RIP Anthony Bourdain

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I always found it to be interesting, given his history as a drug addict, that he continued to drink alcohol quite liberally.

This would suggest that his addiction just shifted focus.  Keep in mind he also gleefully smoked weed on the show when he could.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Very sad.  Having grown up in a restaurant, Kitchen Confidential is one of the most influential books I have ever read in my life.  Such a wise man.  This sucks.

Great book. Man drugs are bad. Even if you kick the habit it seems the ghost follows you forever.

I really enjoyed him in his shows. He was a natural on TV because his personality, his enthusiasm was authentic. I liked him on everything he was on. He and the Frenchman Ludo were great foes on "The Taste"

But it's so sad I didn't know he still had these demons. 

Another influential book, to myself anyway, is Ramsay's "Roasting In Hells Kitchen". I never realized his childhood was so bad

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I always found it to be interesting, given his history as a drug addict, that he continued to drink alcohol quite liberally.

I think that was only when the camera was rolling.  He said a few times he had no alcohol in his home.  Granted he may have only been home 5 days a year.

20 minutes ago, Dante said:

I really enjoyed him in his shows.

I did too..but must say I saw him live in Richmond a few years back..thought he was trying a bit too hard and taking himself a bit too seriously. Still watched his show, but not with the same enthusiasm as I once did.

RIP

aways loved his shows

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think that was only when the camera was rolling.  He said a few times he had no alcohol in his home.  Granted he may have only been home 5 days a year.

I read he was on the road 250-270 days a year . So maybe 100 days one

Edited by Buffalo716

40 minutes ago, Dante said:

Great book. Man drugs are bad. Even if you kick the habit it seems the ghost follows you forever.

I really enjoyed him in his shows. He was a natural on TV because his personality, his enthusiasm was authentic. I liked him on everything he was on. He and the Frenchman Ludo were great foes on "The Taste"

But it's so sad I didn't know he still had these demons. 

Another influential book, to myself anyway, is Ramsay's "Roasting In Hells Kitchen". I never realized his childhood was so bad

Ludo's post on Insta brought a tear to my eye (as have several) - Bourdain was such in influence on so many...

Ludo.jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

The first time I ever heard of him was seeing his Iceland episode of No Reservations in 2005. I was enamored from that moment on. Read Kitchen Confidential, and Medium Raw, and retroactively watched A Cook's Tour and kept up with him through the years. He certainly lived his life to the fullest and this is NOT the way I thought he would go out. 

Fittingly and most sadly, he was found by his best friend Eric Ripart who is an amazing chef and a great counterpart to Tony. 

RIP, Anthony. I will miss your work terribly.

Same here. From the moment I first started watching him, I was mesmerized storytelling and way he carried himself. I read his first book, saw him on the lecture circuit when he came to our city. He was cool personified. Once again, proves we really don't know the demons people face on a daily basis. Mental Health issues don't discriminate. 

4 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Dead serious.  The constant chase for pleasure through (often dangerous) vices is usually indicative of some sort of issue.

This is not correct, at all. I know many people who you would (ignorantly) consider "hedonist" who have never had hint of mental illness or depression. On the other hand, I've known more than a few who suffer from depression who do not embrace life. 

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

This is not correct, at all. I know many people who you would (ignorantly) consider "hedonist" who have never had hint of mental illness or depression. On the other hand, I've known more than a few who suffer from depression who do not embrace life. 

So hedonism doesn't exist or your friends aren't actually hedonists or what?  I don't think I know the same people you know so maybe you can tell me what I think.

Also Wes Anderson sucks and his movies suck harder. 

• Like (+1) 1

Saw the headline, was shocked, and immediately thought "I bet it was suicide."

And so it was.  What a shame.

I bumped into him at a Borders book store in the DC area years ago.  He had a book out and was the guest speaker that night.  I met him in line for the coffee bar.    

Cool guy, stylishly dressed...

He strikes me as the kind of guy to have some demons and I'm not surprised by the suicide, though I wouldn't have predicted it either.  

The world's lost a good chef.  

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Awww, no.  I always thought you were a pretty riteous poster, Levi.  You just went from Michael to Fredo Corleone in my book, brotha.

Please take it back...

Love you buddy, just not a fan. Just something about all his movies makes me cringe. Between that and constantly being bored during his films (Fantastic Mr. Fox excepted) I just can't sit through them. 

25 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Love you buddy, just not a fan. Just something about all his movies makes me cringe. Between that and constantly being bored during his films (Fantastic Mr. Fox excepted) I just can't sit through them. 

Agree with you on most of them 

lot of snoozefests      The hotel Budapest one was pretty good though 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:54 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Wow. That’s interesting. Any specific signs or just a gut feeling?

He at times openly discussed having those demons 

hes is a recovering addict that drank like a fish 

I’m surprised of the timing - but not shocked at all that he might end up here. Anyone that’s familiar with mental health and actually paid attention to him and not just watched with jealousy of his job likely picked up on him wrestling with stuff. He did a pretty good job of addressing those demons it seems but when that’s a daily choice to be alive- all it takes is one day of making the wrong choice and you end up here. Most of us rarely think twice of that choice, but some have to really make it conciously thousands of times without getting it wrong one time. I’m surprised on set, with his best friend is where he slipped... though he openly admitted that despite the life looking charmed, it was also very hard. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1