RIP Anthony Bourdain

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

RIP

Rich and famous does not equal happiness.

Mental health does not get the attention and resources that it should. 

Amen, brother.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

don't equal happy....mental illness knows nothing of money...

why is it not a completely rational and well-thought-out and logical decision sometimes to decide you've had enough ??

11 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I always though alcohol would be his demise (maybe it contributed?)  Anyways he always appeared to live life to the fullest until the end. RIP.

I always found it to be interesting, given his history as a drug addict, that he continued to drink alcohol quite liberally.

28 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

When you have been around mental illness for a majority of your life you kind of can get a feel for it in other people at times.  For some reason, he fit that mold to me.  Can't put it into words, but I can remember having a sense that he fell into this bucket while watching his shows and, unfortunately, this is not shocking to me at all.  Such a shame. 

Wow. That’s interesting. Any specific signs or just a gut feeling?

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

why is it not a completely rational and well-thought-out and logical decision sometimes to decide you've had enough ??

A permanent solution to a temporary problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

The first time I ever heard of him was seeing his Iceland episode of No Reservations in 2005. I was enamored from that moment on. Read Kitchen Confidential, and Medium Raw, and retroactively watched A Cook's Tour and kept up with him through the years. He certainly lived his life to the fullest and this is NOT the way I thought he would go out. 

Fittingly and most sadly, he was found by his best friend Eric Ripart who is an amazing chef and a great counterpart to Tony. 

RIP, Anthony. I will miss your work terribly.

• Like (+1) 1

Bourdain was a huge inspiration in my life, I'm shocked today...

I grew up in a restaurant family / family restaurant and though Kitchen Confidential came out after it closed, in Bourdain I immediately saw my grandfather Anthony.  It reminded me of all of those great days and nights spent in the kitchen, sometimes making magic, sometimes being miserable.  But always living that Cook's Life.

Then later, as I started really traveling for work, his TV shows inspired me always try the local joint, to appreciate the culture, to eat something weird that I never have before.  To explore the world through food.  I've been to so many joints simply because he went and said they were amazing.  I still have a list on my phone of restaurants to hit...

Big picture though, Bourdain was a reminder to me that you CAN make it, dreams can come true.  To make it from a heroin addicted line cook, to world traveler and voice of a generation of "foodies" was an amazing climb.

As others have said, it just reminds you that you never know what another person is living through, that even while life seems amazing for someone it might not be, and that mental health is something we all need to pay a lot more attention to.

RIP Anthony, you'll be missed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I always found it curious that with his self-admitted history of heroin and cocaine addiction he was still such a hard drinker, and hinted of other things. With that said, I loved the way he called out the pharmaceutical companies as dope dealers who know exactly what they are doing pushing obscene amounts of narcotics into markets that could not possible have legitimate needs at that level. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow. That’s interesting. Any specific signs or just a gut feeling?

Hard to explain, mannerisms, ways of speaking, I suppose...in actuality it may be just side effects of medications that are familiar more so than the actual illness.

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

A permanent solution to a temporary problem. 

There are plenty of people out there that this is not a temporary problem for, people with chronic treatment resistant depression for example.  I've seen people have depression for 25+ years that cannot be cured or effectively treated.  On top of that, all the medications and treatments (like electric shock therapy for example) that they try further destroys the brain and body making the situation even worse when they don't work.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Hard to explain, mannerisms, ways of speaking, I suppose...in actuality it may be just side effects of medications that are familiar more so than the actual illness.

There are plenty of people out there that this is not a temporary problem for, people with chronic treatment resistant depression for example.  I've seen people have depression for 25+ years that cannot be cured or effectively treated.  On top of that, all the medications and treatments (like electric shock therapy for example) that they try further destroys the brain and body making the situation even worse when they don't work.

I’ve also known people who have battled long term depression and came back to have happy days and productive lives. At what point to you advise giving up?

I bet his daughter wishes he had fought through it to try another day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT criticizing him... I’ve seen how dark it can get. I am NOT without empathy.  I just hate to see people give up, for their sake and for the sake of those they leave behind. 

I realize the QUALITY of life may never be what we would hope for, but I have to believe it beats the alternative. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Unrepentant hedonism is often a dead giveaway, for whatever reason. 

Hmm..not sure if you are serious..

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

I always found it curious that with his self-admitted history of heroin and cocaine addiction he was still such a hard drinker, and hinted of other things. With that said, I loved the way he called out the pharmaceutical companies as dope dealers who know exactly what they are doing pushing obscene amounts of narcotics into markets that could not possible have legitimate needs at that level. 

no hinting..when he went to Amsterdam he was sampling everything that city had to offer..getting baked on camera long before we had any legal weed here in the US.

By far and away my favorite TV personality.  No Reservations revolutionized travel television and I thought he was a perfect ambassador for NYC while he traveled the world.  I feel like my balls have been kicked up into my stomach this morning upon hearing this news.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm..not sure if you are serious..

Dead serious.  The constant chase for pleasure through (often dangerous) vices is usually indicative of some sort of issue.

Edited by LeviF91

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve also known people who have battled long term depression and came back to have happy days and productive lives. At what point to you advise giving up?

I bet his daughter wishes he had fought through it to try another day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT criticizing him... I’ve seen how dark it can get. I am NOT without empathy.  I just hate to see people give up, for their sake and for the sake of those they leave behind. 

I realize the QUALITY of life may never be what we would hope for, but I have to believe it beats the alternative. 

Never.  Just was saying that it's not always a temporary problem.