hockey on a hockey city is so exciting. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s so much better that it’s a Buffalo team. The CBJ had a 16 game win streak a year or two ago. It got like 5 min a day coverage and no one cared. Great hockey on a hockey city is so exciting. 

Make no mistake about it that the Buffalo market was a deflated and demoralized market. Tickets were tough to give away. Even this season there wasn't a quick buy in by the paying fans. There were plenty of vacant seats in the beginning of this season. There was too much ugly history of bad and boring hockey over the past number of years. It wasn't until the team started to not only win but play entertaining and watchable hockey.

I'm an ardent Sabre fan but last year I walked away from watching the team and wasted my Center Ice investment. The change was that the team had to demonstrate that it was worth not only watching but being invested in. They have certainly made the case that this team is worth paying attention to. The fans that they lost along the way of their uninspiring stretch were fans that they didn't deserve to have. 

Now that this organization is presenting a product worthy of watching they are getting the support that has been so pent up. Over the past number of years this organization didn't deserve support because the product was garbage, as was the entertainment value. Clearly the dynamics have changed around. I'm very happy for the fans. They deserve this success. And now the seats are full with enthusiastic fans. That how it should be.  

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Make no mistake about it that the Buffalo market was a deflated and demoralized market. Tickets were tough to give away. Even this season there wasn't a quick buy in by the paying fans. There were plenty of vacant seats in the beginning of this season. There was too much ugly history of bad and boring hockey over the past number of years. It wasn't until the team started to not only win but play entertaining and watchable hockey.

I'm an ardent Sabre fan but last year I walked away from watching the team and wasted my Center Ice investment. The change was that the team had to demonstrate that it was worth not only watching but being invested in. They have certainly made the case that this team is worth paying attention to. The fans that they lost along the way of their uninspiring stretch were fans that they didn't deserve to have. 

Now that this organization is presenting a product worthy of watching they are getting the support that has been so pent up. Over the past number of years this organization didn't deserve support because the product was garbage, as was the entertainment value. Clearly the dynamics have changed around. I'm very happy for the fans. They deserve this success. And now the seats are full with enthusiastic fans. That how it should be.  

It is truly great to finally see KBC the way it should be. I watch the highlights on a loop just to watch the fans 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mr Beane- I am hoping you are taking notes

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

No. It's been a thing in the hockey world pretty much forever.  Canadian players shorten everything and add "LY" top the end. 

I can understand why a Sabres' fan working would ask a question about that word.   We haven't witnessed a real "celly" on the ice in a decade.   My two biggest celebrations since the Briere and Drury debacles were losing the game to Arizona that clinched Eichel and winning the  Dahlin lottery.  I got more joy out of watching fan reactions to Eichel being picked than shooting we've seen hockey-wise.

Until now.

Exactly.  Just pay attention to the nicknames teammates have for each other.  It's almost exclusively a shortened last name with either an "S" or an "LY."

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Sticking with Bogosian seems to be a great move as well, and Girgensons and Larsson too.  Nobody would have faulted Botterill from culling any of them

I also think Sobotka is playing well behind the scenes, and Tage Thompson is getting stronger every game and has a very high ceiling.

The improvement in Tage's play has been noticeable recently.  He's really starting to look like an asset.

Edited by eball

1 minute ago, eball said:

Exactly.  Just pay attention to the nicknames teammates have for each other.  It's almost exclusively a shortened last name with either an "S" or an "LY."

Move always wondered what they would do with a name that already ends in those letters. Wiley-ey? And then there’s a name like Smith. I suppose it has to be Smitty, but I’m not crazy about nicknames that actually lengthen a name. 

Yeah ah I know, great topic after the 10th win in a row.