[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Post-Game Report: 11/13 vs. Tampa Bay

Final Score
  1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final SOG
Lightning
(12-5-1)
0 1 0 1 31
Sabres
(10-6-2)
1 1 0 2 19

Top Notes
  • The Sabres are now 4-0-1 in their last five home games. It is the first time the team has posted points in five consecutive home games since they earned points in seven straight from Jan. 7 to Feb. 7, 2017 (6-0-1).
  • After scoring tonight, Jeff Skinner (13 goals) finished the game with sole possession of second place in the NHL.
    • Skinner also finished the game tied with Patrick Kane for the league lead with his 11 even-strength goals.
  • Sam Reinhart recorded an assist on Skinner’s goal and now has seven points (1+6) in his last five games.
    • The Sabres are now 9-0-0 this season when Reinhart records a point.
  • With his goal tonight, Kyle Okposo now has three points (2+1) in his last three games against the Lightning.
  • Conor Sheary’s assist on Okposo’s goal gives him five points (3+2) in his last five games.
  • Nathan Beaulieu recorded two assists to earn his sixth career multi-point game and first since March 30, 2017 vs. Florida (0+2).
Tonight’s Goaltenders

Tonight’s Stats
Team Goaltender Decision SV% GAA
Lightning Domingue L .895 2.05
Sabres Hutton W .967 1.00

Updated Season Stats
Team Goaltender Record SV% GAA
Lightning Domingue 3-2-0 .887 3.43
Sabres Hutton 7-6-1 .916 2.65

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Jeff Skinner
Sabres forward Kyle Okposo
Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton
Lightning head coach Jon Cooper
Lightning forward Steven Stamkos
Lightning forward Anthony Cirelli
Lightning defenseman Erik Cernak

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

3  things

1) "some nights you're gunna have to grind one out" .......brother I married..you preaching to the choir

2) Dude looks like his draft class should be 16, not 10. Damn, he looks young

3) when does full-blown "skinner watch/panic set in. Will be about Christmas for me. Once we get to like Valentine's day, he will just wait to July no?

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Games like last night are what this team has been lacking for years -- the ability to "steal" a win from an excellent opponent when you aren't playing your best.  Just awesome.

That's exactly what they have been lacking.  You have to be able to steal a win when not playing at your best.  In previous years they had to play exceptionally well for 3 periods to get a win, that's impossible to maintain for 82 games.  Plus there are so many new players still getting used to each others tendencies, it really bodes well for the future!

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

so...this may the quietest library I have heard..WTF..big game, tennis claps after huge saves

We likely posts

I was actually very loud in the arena yesterday, for some reason the broadcasts microphones didn't really pick up the noise from ice level.  Kind of like the Bills/Indy broadcast that sounded like there were a dozen fans in attendance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

so...this may the quietest library I have heard..WTF..big game, tennis claps after huge saves

We likely posts

I'm not blaming the fans for their tepid reaction. On the home team's side of the ice there wasn't much action. It seemed that we were on our heels for most of the game. Don't misinterpret my comment because a win is a win. And I certainly appreciate that.This win was against a genuine Cup contender. But from an entertainment standpoint  for the paying customers it was lackluster. 

Milbury made the comment in his post game analysis, that some are criticizing, that this was essentially a blah game that had little entertainment value. He was right. This was a highlighted game to the North American hockey audience.It had few scintillating plays that would make the fans stand up and appreciate and there wasn't much of a flow to the game. 

Okposo made an astute comment after the game that good teams win games like these when they don't play a good three period game. He was right that the Sabres in general didn't play well. There was drama in this game because it was close the whole game. But the drama certainly didn't emanate from the home team's offensive game. From a home team standpoint this game was a dullard. 

The mics were weird for NBC Sports.  You could hear a group of individual fans near a Mic as clear as day.  You couldnt really hear crowd noise.  Even when they scored, you could barely hear the goal horn and music.  NBC Sports/OLN/Versus is such a bad partner and terrible broadcasting.  The rights were gifted to them due to Snyder/Comcast.  I couldnt believe what I was hearing, also, with that team broadcasting the game.  That woman was amateur hour, and the pbp guy was a zombie.

The arena HAS come to life a bit.  I have been to 4 games and it is much better.  They also improved the presentation, including my biggest pet peeve: they finally changed the tone on the organ to sound like an arena organ.  The old one for the history of that arena had zero punch.  

• Like (+1) 1

I moved for work (for anyone who’s paid attention, yes.. again). I know live in northern NJ; 25 miles from Central Park. NJ allows sports betting. So when you download draft kings, it gives you the option to make an actual bet. The first time was against the Pats. I took the Evil Empire -13.5 assuming a blowout. I ended up winning. 

Anyway, I just bet $100 on Sabres to win the eastern conference. $100 pays $4,000. 

On 11/14/2018 at 9:36 AM, May Day 10 said:

The mics were weird for NBC Sports.  You could hear a group of individual fans near a Mic as clear as day.  You couldnt really hear crowd noise.  Even when they scored, you could barely hear the goal horn and music.  NBC Sports/OLN/Versus is such a bad partner and terrible broadcasting.  The rights were gifted to them due to Snyder/Comcast.  I couldnt believe what I was hearing, also, with that team broadcasting the game.  That woman was amateur hour, and the pbp guy was a zombie.

The arena HAS come to life a bit.  I have been to 4 games and it is much better.  They also improved the presentation, including my biggest pet peeve: they finally changed the tone on the organ to sound like an arena organ.  The old one for the history of that arena had zero punch. 

The building is definitely mic'ed strangely.  I remember back at the home opener I was watching to see what kind of reaction Eichel would get on the heels of being named the captain.  On tv, that reaction sounded exactly the same as for every other introduction that night.  Now maybe it was tepid, but I have a hard time believing that the crowd reacted exactly the same way to Eichel as they did to whichever of the Nelson/Beaulieu combo was playing that night.