California (again)

13 minutes ago, Paulus said:

It is not the taxes. It is the local bans.

Getting dope legalized here was a no brainer. I've lived up and down this coast, and no one ever worried about smoking it where ever they pleased. Legalizing it was just a formality. But there's a difference between making it legal in my town and making it available in my town. No one in Sacramento would ever be smart enough to predict that, but it didn't stop them from predicting how much it would bring in and spending that money before they had it.

Suddenly, all the people in Rancho PV, Malibu and Beverly Hills who are happy with legal dope don't want dispensaries in their neighborhoods.

And presto! Another CA tax coming up to make up for the taxes they're not getting from the dope. Maybe another nickel on the gas tax will do the trick. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Getting dope legalized here was a no brainer. I've lived up and down this coast, and no one ever worried about smoking it where ever they pleased. Legalizing it was just a formality. But there's a difference between making it legal in my town and making it available in my town. No one in Sacramento would ever be smart enough to predict that, but it didn't stop them from predicting how much it would bring in and spending that money before they had it.

Suddenly, all the people in Rancho PV, Malibu and Beverly Hills who are happy with legal dope don't want dispensaries in their neighborhoods.

And presto! Another CA tax coming up to make up for the taxes they're not getting from the dope. Maybe another nickel on the gas tax will do the trick. 

Don't forget Marin.  I think my options are either Fairfax (boonies) or SF.  Pretty sure Mill Valley outlawed it before the legalization vote was even on the ballot.

31 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I’ve done revenue projections in conjunction with local (city/county) govts. To say their projections are even realistic in any known mathematical universe would be an understatement. I had one councilman tell me that I was full of $&@! when explaining that demand is elastic even after he agreed with a hypothetical example I gave him.

Edited by Kevbeau

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, LABillzFan said:

Is this the most ridiculous state in the union or what?

Well, what else are we supposed to do?  We can't arrest and thereby risk offending the dignity of guys who piss and sh-- on the sidewalk.

8 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Is this the most ridiculous state in the union or what?

Old news. They were talking about this when I lived up there. My response was “do you really think that someone who sleeps on the streets covered in filth is going to care if they get some pee on their shoes?”  And have they not seen the amount of pee on the floor under a urinal from splashed back?  I dropped my towel at the gym while peeing and I burned the damn thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Old news. They were talking about this when I lived up there. My response was “do you really think that someone who sleeps on the streets covered in filth is going to care if they get some pee on their shoes?”  And have they not seen the amount of pee on the floor under a urinal from splashed back?  I dropped my towel at the gym while peeing and I burned the damn thing. 

Reminds me of when I had to go to downtown SF for work. In the morning the  shopkeepers had to hose off th urine from the sidewalk.  Ah . it's spring in San Francisco and the smell of urine is in the air.

12 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Or just turn 45 degrees when they let fly.

17 hours ago, Wacka said:

Reminds me of when I had to go to downtown SF for work. In the morning the  shopkeepers had to hose off th urine from the sidewalk.  Ah . it's spring in San Francisco and the smell of urine is in the air.

The new California gold rush

HERE’S WHY PEOPLE, JOBS ARE FLEEING BLUE STATES TO LIVE IN RED ONES:

Yes, it just makes common sense that people who can leave states with high taxes, onerous regulations and high unemployment.

But Antonio Chaves, writing in American Thinker, provides an absolutely devastating presentation of the data showing the sources and depths of distress for middle and lower-middle class people living in places like California and Maryland.

It’s a data-intensive read, but well worth it. And Chaves offers some interesting thoughts on how red-state leaders should respond to the droves of former blue-staters crossing into the jurisdictions.

UPDATE (from Glenn Reynolds:) My Welcome Wagon idea is more urgently needed than ever.