[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

On 12/6/2018 at 12:06 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Secondary scoring has dried up along with the issues with the PP.  They should have more success in the next few games against a softer schedule.

Well these remain problems after Saturday's game against the Flyers.  Need to get well against the Kings and Ducks before weekend tilts against the Caps and Bruins. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (17-9-4) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 31 (MSG-B) vs. LAK (11-19-1) at 7 PM ET on 12/11

12-11: Phil Housley with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (11:11)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next for his weekly visit on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - it's one of those things. You get into a bit of a rut. I haven't minded the way we've played over the last few games, but we have to find ways to win games. Saturday was one of those days, though, where we were off. #Sabres

Housley - There were certainly some areas of concern with our game Saturday, especially our play away from the puck. The shorthanded goal took the wind out of our sails and we didn't respond the right way. There will be games like that, but I didn't like how we finished. #Sabres

Housley - We need to finish games. Especially the games in Tampa and against Toronto, we have to keep putting the puck behind them and force them to make mistakes. We did a terrific job of that during the win streak. #Sabres

Housley - If we play the right way, we will get results. If we play more consistently, we will give the fans the best play we can. #Sabres

Housley - if you're having trouble scoring, you have to go to the net and pay the price to score. We've gotten away from that in the last five games. Those are things that can help us turn things around. We have to get pucks to the net. #Sabres

Housley - Our breakouts and timing is a bit off where we're not connected and can't gain entry into the offensive zone. We have to simplify things, get the puck on goal and converge to the net. Let's get set up and start firing pucks. #Sabres

Housley - After Saturday's game against the Flyers, we came together and addressed some things that need to get better and move forward. We did a good job of recognizing those things and had a good practice yesterday. Hopefully that will reflect in our game tonight. #Sabres

Housley - Our work, our checking detail and our work away from the puck was there for during the winning streak. We got away from that lately, and we have to get back to work as a five-man unit if we want to have a consistent result. #Sabres

Housley - Hutton looked good yesterday, liked how he practiced. We'll see how things are this morning with him getting back tonight. #Sabres

Housley - All of our injured guys are skating on their own, which is good to see with their rehab. #Sabres

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 12/11/18 vs. Los Angeles

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Saturday, December 8
Philadelphia 6 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Eichel (2)
Goalie: Ullmark (35 saves/41 shots)
PP: 0/1; PK: 3/3; Shots: Philadelphia 41 – Buffalo 30

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 113)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 30 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 30 games
Marco Scandella (upper body, Nov. 27; injured reserve) – 6 games
Jake McCabe (upper body, Nov. 29; injured reserve) – 4 games
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 1 game
Carter Hutton (upper body, Dec. ? – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/5: Assigned D Matt Tennyson to Rochester (AHL)
12/7: Recalled D Matt Tennyson and G Scott Wedgewood from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Casey Nelson on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Dec. 13: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 15: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 16: Buffalo at Boston, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 18: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 21: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
KINGS at SABRES
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Kings this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Los Angeles 5-1 in Los Angeles on Oct. 20
  • The Sabres are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Kings; 8-2-0 at home.
  • This is the 125th game all-time between Buffalo and Los Angeles; Buffalo has a 60-45-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 35-17-9 at home against the Kings all-time.

BUFFALO, N.Y. — It was inevitable Rasmus Dahlin was going to play a lot of minutes at a time in the NHL. What’s most striking is how quickly the Sabres rookie earned them regularly.

After playing 20 or more minutes in a game four times in his first 18 games, including his NHL debut, Dahlin has played 20+ minutes in 11 of the past 12 games and has averaged 23:02 over that span. Dahlin’s time to shine has arrived and, while that’s not much of a surprise considering his talent and ability, it’s been a learning process for him.

“I didn’t really come in with expectations. I didn’t know how it should go,” Dahlin said. “Of course everyone wants to play a lot of minutes, but now when I play I feel comfortable with a lot of minutes. It feels, of course, better. I feel more comfortable out there.”

It’s well known that the 18-year-old defensive phenomenon had to adjust to playing both in the NHL and on the smaller ice surface in North America. But for any defensive prospect taken that high in the draft, the more anticipated progression is when the reins will loosen — and the rest will follow.

Too early to call out a "must win" tonight?  Man, after all of those good feelings during the winning streak, and even some good play in the four games after, they need to get the taste of Saturday's debacle out of their mouths quick.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

hey @26CornerBlitz is our boy Cal playing tonight? 

I got no problem with him waiting to sign till he was a free agent, but a big (emoji we can not use here) for not picking the Sabres..hope he plays and Sabres drill him for a 5 spot tonight

Quick played last night, so that's what I expect. 

Tribute video? :)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Projected Lineup

Zemgus Girgensons will step back in on a line with Evan Rodrigues and Johan Larsson after being scratched against Philadelphia. He'll replace Patrik Berglund, who will sit due to an illness.

Here's the full projected lineup, based on Monday's practice:

53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
43 Conor Sheary - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 21 Kyle Okposo
72 Tage Thompson - 17 Vladimir Sobotka - 29 Jason Pominville
71 Evan Rodrigues - 22 Johan Larsson - 28 Zemgus Girgensons