[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

12-12: Zach Bogosian with Jeremy and Sal on WGR (12:13)

#Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian joins Jeremy and Sal next on WGR! Tune in:

Bogosian - the first two periods last night was not the way we wanted to play. We're back on the right side of things now, and hopefully we can build off that. We kept chomping at the bit and Skinner came up in the clutch. #Sabres

Bogosian - I'm 28, which is old now-a-days, but the energy in the room is great. There's great chemistry between the veterans and the kids. I've told the young guys to soak it all in. It flies by fast. #Sabres

Bogosian - We can all play together on the blue line. Whether you're on the left or right side, you can just read off each other. Playing with Dahlin for the last month and a half has been fun. It's all about going out there and playing your game. #Sabres

Bogosian - The last few years didn't go the way any of us would've liked. As a group, I think we've come together even closer. Eichel is a mature 22-year-old captain. We've tried to have honest conversations, and we've done a good job of addressing some team issues. #Sabres

Bogosian - The buzz around the city has been very fun to be a part of. #Sabres

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Those three are also generating a number of chances for the opponent. 

Eichel turning the puck over 3 steps over the offensive blue line is inexcusable.  I counted at least 4 times where he gifted the Kings a clean break out and a nice chance on the counter attack. 

Risto turned the puck over with a garbage pass from point to point on what should have been the first goal for the Kings.

A minute later Eichel turns the puck over entering the zone, Dahlin tries to declare a fair catch and its 1-0 Kings. 

Dahlin should be paired with a true stay at home Defenseman like Bogo.  I like his offense but he turns the puck over in bad spots.

With those three, I'll take the good with the bad. And it is nice to have a goaltender who might save a bad mistake or two to keep them in the game.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Hes a great talent for sure and I love that hes scoring but he can't keep doing that *****.

Last night at least 2 or 3 times he tried to stick handle into the zone, got stripped, Kings turn the other way. 

Another time he had a clean entry but made a lazy pass to Reinhart on the right wing which was picked off by the back checking winger.  More zip and its a dangerous attack.

Mind bogglingly he skated a puck out from the offensive corner to the point and then got pushed off the puck at the blue line.  Fast break going the other way.

I also agree with this.  Eichel should simplify.  It would make everyone's life easier.

46 minutes ago, eball said:

Well, duh!  Of course talent matters.  But what did the Sabres acquire for Drunkin' Donut?  Not all that much talent.  They could have kept him and much of the talent you mention would still have been brought in.

If the Sabres would have kept ROR with his large contract that included a number of future years then it certainly would have had ramifications not in acquiring Skinner but in signing him to a long term contract. Any team that acquired him knew that he was on an expiring contract. Not being encumbered with the ROR contract will certainly help the Sabres to retain him. You also have to remember that Reinhart wasn't signed and that his next contract was going to be bigger.  

Botterill as the GM is not thinking on a year to year basis. He's looking ahead to having the flexibility to keep the young talented players when their contracts come up, like Reinhart who was signed on a bridge deal. The GM did an end of the year assessment of his roster. ROR in his exiting interview indicated that he preferred to be dealt. So the GM made the decision to trade him for the best deal he could get.  The point here is that dealing the player wasn't just about his contract, which was a factor. It was about dealing with the issue of a player who didn't want to be here. I want to make it clear that I'm not making the claim that he was a negative influence because I don't believe that he was. But if he wasn't committed to this team then for both sides it was best to move him. The Sabres last year were the worst team in hockey. So a roster shakeup was inevitable. Moving a player on an expensive contract who wasn't enamored to be here should not be a surprise. . 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres would have kept ROR with his large contract that included a number of future years then it certainly would have had ramifications not in acquiring Skinner but in signing him to a long term contract. Any team that acquired him knew that he was on an expiring contract. Not being encumbered with the ROR contract will certainly help the Sabres to retain him. You also have to remember that Reinhart wasn't signed and that his next contract was going to be bigger.  

Botterill as the GM is not thinking on a year to year basis. He's looking ahead to having the flexibility to keep the young talented players when their contracts come up, like Reinhart who was signed on a bridge deal. The GM did an end of the year assessment of his roster. ROR in his exiting interview indicated that he preferred to be dealt. So the GM made the decision to trade him for the best deal he could get.  The point here is that dealing the player wasn't just about his contract, which was a factor. It was about dealing with the issue of a player who didn't want to be here. I want to make it clear that I'm not making the claim that he was a negative influence because I don't believe that he was. But if he wasn't committed to this team then for both sides it was best to move him. The Sabres last year were the worst team in hockey. So a roster shakeup was inevitable. Moving a player on an expensive contract who wasn't enamored to be here should not be a surprise. . 

Somebody should pay you to write about the Sabres. Consistent insight and very well written.

DuTXRpGW0AAs5aU.jpg

Game Preview: 12/13/18 vs. Arizona

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Tuesday, December 11
Los Angeles 3 at Buffalo 4 (OT)
Goals: Girgensons, Eichel, Larsson, Skinner
Goalie: Ullmark (26 saves/29 shots)
PP: 2/8; PK: 4/4; Shots: Buffalo 47 – Los Angeles 29

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 119)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 31 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 31 games
Marco Scandella (upper body, Nov. 27; injured reserve) – 7 games
Jake McCabe (upper body, Nov. 29; injured reserve) – 5 games
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 2 games
Patrik Berglund (illness, Dec. 11) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/7: Recalled D Matt Tennyson and G Scott Wedgewood from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Casey Nelson on IR
12/12: Assigned D Matt Hunwick to Rochester (AHL) on a conditioning loan

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Dec. 15: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 16: Buffalo at Boston, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 18: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 21: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 22: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
COYOTES at SABRES
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Coyotes this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Arizona 3-0 in Arizona on Oct. 13
  • The Sabres are 7-2-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Coyotes; 5-3-2 at home.
  • This is the 80th game all-time between Buffalo and Arizona/Winnipeg; Buffalo has a 47-23-9 series record.
  • The Sabres are 25-8-7 at home against the Coyotes/Jets all-time.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Somebody should pay you to write about the Sabres. Consistent insight and very well written.

Thank you for your kind comment. The reality is my knowledge about hockey compared to some of the other people who post here is at best superficial. But it is fun and rewarding to follow a team that has a plan and is executing it. The organization is being run by a GM who has a road map and a vision that you can see it being intelligently implemented. 

In the past number of years the Sabres were unwatchable. Decisions seemed to be made on an ad hoc and short term basis. That's not the case now. You can disagree with some of the decisions but at least there is an understandable rationale for them.  Now this is a competitive team with an upside. And they are fun to watch. I'm hoping that the Bills can follow the same script. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Shirly, you cant be serious!

@JohnC provides well thought out, long insight....often wrong, but hey we love him anyway!!!!

BTW, think I heard St Lois had a fight at practice the other day no? was that in this thread?

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thank you for your kind comment. The reality is my knowledge about hockey compared to some of the other people who post here is at best superficial. But it is fun and rewarding to follow a team that has a plan and is executing it. The organization is being run by a GM who has a road map and a vision that you can see it being intelligently implemented. 

In the past number of years the Sabres were unwatchable. Decisions seemed to be made on an ad hoc and short term basis. That's not the case now. You can disagree with some of the decisions but at least there is an understandable rationale for them.  Now this is a competitive team with an upside. And they are fun to watch. I'm hoping that the Bills can follow the same script. 

You need to have more than a plan though.  You also need that eye for talent.  There was a rationale to Murray's moves after the Eichel draft as well.  The problem was that he swung and missed on pretty much every single one outside of maybe the O'Reilly trade.  Time will tell when it comes to Botterill, but the job certainly gets much easier when you have a seasoned Jack Eichel and then are given the gift of Dahlin.  This is where the real fun begins, building your house on top of a foundation instead of on rubble.

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Shirly, you cant be serious!

@JohnC provides well thought out, long insight....often wrong, but hey we love him anyway!!!!

BTW, think I heard St Lois had a fight at practice the other day no? was that in this thread?

I hope I haven't offended you. I appreciate good writing. I think you are making a joke of some kind regarding St. Lois, but I'm afraid I'm missing it.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

learned this week that a clearing to the corner that hits the ref in the cup and goes in the net is not an allowable goal

Where did this happen?  I have no idea why it wouldn't count.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I hope I haven't offended you. I appreciate good writing. I think you are making a joke of some kind regarding St. Lois, but I'm afraid I'm missing it.

oh lord no, I was just busting on @JohnC as we often have differing opinions..which makes for a better conversation on the board!

The St Louis thing was for him too..how many teams have fights  in practice? Think the Sabres had some kind of practice issue last year...St Louis did this year...common component in gloom and doomer ROR!!!!

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/tempers-flare-at-sabres-practice-after-altercation-between-kane-and-falk

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/will-fight-at-practice-spark-the-blues/article_f4cceaee-b569-56a6-989f-50668095ca60.html

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

oh lord no, I was just busting on @JohnC as we often have differing opinions..which makes for a better conversation on the board!

The St Louis thing was for him too..how many teams have fights  in practice? Think the Sabres had some kind of practice issue last year...St Louis did this year...common component in gloom and doomer ROR!!!!

Ah, I see; inside joke. Back when I was young, ROR would have been classified as emo or Goth or something . . . then again, I've been called an Eyore so maybe I shouldn't throw stones.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah, thanks for posting this.  I read comments from folks griping about a few turnovers at the blue line and just shake my head.  Eichel is playing at an elite level right now and there is no other way to slice it.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

You need to have more than a plan though.  You also need that eye for talent.  There was a rationale to Murray's moves after the Eichel draft as well.  The problem was that he swung and missed on pretty much every single one outside of maybe the O'Reilly trade.  Time will tell when it comes to Botterill, but the job certainly gets much easier when you have a seasoned Jack Eichel and then are given the gift of Dahlin.  This is where the real fun begins, building your house on top of a foundation instead of on rubble.

Botterill was much more thoughtful than the crackpot Murray. It's not surprising that Botterill used his first year to thoroughly analyze the operation from top to bottom, including the minor league system. After the review he made a series of moves. I point this out simply as a contrast to Murray. 

Of course we both can agree that you have to have an eye for talent. As you noted it doesn't take too much talent to select Dahlin in this draft or Eichel in his draft. One of the  differences between Botterill and Murray is that Botterill is less reactive when making a personal decision. I still can't get over giving up a first round pick for Lehner, a goalie that Ottawa probably wasn't even going to keep. Another major difference between the GMs is that I believe that Botterill is very much committed to player development more so than Murray. 

I always seriously consider what you are saying.  I then take the opposite position. I find that very comforting. My motto is: What would Shrader do?/ Then do the opposite. :)