CBS Sports:Bills Potential Trade Partner for Saints LB Klein?

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I posted this idea on March 15th. It's in the archives. 

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/203005-trade-idea-aj-klein/?tab=comments#comment-4960980

Anyway, Klein would be a good fit. He actually started at SAM for theSaints in their base defense and moved to MIKE in nickel defenses. He would be really good depth and a much better SAM than Lorax. It would allow Lorax to be even more of a part time guy and gives you functional depth if Tremaine struggles. Also, I love me some Milano, but he isn't exactly a proven player. I like his potential, but it's too early to be totally sold. Klein makes a lot of sense and while his contract seemed huge on paper, I don't think there is a ton of guaranteed money there. 

...my apology...did a search before starting thread and saw yours in archive but could not post to it...............

52 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Is 20 essentially a voidable year that both parties are not expecting to happen but helps spread a signing bonus a little? 

I don't think so, except in the sense that every year a player's salary is not guaranteed, is a 'voidable year'.

His signing bonus was only $4M so it's only $1M spread into 2020.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Is 20 essentially a voidable year that both parties are not expecting to happen but helps spread a signing bonus a little? 

I guess I consider every year a voidable year since there will be no cap hit for letting him go after the 2018 season.  The Bills would be on the hook for none of the signing bonus. I think I would rather have the $4.1 million for another need or to rollover unless there is an injury at LB.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my apology...did a search before starting thread and saw yours in archive but could not post to it...............

No no worries at all! I'm just happy I had this speculation before some of these so called reporters. It's a cool feeling! 

I don't think the Bills are going to take on Klein's (relatively) massive contract. Klein's deal averages out to 5 million per year, this team didn't want Preston Brown for a little less than that so I doubt they give up a draft pick to take on that contract. I think if Klein is released then the Bills would be very interested because he is a guy McD is probably familiar with and fits a need (outside of Milano and Edmunds who does the team have at LB?)

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think so, except in the sense that every year a player's salary is not guaranteed, is a 'voidable year'.

His signing bonus was only $4M so it's only $1M spread into 2020.

Right, but for a team that spends TO THE CAP... that pulled money out of the year signed. The saints often tag extra years on short contracts to do that. 

The term “voidable” put aside, it’s a stupid salary they have no intention of ever paying and gets the player back into free agency when they want to get there (or paid handsomely) while allowing the team to shift a few bucks down the line. 

Putting a 9m salary may as well be putting a 30m for a guy like Klein. He’s not playing that season in a saints uniform under this contract. Why have the year then? Create the flow you want in the cap. 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

No no worries at all! I'm just happy I had this speculation before some of these so called reporters. It's a cool feeling! 

...as soon as McBeane gets fired (shortly), throw your hat in the ring!!.........:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Could have signed him last off-season and didnt.  Doubt they give up draft picks for him now.

Exactly, that Panther/Bills connection didn’t get signed as a Free Agent last year. I would guess they would pass on a trade or a signing unless the Saints offered him a lot more last year

18 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Exactly, that Panther/Bills connection didn’t get signed as a Free Agent last year. I would guess they would pass on a trade or a signing unless the Saints offered him a lot more last year

The saints didn't let him leave town. 

Klein seems a tad overpaid, but he's a solid LB and I'd love to have him.