Patriots' WR Julian Edelman Facing a Four-Game Suspension for PED Violation

the media will be all around trying to hype up the Patriots drama, and pouring gas onto whatever embers are really there...

I hope to enjoy the show, which hopefully ends with them going 9-7, missing the playoffs, and Brady being just so-so but demanding to come back for another year next year

On 6/8/2018 at 8:00 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

That's true. Technically they may not cheat, but they lack sportsmanship, which used to mean something.

Maybe? Or do we romanticize those old teams as tough hard nosed guys when they might’ve been a little dirtier than we like to admit?

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, they would recognize it a such, no?

So I found this link

" Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reported Edelman's positive test was "triggered by a substance that wasn’t immediately recognizable, and there are scientists analyzing it."

The game, for some time, has been to take compounds that are close enough to natural anabolic steroids to produce growth of muscle tissue, but differ enough chemically that routine tests for banned substances won't detect them.  Example: The Clear.  (similar game with natural ganja vs "spice")

The Clear became cloudy when a whistleblower handed over a used syringe with a bit of the compound remaining in it, and a smart MS chap went to work on it.  (Those guys are amazing - if a chemical can be made, naturally or synthetically, they can figure out what it is).

So educated guess at what "substance that wasn't immediately recognizable" means: "we found something in Edelman's bodily fluids that we recognize as a probable androgen receptor agonist, we're just not sure yet as to the exact chemical structure".

What “I am very sorry—I don’t know what happened......nothing like this has ever happened." likely means: "I didn't take anything Alex Guerrero and his staff didn't give me and they pinky-promised me the labs the NFL contracts with for testing would never, ever find it."

If we are looking at "The Clear, Part Deux" - life could be entertaining, let's just say that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I know this won’t be popular but I’ve always believed that the rules on these PEDs are far more complicated than people think....and with a few exceptions have little to do with whether performance is actually ‘enhanced’.

my two cents 

I've taken many many tests obviously over the course of my career and nothing like this has ever happened

Translation - I've taken many tests and never got caught

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Translation - I've taken many tests and never got caught

If he didn't do anything wrong...he shouldn't have apologized. Issue a Mea Culpa but also pretend he's an innocent victim.

He's trying to have it both ways. !@#$ the Patriots. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If they can't recognize it, how can they be sure it's banned?

Methinks something got lost in translation.

But, how can you ban something you cannot recognize? Could be a harmless herbal supplement from the Amazons (the forest) or a new designer PED.