how is Josh Allen doing so far?

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Pretty much. He has great arm strength, makes good throws, makes bad throws, has much more to learn.

Allen is a project, he needs to mature in a lot of aspects of his game. Unless there is an injury or Allen performs dramatically better in camp/pre-season there should be no need to rush Allen into action. Allen might need 2 years to sit depending on how well the coaching staff is able to work with him. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You're trolling, right? Aaron Rodgers would have been a home run pick at #1 overall. Most rookies don't start game one these days. I'll assume you're joking.

I wasn't trolling; I was joking.

And the Aaron Rodgers comparison would work if AJ McCarron was already an imminent first-ballot Hall of Famer.  So the comparison doesn't work.

10 minutes ago, Paulus said:

The attention whore with a heart for eveyone...

Part of me is happy to be a regular, but the other part of me misses the Vegas Knight's "professionals" walking the subs on these here boards. It sucked when they all got picked up by the reality police. 

I'm happy that you're regular, too.  It shows, babe.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

If a team drafts a QB within the first 10 picks and he doesn't start game one ... then he was the wrong pick.  Period.

Eli Manning wrong pick, Phillip Rivers wrong pick, Carson Palmer wrong pick, Jared Goff wrong pick, and there are many other examples of QB's not playing right away that went on to be uber successful in the NFL. In fact there is evidence that sitting a QB for most of their rookie year is the best way to go. This has to be trolling. 

13 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

My 2 cents on this.

Before the draft, NO ONE anywhere was saying Josh Allen would be a day one NFL starter.  If ever there was a guy who needed to "sit and learn" it is Josh Allen.  Allen is the same guy today he was before the draft..a physical specimen with a powerful arm....who has CLEARLY IDENTIFIABLE flaws that need to be addressed before he would be considered ready to get onto an NFL field.  

Allen is at MINIMUM a one year bench project and probably should be brought along even more slowly than that given what he is at this point.  For comparison, look no further than Paxton Lynch.  Go read his scouting reports pre draft a couple years ago..he was a "2-3 year project" with great size and arm who played in a spread BLA BLA BLA.  They knew he was a project when they took him....and they got impatient and have given up on him already out there.  I can't say it's justified to have given up or not, but it's a little unfair to call a "2-3 year project" a bust when you haven't given him 2-3 years EVERYONE though it would take to develope the guy.  This is the danger with Allen.  It is VERY HARD for a coaching staff to survive at 2-3 year development QB and see it though to where it pays off.  If NOTHING ELSE, then ending the playoff drought last season might have bought your staff enough credibility and time to see it through....but that won't matter if the team is losing while waiting for Allen to be ready and the fans quit showing up...ownership will be tempted to compell the coaches to get the kid on the field NOW, or fire the coaches to placate the impatient fans.  It's going to be a rough go.  ....and after the time has been put in...you better get some results that show he is the QB to lead the team or a housecleaning comes and this all starts over again.

One other note....as much as I love Mahomes...and I think he could have started and done fairly well last season, KC had a pretty unique situation being able to sit the kid, work on his issues, while fielding a division winning team with a really good QB onboard already.  Whole lot easier for even me, to wait while Smith was still leading a good football team.  

Buffalo has a really rough schedule to start the year off.  Let AJ take that beating..take the negative press, ....Allen needs work and reps...for at least a whole year....I'm normally of the shcool of thought that if a QB is going to be good, then he will be good wether he sits or not. ...this would be an exception.  You drafted a KNOWN project...now let him go through "THE PROCESS" of being a project.  If it is going to pay off at all, it has to be this way.

If Mahommes started in his first year he probably would have looked like crap.....

he frankly didnt look great in the little time he got

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Eli Manning wrong pick, Phillip Rivers wrong pick, Carson Palmer wrong pick, Jared Goff wrong pick, and there are many other examples of QB's not playing right away that went on to be uber successful in the NFL. In fact there is evidence that sitting a QB for most of their rookie year is the best way to go. This has to be trolling. 

Given the BILLS are replacing pretty much the entire interior of the OLINE, it probably behooves the team to wait to put a green rookie under center.

I think there are rare cases when starting a first round QB is the ok but the majority of the time there is significant risk.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

If a team drafts a QB within the first 10 picks and he doesn't start game one ... then he was the wrong pick.  Period.

Yeah I really dont agree with that

It really is gonna depend how the other qbs look....if AJM looks decent he should stop and let AJM work on his body mechanics....there really is not a need to rush him.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I wasn't trolling; I was joking.

And the Aaron Rodgers comparison would work if AJ McCarron was already an imminent first-ballot Hall of Famer.  So the comparison doesn't work.

I have a hard time with any of these type of comparisons.

It seems to me that if Josh Allen needs development that's what the Bill's coaches should be doing concerning him and him alone.

Whatever the timeline is should not be driven on how well AJ McCarron or Nate Peterman are playing.

14 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

My 2 cents on this.

Before the draft, NO ONE anywhere was saying Josh Allen would be a day one NFL starter.  If ever there was a guy who needed to "sit and learn" it is Josh Allen.  Allen is the same guy today he was before the draft..a physical specimen with a powerful arm....who has CLEARLY IDENTIFIABLE flaws that need to be addressed before he would be considered ready to get onto an NFL field.  

Allen is at MINIMUM a one year bench project and probably should be brought along even more slowly than that given what he is at this point.  For comparison, look no further than Paxton Lynch.  Go read his scouting reports pre draft a couple years ago..he was a "2-3 year project" with great size and arm who played in a spread BLA BLA BLA.  They knew he was a project when they took him....and they got impatient and have given up on him already out there.  I can't say it's justified to have given up or not, but it's a little unfair to call a "2-3 year project" a bust when you haven't given him 2-3 years EVERYONE though it would take to develope the guy.  This is the danger with Allen.  It is VERY HARD for a coaching staff to survive at 2-3 year development QB and see it though to where it pays off.  If NOTHING ELSE, then ending the playoff drought last season might have bought your staff enough credibility and time to see it through....but that won't matter if the team is losing while waiting for Allen to be ready and the fans quit showing up...ownership will be tempted to compell the coaches to get the kid on the field NOW, or fire the coaches to placate the impatient fans.  It's going to be a rough go.  ....and after the time has been put in...you better get some results that show he is the QB to lead the team or a housecleaning comes and this all starts over again.

One other note....as much as I love Mahomes...and I think he could have started and done fairly well last season, KC had a pretty unique situation being able to sit the kid, work on his issues, while fielding a division winning team with a really good QB onboard already.  Whole lot easier for even me, to wait while Smith was still leading a good football team.  

Buffalo has a really rough schedule to start the year off.  Let AJ take that beating..take the negative press, ....Allen needs work and reps...for at least a whole year....I'm normally of the shcool of thought that if a QB is going to be good, then he will be good wether he sits or not. ...this would be an exception.  You drafted a KNOWN project...now let him go through "THE PROCESS" of being a project.  If it is going to pay off at all, it has to be this way.

Sorry. You lost me at Paxton Lynch... him and Allen are nothing alike

Lynch played in a full gimmicky spread and couldn’t dream about making some of the throws Allen makes. Allen played under center making pro styled reads 

Mahomes had the same  footwork flaws as Allen and they were even worse... he also never played under center 

If you think Mahomes could have started, Allen can too because they are very similar . Only Allen is 6’5 240lbs and has a stronger arm and a better athlete 

Mahomes had a lot of question marks as well

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry. You lost me at Paxton Lynch... him and Allen are nothing alike

Lynch played in a full gimmicky spread and couldn’t dream about making some of the throws Allen makes. Allen played under center making pro styled reads 

Mahomes had the same  footwork flaws as Allen and they were even worse... he also never played under center 

If you think Mahomes could have started, Allen can too because they are very similar . Only Allen is 6’5 240lbs and has a stronger arm and a better athlete 

Mahomes had a lot of question marks as well

To be perfectly honest (and something that should scare the heck out of our resident Chiefs fan) the better comparison in players is probably Mahommes to Lynch

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think that was the viewpoint our late unlamented GM Buddy Nix held.   The result was reluctance to pull the trigger and "reach for" or "overvalue" a QB.

With the decrease of pro-readiness in college QB due to the change in college offenses and the increase in the importance of the QB position, I no longer think it's true.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that was the viewpoint our late unlamented GM Buddy Nix held.   The result was reluctance to pull the trigger and "reach for" or "overvalue" a QB.

With the decrease of pro-readiness in college QB due to the change in college offenses and the increase in the importance of the QB position, I no longer think it's true.

I agree 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking at the offense, this team is currently built for McCarron or Peterman to be the starting QB. They need to draft or sign some elite speedsters when Allen is ready to start. Kerley and Streater aren't close to enough. 

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

Your opinion is noted. Move along.

8 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

How can you say he's wrong? This isn't 2004 bud ... I sort of agree with this. He has the easiest competition then any QB, it's not like he's going against Joe Flacco or Sam Bradford... his competition is McCarron & Peterman... top 10 QB's normally start...if he isn't ready...then why draft him in the top 10??

This was a good point

Top 10 QB's usually don't start week 1 lately. Goff sat. Wentz started. Watson sat. Mahomes sat. Trubisky sat.

Pretty normal for top QB's to sit at least for the first few weeks of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Allen is doing just fine.

Exactly.  How come we get no detailed report on any of the other qbs? Hmmmm.......  I see Allen as doing what is expected, more or less. And then I see  a bunch of guys with too much time on their hands who act like they are part of the staff throwing out opinions on how he looks. None of the guys cutting on him have ever seen him throw a pass in person, little alone in camp. But they are all wannabe experts. Self anointed know it alls. Makes me giggle reading them puff up and throw out their "professional " opinions. Most laughable. These types just need to practice what they preach, give themselves time to actually watch him themselves, and then give out an opinion. But you can't fix stupid. Not that I am calling anyone in particularly stupid, maybe their thoughts though.

Edited by BB@Shooter