how is Josh Allen doing so far?

6 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Sounds like he's been missing a lot of throws that he need to make.

Hate to say it but he's probably gonna bust. 

Where on earth are you getting "a lot" of throws? I haven't heard that at all. Ive heard one or two. 

4 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

Exactly.  How come we I get no detailed report on any of the other qbs?

FIFY

Said reports are out there.  But if you believe they're not, it might hinder your ability to find them

Example from this week's press access day:

Peterman on fire

Nathan Peterman took the bulk of the reps with the first-team offense on Thursday and thrived in doing so. He completed 17 of his 21 passes during team drills and looked particularly impressive during the two-minute drill portion of practice. Three of his completions went to Brandon Reilly on Thursday and another three went to Jeremy Kerley. Peterman seemed to be much more decisive with the football than we've seen him in the past. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/06/36557332563730/10_observations_from_week_3_of.html#incart_river_index

Example from last week's press access day:

AJ McCarron has been the most consistent QB for the Bills

McCarron is received the majority of the first-team reps for the Bills this week, followed by Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen. (It was Peterman first last week.) He was consistent in the two-minute drill, and though it didn't end up in a touchdown he led the team into the red zone.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/1/17416554/buffalo-bills-ota-recap-from-thursday-practice-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds-kyle-williams-may-31

I think this is (another) thread for people to pontificate about how a rookie QB should be developed. No one here knows enough to make any meaningful statements, and I'm not even sure if the BIlls have a solid idea  how to proceed yet.

In other words, it's all poppycock.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

I think this is (another) thread for people to pontificate about how a rookie QB should be developed. No one here knows enough to make any meaningful statements, and I'm not even sure if the BIlls have a solid idea  how to proceed yet.

This may be the first time ever, but you just may have been the first person to have offended poppycock. 

I just listened to Chris Brown on One Bills Live (aka, The John Murphy/Steve Tasker Show).  It was the recorded version at the Bills website.  I know the Bills pay his salary, so you have to take that into account with anything he says, but What I take from it is: Allen is mentally behind McCarro and Peterman, but that is to be expected as they've had the playbook longer and as veterans they would be expected to master it more quickly.  Allen is learning quickly and making up ground.  Brown did not address accuracy.  Allen has missed some passes as per reports by others.  I think the reasons for that are varied, and some are issues that will take care of themselves as Allen gets more familiar with the offense and his receivers (and vice versa) Others have been missed because he still needs to become more consistent in his delivery (footwork etc.)  The thing that seems to stick out for Chris Brown is that Allen is not mentally flustered in the slightest.  He knows the plays he's supposed to do, knows what his receivers are supposed to do and has an easy command of the huddle.

Edited by TigerJ
spelling
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

If a team drafts a QB within the first 10 picks and he doesn't start game one ... then he was the wrong pick.  Period.

There's a good chance that none of the 4 QBs taken in the top 10 will be starting on opening day.  I wouldn't be inclined to write any of them off that soon.  

• Like (+1) 2

Bills coach Sean McDermott wouldn't rule out Josh Allen getting first-team reps at minicamp.

Allen has been practicing with third-stringers behind A.J. McCarron and Nathan Peterman. He's in the early stages of learning Buffalo's scheme. The Bills want to fast track Allen and could get him some time with the starters before the end of next week's minicamp.

Source: ESPN
Jun 8 - 5:11 PM

On 6/8/2018 at 1:11 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry. You lost me at Paxton Lynch... him and Allen are nothing alike

Lynch played in a full gimmicky spread and couldn’t dream about making some of the throws Allen makes. Allen played under center making pro styled reads 

Mahomes had the same  footwork flaws as Allen and they were even worse... he also never played under center 

If you think Mahomes could have started, Allen can too because they are very similar . Only Allen is 6’5 240lbs and has a stronger arm and a better athlete 

Mahomes had a lot of question marks as well

Great post! Allen is the better prospect than mahomes. Mahomes was never considered a top 10 pick until 1 month before the draft. Allen was for a year and half. If I’m choosing between mahomes or Allen/Tre white I’m taking what we got all day long 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Great post! Allen is the better prospect than mahomes. Mahomes was never considered a top 10 pick until 1 month before the draft. Allen was for a year and half. If I’m choosing between mahomes or Allen/Tre white I’m taking what we got all day long 

I liked Mahomes last year, but if you had told me we'd end up with Allen/White/Edmunds, I'd happily go with the latter. Indeed, straight up comparison, I prefer Allen, though I still think Mahomes can be quite good.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:11 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry. You lost me at Paxton Lynch... him and Allen are nothing alike

Lynch played in a full gimmicky spread and couldn’t dream about making some of the throws Allen makes. Allen played under center making pro styled reads 

Mahomes had the same  footwork flaws as Allen and they were even worse... he also never played under center 

If you think Mahomes could have started, Allen can too because they are very similar . Only Allen is 6’5 240lbs and has a stronger arm and a better athlete 

Mahomes had a lot of question marks as well

Allen is a better athlete then Mahomes?  Not on this planet.  Mahomes is far more mobile and accurate off balance then Allen.  Allen is a great athlete for being a 6'5" gork, but Mahomes is quicker and more agile.  Allen has a slightly stronger arm but Mahomes isn't far behind.

Both QB's get the ball out very quickly but I give the edge to Mahomes because he's more compact.

As far as Mahomes' footwork, a good part of it is unorthodox because he used to be a pitcher and that's the footwork he uses on his long throws.  It's not like he doesn't set his feet it's just very unorthodox in this sport.

The thing that separates Mahomes from almost any other quarterback is he processes the game and makes decisions at a very high level.  The guy who wrote this article gets it, just check out the videos and explanations if you don't feel like wading through all the prose:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/3/16842168/patrick-mahomes-all-22-vs-the-broncos-buckle-up

That's why the Chiefs had no problem trading Alex Smith, not because of Mahomes' stats or any one play he did or didn't make.  He got out there vs a pressure Bronco defense and made good reads and quick decisions.

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Allen is a better athlete then Mahomes?  Not on this planet.  Mahomes is far more mobile and accurate off balance then Allen.  Allen is a great athlete for being a 6'5" gork, but Mahomes is quicker and more agile.  Allen has a slightly stronger arm but Mahomes isn't far behind.

Both QB's get the ball out very quickly but I give the edge to Mahomes because he's more compact.

As far as Mahomes' footwork, a good part of it is unorthodox because he used to be a pitcher and that's the footwork he uses on his long throws.  It's not like he doesn't set his feet it's just very unorthodox in this sport.

The thing that separates Mahomes from almost any other quarterback is he processes the game and makes decisions at a very high level.  The guy who wrote this article gets it, just check out the videos and explanations if you don't feel like wading through all the prose:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/3/16842168/patrick-mahomes-all-22-vs-the-broncos-buckle-up

That's why the Chiefs had no problem trading Alex Smith, not because of Mahomes' stats or any one play he did or didn't make.  He got out there vs a pressure Bronco defense and made good reads and quick decisions.

Yes Allen is a better Athlete. He’s 3 inches taller 25 pounds heavier and he ran a faster 40. 4.75 compared to 4.8... he is also shifty and elusive especially for his size

Josh Allen also breaks way more tackles in the pocket and outside the pocket than Mahomes. He’s a better athlete on the football field

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes Allen is a better Athlete. He’s 3 inches taller 25 pounds heavier and he ran a faster 40. 4.75 compared to 4.8... he is also shifty and elusive especially for his size

Josh Allen also breaks way more tackles in the pocket and outside the pocket than Mahomes. He’s a better athlete on the football field

BUT....who is the better bowler? 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/8/2018 at 6:58 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Example from this week's press access day:

Peterman on fire

Nathan Peterman took the bulk of the reps with the first-team offense on Thursday and thrived in doing so. He completed 17 of his 21 passes during team drills and looked particularly impressive

Example from last week's press access day:

AJ McCarron has been the most consistent QB for the Bills

Yeah, but what did they roll in a three game series?  Ok, for fairness' sake, alley balls and rental shoes.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

BUT....who is the better bowler? 

I am!

On 6/8/2018 at 5:11 PM, OJABBA said:

I am pretty sure it is mostly brouhaha, with some poppycock and balderdash sprinkled in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

***I am biased***  but being as objective as I can be here....

1.  I don't want to lose site of the actual thread topic.  This is a Josh Allen thread and about how he is doing.  The reports coming out all match up with his scouting report.  He has an incredible arm.  He is mobile.  He looks the part, and he is missing some throws.  He is behind the others learning the playbook because the others have been here longer but he is catching up....high wonderlic score would indicate he can learn fast.  This is ALL as advertised.....and he needs to SIT.  I've done some analysis of QB's who started in the super bowl over the past 20 years and I looked at the first 16 games each of them started.  The data in this case shows that sitting did not matter.  A guy who sat 3 years had the same QB rating as the guy who started from day one over the course of the their first 16 games.  It suggests that a super bowl starting caliber QB is going to be good wether he sits or not....and that the first 16 games of on field experiecne matter more than anything else.  ......in the case of Allen, I would say he is one of the few who WOULD BENEFIT from sitting.  His low completion pct playing at a small school, and the notion that he had a poor line and had to move around a lot suggests his reps in college were not very productive reps....in that he was often repeating plays where he had to run around etc and throw to less than decent targets....he isn't at a point where he would benefit by getting on an NFL field until he's had a TON of reps, in practice, with NFL level coaching, getting him prepared for the speed of the game, getting him used to the idea that he'll need to trust a pocket will be there and make reads to guys moving a lot faster.  He needs to sit at least a year for all of this to take hold.  Against the data, in this case...the exception is Josh Allen...there has never been such an obvious case for completely ruling a guy out of any plans to start for at least a year than this case with Allen.  For the benefit of your team and your future....root for him to SIT.

2.  Again...I am biased....and trying to be objective as I can....Mahomes is going to be a generational talent...you'll see it soon enough.  If you draw your opinions on box scores, you are missing A LOT.  Mahomes did have identifiable issues with his footwork, and he did make some glaringly poor throws in college.  It's why he didn't go first overall...he needed some work.  He got work.  .....I can post a ton on this etc...but this is a Bills forum...I understand where I am here....I hope Allen works out for the Bills...I am looking forward to seing how it plays out in time.  Lots of new QB talent coming into the leauge this past coupole seasons...very exciting times.

3.  If nothing else....let Peterman or McCaron take the beating for the first 8 games at least.  If you are honest about where the Bills roster is at this time, it isn't that great.  Especially on offense.  Let the kid sit...let the lesser guys take the pounding, and the wrath of the fans and media....then when he does get put into game action later on...the season will long be over, the team and fans will be ready to look at the remaining games to see what Allen can do and how he progresses...instead of looking at him as the guy who is going to save the franchise right now (he isn't ready!)  SIT. SIT. SIT.  Patience....and more paitience.  Keep your shiny toy in the box for a while....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let’s wait for Mahomes to do something first...i got nothing against the guy and I’ll be the first to acknowledge if he is a “generational talent” but at the moment I’m thinking that the Chiefs should have taken Watson instead..

Like they should have taken Kelly or Marino back in 1983... (ouch)..

Edited by Aussie Joe