how is Josh Allen doing so far?

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Perhaps the proper term for him is "solid" which he definately is.....he starts everywhere he goes.

But that really isnt the point of my post......it is about sending a solid starter packing for a lottery ticket and saying that he will be better without actually having seen it.

And Mahommes may very well end up being better....but to say it before you have actually seen it (on another teams message board no less?)

No.....just no

I can certainly agree with that about Mahomes.  Way too soon to say he will be better or that he will even be a franchise QB.

14 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Jay Fixit...please....break down what you see in the GIF....I am very interested to know how you see this.

I see horrible footwork, off balance throws and things that will get him into trouble in games that mean something.

Watchig that clip makes me cringe. He’s like a marionette with a strong arm.

17 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

If you attend a Buffalo Bills game at New Era Field, you may see a large number of Josh Allen jerseys in the crowd.

Allen, the No. 7 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, is having his jersey fly off the shelves at DICK'S Sporting Goods. According to the site's Jersey Report, Allen's Bills jersey is No. 2 among all rookies this season. The only player who has had more jerseys sold than Allen is New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley. Quarterbacks Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen are also in the top 10 of rookie jersey sales this season. Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, was the only first round rookie quarterback to not make the top 10 in jersey sales at DICK'S Sporting Goods. You can also look at how Allen's jersey has sold compared to the draft class this week (No. 3) and in the last 30 days (No. 3) at the site.

In terms of overall jersey sales, Allen is holding his own against veterans as well. The quarterback is No. 9 in overall jersey sales this season. Allen is listed behind New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and in front of Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

This is actually pretty amazing.

I could live with his career being between those 2.  LOL

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I see horrible footwork, off balance throws and things that will get him into trouble in games that mean something.

Watchig that clip makes me cringe. He’s like a marionette with a strong arm.

He isn't off balance on either throw.  unlike many QB's who will spin away and run when the outside rush is collapsing the pocket, Mahomes goes forward, keeping his eyes downfield...and delivers a strike right on target.  The other play he moves around in the pocket...again, his eyes scanning the field the whole time as you can see his head progressing through targets...he sets and throws a lazer 20 yards downfiled right on target.  He isn't off balance on either of these.  I can show you one where he doesn't set his feet and tries to use nothing but arm to throw the ball deep downfield and it ends up being underthrown, but it isn't these two plays.  Anyhow....interesting how you see a QB doing everything wrong on these two plays and I see a QB doing what you'd want an NFL QB to do in both of them.  

3 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

He isn't off balance on either throw.  unlike many QB's who will spin away and run when the outside rush is collapsing the pocket, Mahomes goes forward, keeping his eyes downfield...and delivers a strike right on target.  The other play he moves around in the pocket...again, his eyes scanning the field the whole time as you can see his head progressing through targets...he sets and throws a lazer 20 yards downfiled right on target.  He isn't off balance on either of these.  I can show you one where he doesn't set his feet and tries to use nothing but arm to throw the ball deep downfield and it ends up being underthrown, but it isn't these two plays.  Anyhow....interesting how you see a QB doing everything wrong on these two plays and I see a QB doing what you'd want an NFL QB to do in both of them.  

Yikes.

11 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

He isn't off balance on either throw.  unlike many QB's who will spin away and run when the outside rush is collapsing the pocket, Mahomes goes forward, keeping his eyes downfield...and delivers a strike right on target.  The other play he moves around in the pocket...again, his eyes scanning the field the whole time as you can see his head progressing through targets...he sets and throws a lazer 20 yards downfiled right on target.  He isn't off balance on either of these. 

I think you bring up a great point about him always moving forward just before he throws.  For me, Mahomes has unorthodox footwork, he does move his feet a lot in the pocket but also sets them very quickly to make a throw.  Those who complain about his footwork ignore the consistent quality of the passes that result.  Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see this fall!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I think you bring up a great point about him always moving forward just before he throws.  For me, Mahomes has unorthodox footwork, he does move his feet a lot in the pocket but also sets them very quickly to make a throw.  Those who complain about his footwork ignore the consistent quality of the passes that result.  Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see this fall!

There are QB who have unorthodox footwork or platform or throwing motion and make it work.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are QB who have unorthodox footwork or platform or throwing motion and make it work.  

I won't pretend to know what good footwork looks like. Sports is replete with athletes that find success practicing whatever has got them there so far.

The only athlete that caught my eye as having something that didn't work was watching Vince Young throwing the football like he was flinging a turd from his hand

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I won't pretend to know what good footwork looks like. Sports is replete with athletes that find success practicing whatever has got them there so far.

The only athlete that caught my eye as having something that didn't work was watching Vince Young throwing the football like he was flinging a turd from his hand

Even so I think what did in Vince Young wasn't  his throwing motion, but his "knowing motion", knowing where to go with the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Actually does look pretty accurate here. And his throwing motion looks so weird. Like he is completely throwing with his wrist, the arm motion gets the power, but the wrist flick of the turd determines the accuracy. And even then it worked.. to your point, who cares about mechanics when you see results.

Side note, I feel like Kenny Britt could have been Megatron talent with the right team, intangibles, etc. Him still being a solid WR right now after everything is a testament to that.

I've seen worse "knowing motion" do better and last longer in this league. IIRC he had that mental episode with the Titans, or family, where they couldn't find him. Speculations of suicide (correct me if I'm wrong please), that got him out of the Titans QUICK. He was never the same since. Combine that with the little things like below average decision making, accuracy.. he was even on the Bills!.. but he made a 180 degree turn over the course of that 24 hours.

And I'm a longhorns fan, him and Durant will forever be my favorite 'Horns. 

TLDR I agree with you, mechanics don't mean jack. If Allen's hitting his guys, I don't care if he's drop kicking every pass.

EDIT: YouTube literally just autoplayed to his interview on undisputed where he explains he was watching a football night game and didn't have his phone with him. If true.. nuts, 10 years before cellphones didn't exist. Also, I hate Jeff Fisher with a passion. Definition of a quarterback killer.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Even so I think what did in Vince Young wasn't  his throwing motion, but his "knowing motion", knowing where to go with the ball.

There is some good discussion here about rookie QB's and the differences between college football and the NFL...

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See Aaron Rodgers playoff TD. I watched alot of tape on Pat coming out of college (still wish we drafted him) and he has this uncanny ability to sense when he's off balance and adjust his throwing motion accordingly, almost like he's throwing a baseball (which is his background). Either way, its fun to watch a qb who can throw a pass with perfect ball placement that should not have perfect ball placement.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1