SI article predicts a 2-14 record

39 minutes ago, BuckeyeBill said:

Good coaching will win you 4 games.

A good defense will win you 4 more.

A good offense will win you 6 games.

Luck will win 2 two more.

The Bills will get at least 4 with their coaching alone.

I would be very surprised if this team is worse than 6-10.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they will do better.  That said, I just don't get any of these guys who figure this team for just 2-3 wins.  

How do they get to, "this is one of THE worst teams in football"?

He's a Carolina Panther fan.  A little bitter?

Jones, now 26, has realized that dream but in the journalism world of sports writing as he begins a new job as a national NFL writer with Sports Illustrated.

A part-time writer for The Gaston Gazette as an Ashbrook High and University of North Carolina student from 2005 to 2010, Jones had been one of the Carolina Panthers’ beat writers the past five years for The Charlotte Observer. He left the Charlotte paper this month for Sports Illustrated, the highest-selling sports magazine in the United States with a circulation of more than 3 million.

“It really was a no-brainer,” said Jones, a 2008 Ashbrook High graduate. “I love the Observer. Obviously, they gave me the opportunity out of college to cover a NFL team for a major newspaper. Not a lot of people would be afforded that opportunity and they believed in me. It’s been awesome, but this is another dream job.”

Jones leaves The Observer after writing “Super Cam: Cam Newton’s rise to Panthers greatness” with Observer colleagues Joe Person and Scott Fowler.

Knowing your source is a good thing to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

oldmandan, might I suggest you record his predictions (league wide), and bump this thread after the Super Bowl.  Then we can laugh at his inaccuracy, or marvel at his skill.

Good idea

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Every news station in America predicted Hillary would blow trump out of the water. It's just noise. 

3 moths out from the election. By November they said it would be close.

Its really hard to pay attention to any of the media anymore. National Media writing on the bills is always tough to read because they don't know anything about this team. Local guys are just negative about anything. I  tend to take everything these days with a grain of salt because most of them are morons

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Some guy on si.com named Jonathan Jones today predicts records for all 32 teams and has the Bills at 2-14.  

First, who is this guy?  Second, he talks about not being able to run because of the O line and like so many refuses to acknowledge Dawkins played more than Glenn last year and  that Groy filled in very well for Wood.  Third, he's assuming Allen starts when that is by no means clear.  Fourth,  he says nothing about the D other than saying last year they were "opportunistic".  Finally, how often has a team gone from playoffs to horrible?  You'd have to have major injuries like the Colts losing Manning. 

What a joke.

I think the answer to the bolded is most years. 2016 playoffs included Miami, Oakland, NY Giants, Houston. Win totals were 6, 6, 3, 4 in 2017

Edited by CBend
  • Like (+1) 2

Could easily happen. We have no QB, zero continuity on the o line, yeah 2-14 is not an outlandish prediction.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeBill said:

Good coaching will win you 4 games.

A good defense will win you 4 more.

A good offense will win you 6 games.

Luck will win 2 two more.

The Bills will get at least 4 with their coaching alone.

16 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I would be very surprised if this team is worse than 6-10.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they will do better.  That said, I just don't get any of these guys who figure this team for just 2-3 wins.  

How do they get to, "this is one of THE worst teams in football"?

I think it has something to do with the combined 4 NFL starts of the three guys vying to start at the most important position on our team.

Like it or not the Bills have the most inexperienced group of QBs in the NFL and that doesnt often translate to overwhelming success.   There are maybe seven teams in the entire league in a similar situation to the Bills in the respect of their top two guys having limited starts or success, Chicago (14 Starts), Cleveland (43 starts), KC (53 starts), NYJ (73 starts).  Otherwise you have a few media darling teams with continued success dependent on guys who may end up being flash in the pans Houston (Watson 6 starts) SF (Jimmy G. 7 Starts).  And one team who has a franchise QB who hasnt thrown a football in two years (Indi).

It may end up being a good season, but no one should be shocked by the thought it may be bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think it has something to do with the combined 4 NFL starts of the three guys vying to start at the most important position on our team.

Like it or not the Bills have the most inexperienced group of QBs in the NFL and that doesnt often translate to overwhelming success.   There are maybe seven teams in the entire league in a similar situation to the Bills in the respect of their top two guys having limited starts or success, Chicago (14 Starts), Cleveland (43 starts), KC (53 starts), NYJ (73 starts).  Otherwise you have a few media darling teams with continued success dependent on guys who may end up being flash in the pans Houston (Watson 6 starts) SF (Jimmy G. 7 Starts).  And one team who has a franchise QB who hasnt thrown a football in two years (Indi).

It may end up being a good season, but no one should be shocked by the thought it may be bad. 

Great points, North, but I still just have a hard team seeing this coaching staff and this defense be clues in trying to win more than 3 games.

BTW, as bad as the Bills were during the entire 17 year drought I believe they only had 1 3-13 season...and some of those teams were utterly dreadful, top to bottom.