California (again)

2 hours ago, ALF said:

As water runs short in California, commission rejects $1.4 billion desalination plant 

Eleven members of the California Coastal Commission voted against the facility, which water treatment developer Poseidon Water has been trying to build for decades.

Poseidon said the plant would be capable of producing up to 50 million gallons of drinking water a day, helping to make the region more drought resilient. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/us/california-water-desalinization-vote-drought-climate/index.html

I have not put much thought into the concept but why would they say no if they are having this horrible drought? Are they basically saying they would rather deal with a limited water rather than have a desalination plant?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have not put much thought into the concept but why would they say no if they are having this horrible drought? Are they basically saying they would rather deal with a limited water rather than have a desalination plant?

One thing I heard was they were concerned about the amount of salt being dumped back in the ocean. 

So the commission said they’d rather see other ways of helping the problem.  Ok, we’ve had water issues here forever but they’ve done nothing. It blows my mind how they can’t figure out how to capture and store the millions and millions of gallons of runoff from our melting snow each year that just ends up in the ocean.  🤦🏻‍♂️

55 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

One thing I heard was they were concerned about the amount of salt being dumped back in the ocean. 

So the commission said they’d rather see other ways of helping the problem.  Ok, we’ve had water issues here forever but they’ve done nothing. It blows my mind how they can’t figure out how to capture and store the millions and millions of gallons of runoff from our melting snow each year that just ends up in the ocean.  🤦🏻‍♂️

It makes you wonder if they can’t figure it out, or don’t want the problem solved.  

When one controls water supply….

47 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It makes you wonder if they can’t figure it out, or don’t want the problem solved.  

When one controls water supply….

Until recently I've chalked it all up to incompetence or stupidity but recently have concluded it malicious intent and simply that the goals and objectives of politicians and government everywhere, and in most cases, do not align with the needs and desires of the citizens they represent.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:17 AM, All_Pro_Bills said:

Until recently I've chalked it all up to incompetence or stupidity but recently have concluded it malicious intent and simply that the goals and objectives of politicians and government everywhere, and in most cases, do not align with the needs and desires of the citizens they represent.  

New on this planet?  

On 5/14/2022 at 7:25 AM, Chef Jim said:

Considering the price of Sea Salt, wouldn't it be a source of revenue?

Edit: typically Sea Salt is anywhere from 3X to 20X more expensive than regular table salt.

Edited by unbillievable

• 3 weeks later...

Los Angeles DA Gascon's office lands 5-month probation camp sentence for teen who mowed down mom and infant

Why are Gascon’s policies prioritizing the livelihood of rotten monsters when my child, my baby, who is incapable of protecting himself, is left to fend for himself, and is essentially being told his life doesn’t matter?"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-da-gascon-sentence-teen-mom-infant-video

The video is unreal , that pickup truck driver is a real hero who should be rewarded , the DA should be in jail.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Los Angeles DA Gascon's office lands 5-month probation camp sentence for teen who mowed down mom and infant

Why are Gascon’s policies prioritizing the livelihood of rotten monsters when my child, my baby, who is incapable of protecting himself, is left to fend for himself, and is essentially being told his life doesn’t matter?"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-da-gascon-sentence-teen-mom-infant-video

The video is unreal , that pickup truck driver is a real hero who should be rewarded , the DA should be in jail.

That dude has to go.  We knew he was trouble when he was SF DA when we lived there.  I will my best to never spend a penny in that city/county.  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

That dude has to go.  We knew he was trouble when he was SF DA when we lived there.  I will my best to never spend a penny in that city/county.  

You have to sprinkle in a little anarchy if you want to fundamentally transform a country.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

California Warns: Here Come the Blackouts, Don’t Charge Your Car. 

“I really couldn’t say for sure if Sacramento is trying to drive millions of poor people out of the state, or if the Democrats in charge just get their jollies out of making miserable their own most reliable voters.”

https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2022/08/31/california-warns-here-come-the-blackouts-dont-charge-your-car-n1625210

• Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Good. no taking Great lakes water like Bill Mahr has been yammering about 

California regulators this week approved a $140 million desalination plant that could convert up to 5 million gallons of seawater each day into drinking water, as the state grapples with a persistent megadrought and plummeting water supplies.

The state’s Coastal Commission on Thursday voted 11-0 to approve the Doheny Ocean Desalination Project in Orange County in Southern California. The plant could be functioning within the next five years and supply water for thousands of people in the South Coast Water District.

The approval comes as record temperatures and drought conditions have forced states like California to address a future with dwindling water supplies.

The megadrought gripping the Western U.S. has generated the driest two decades in the region in at least 1,200 years, and scientists say that human-caused climate change has fueled the conditions. Water levels at the two largest reservoirs in the country, Lake Mead and Lake Powell, have hit their lowest levels ever recorded.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/14/california-approves-desalination-plant-as-drought-hits-water-supplies.html

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Good. no taking Great lakes water like Bill Mahr has been yammering about 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/14/california-approves-desalination-plant-as-drought-hits-water-supplies.html

Given our track record we’ll be lucking to get a tea cup of drinking water out of that plant in the next thirty years. 😉

• Agree 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-just-made-it-harder-to-use-rap-lyrics-as-criminal-evidence-will-more-states-follow-215301918.html

This will be fun- rapper gives details in lyrics of the murder he committed, when he is brought up on charges he simply claims they used the lyrics against him illegally and walks.