RIP Anthony Bourdain

Really hated to hear this.  Loved his style and was introduced to many different cultures watching his "destination" shows on TV.  He lived hard, and obviously had demons.  So sad he couldn't overcome them.

Mental illness sucks.

I was introduced to him on CNN at work.  

CNN was only station allowed on at work (although person in charge seemed to find it okay to turn it to soccer games) despite government paying for DirectTV (Imaging paying DirectTV and only watching one station).  His show and "This is Life with Lisa Ling" were only things I wanted to watch that were on but the rest were just noise I was trying to ignore.

He had a great story telling style; it reminded me of some of the story tellers at Renaissance faires I go to.

Government got tired of complaints about CNN post election and they changed the 'allowed station' to local news station which is at least 50% infomercials.   Not seen a show since.

A pity about this.  Reminds me of Robin Williams who all to live for but could not deal with issues anymore.

CNN really dedicated a lot of air time last night to this story.

Tonight they are airing a series of "Parts Unknown" greatest hits if anyone is interested.

Edited by Fadingpain

I have always been a big fan and even have his Le Halles cookbook(I love Fbombs in cookbooks!).  I dug A Cooks Tour, and Kitchen Confidential is mandatory reading for any chef.  This is so tragic.  I was shocked to saw that he had a show on CNN and wondered if felt like a total sellout-like some of his targets.  Bourdain lived every chefs dream life- travel the world, sample all the world flavors, party with locals, have chef buddies show you their town, getting hooked up by chefs world wide constantly....all that, Tony had an 11 year old daughter, and it still didn't help his depression.  I wish peace to Tony and his family  

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have always been a big fan and even have his Le Halles cookbook(I love Fbombs in cookbooks!).  I dug A Cooks Tour, and Kitchen Confidential is mandatory reading for any chef.  This is so tragic.  I was shocked to saw that he had a show on CNN and wondered if felt like a total sellout-like some of his targets.  Bourdain lived every chefs dream life- travel the world, sample all the world flavors, party with locals, have chef buddies show you their town, getting hooked up by chefs world wide constantly....all that, Tony had an 11 year old daughter, and it still didn't help his depression.  I wish peace to Tony and his family  

Mental health can be a real tough one. Having fun and being satisfied can be two very different things and sometimes you see it get harder the better your life is. Imagine you are living your absolute dream and you are still struggling with those thoughts, for instance. 

As an an outsider I can’t say much about what he was dealing with as an individual but will say life’s often harder than it looks.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

One of my favorite episodes of No Reservations was in Paris. He's doing an early morning tour of the modern Les Halles and for breakfast they have a rare piece of beef on baguette with red wine, and he says something like, "This is breakfast. !@#$ Cheerios man!"

I cooked for 6-7 years in my youth and having read read Kitchen Confidential wished I had written it. He was an astute observer of the places and cultures he visited, and I appreciated his commentary. I've met his Russian buddy Zamir a couple times and follow him on FB. He's crushed. It makes no sense....RIP Tony.

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

CNN really dedicated a lot of air time last night to this story.

Tonight they are airing a series of "Parts Unknown" greatest hits if anyone is interested.

Watching it now.....such a cool dude. What a bummer. Huge loss. Probably the only time I'll watch cnn this year.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

16 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Watching it now.....such a cool dude. What a bummer. Huge loss. Probably the only time I'll watch cnn this year.

Also watching now too. Thanks to both of you for the heads up. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

...and so could have Robin Willliams.   What’s your point?

(I am) taking umbrage w/article... Claiming we need to throw more money into health. 

Maybe it's the soul crushing environments people are competing in?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 6/9/2018 at 11:14 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

(I am) taking umbrage w/article... Claiming we need to throw more money into health. 

Maybe it's the soul crushing environments people are competing in?

Saw an article today about how hard his schedule had been and that he was spending more time alone when he could 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Did a final autopsy/toxicology report come back on this yet? Just curious. What's a little strange to me is all reports that I have seen point to him being in a good place. One of those things that don't add up.

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Did a final autopsy/toxicology report come back on this yet? Just curious. What's a little strange to me is all reports that I have seen point to him being in a good place. One of those things that don't add up.

My wife who is usually a very good judge of this stuff says she saw signs of him being “disconnected” or “dark” in the episodes aired so far this season.  I remain stunned that he went out in the way that he did.  At the same time, it’s paradoxically not unexpected.  The guy had demons and I think he sought to overcome them through work.  

On 6/9/2018 at 8:18 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Who needs a shrink when you’re ok because you’re on your meds.  It’s when you go off your meds that there is a problem. Not saying this is what happened but often times it is. This is why insurance companies shy away from people on depression meds. They tend to go off them. Imagine thinking you’re cured and drop the meds only to find out you’re not. That’s depressing even to a non/depressive. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Who needs a shrink when you’re ok because you’re on your meds.  It’s when you go off your meds that there is a problem. Not saying this is what happened but often times it is. This is why insurance companies shy away from people on depression meds. They tend to go off them. Imagine thinking you’re cured and drop the meds only to find out you’re not. That’s depressing even to a non/depressive. 

Just a theory but I have always thought that's what a lot of these mass shootings are caused by. Either weird effects by the drugs or going off them.

35 minutes ago, Dante said:

Just a theory but I have always thought that's what a lot of these mass shootings are caused by. Either weird effects by the drugs or going off them.

black box warnings on anti-Ds warn of effects that build up a mass murderer in no time flat.

38 minutes ago, Dante said:

One of the terrorists we captured stated that before these suicide missions and mass killings.....these guys get drugged up big time.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One of the terrorists we captured stated that before these suicide missions and mass killings.....these guys get drugged up big time.

most of the mug shots for mass shooters taken in show them drugged up to their eyeballs with anti-D meds