California (again)

On 1/14/2020 at 3:31 PM, Chef Jim said:

Seriously?  People with major alcohol and drug addictions or mental illnesses will typically not get help no matter how well staffed the services are.  I see it now.  Three homeless guys sitting in a park.  One a heroin addict, one an alcoholic, one a schizophrenic.  "Hey Joe let's go down to social services get some help"  "***** that Jerry.  Have you seen the lines?"  "What are you guys talking about?  We're cool.  It's those idiots with the stress of a job and mortgage that are crazy!"

Yes that is part of the problem but it is a LOT bigger than that.  Throw in the breakdown of the family unit.  Where are their families?  Sure many of their families have given up but some woefully too soon. 

I used to be of the mindset  these are people who just quit on life, but what you're saying is absolutely correct. There is no 'one size fits all' solution. And this is why nothing gets done.

Many of these people are unable to care for themselves beyond the lot they've created for themselves. Whether they're addicts or just batschitt crazy, they've figured out two basic skills; how to find food and how to create shelter. But that's not everyone.

It my mind, this is a city/county/state problem, first and foremost. They need to develop a task force of sorts to begin digging deeper into their own homeless communities. The tent cities operate a bit like a regular community, and if you spend enough time with the people, you can drill down to establishing the primary causes of their homeless IN THAT COMMUNITY. Once you do that, THEN you can come up with a more cohesive plan for that community. Plus, by starting smaller, you can be more nimble and quick in your responses. Then use your successes and failures and apply them as you move on to the next community.

It will take a long time, but literally NOTHING is being done now, so cities should use the Frank Reich Down-By-32 Approach. One play at a time. Each city picks one homeless community and start there.

But spending billions to erect buildings in hopes you can push them all in there is ridiculous. Just look at Haiti after the earthquake. Lots of empty buildings with no water or electricity. And people still in tents after all these years.

This situation is the poster child for government mismanagement.  This problem is easy to study and then fix.  But first, the idiots in Sacramento have to figure out what caused this  spike in homelessness.  It's gotten exponentially worse in the last five to ten years.  That fact alone makes it much easier to solve and fix.  But....no!  The California Liberal whack-jobs put all of their legislative energy into Climate Change, Open Borders, and Bullet Trains!

...NYS is a close 2nd to California but closing fast....Big Fredo makes his SEVENTH trip to PR to hold hands after the earthquake.......first six were for the hurricane damage because Trump/FEMA screwed them....and the 92 BILLION went where?...........

Cuomo accompanies National Guardsmen to Puerto Rico after quakes

January 14, 2020 | 10:33pm

ALBANY — Gov. Andrew Cuomo flew to Puerto Rico Tuesday with 115 members of the National Guard, blankets, pillows and emergency kits, hoping to help the island hit hard by earthquakes over in recent weeks.

“Puerto Rico is still hurting from the destruction caused by Hurricane Maria and the federal government’s protracted recovery over two years ago,” he said.

“Now the island is once again being dealt a devastating blow with a series of earthquakes and tremors that have caused widespread damage and power outages, leaving thousands of families in shelters.”

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I used to be of the mindset  these are people who just quit on life, but what you're saying is absolutely correct. There is no 'one size fits all' solution. And this is why nothing gets done.

Many of these people are unable to care for themselves beyond the lot they've created for themselves. Whether they're addicts or just batschitt crazy, they've figured out two basic skills; how to find food and how to create shelter. But that's not everyone.

It my mind, this is a city/county/state problem, first and foremost. They need to develop a task force of sorts to begin digging deeper into their own homeless communities. The tent cities operate a bit like a regular community, and if you spend enough time with the people, you can drill down to establishing the primary causes of their homeless IN THAT COMMUNITY. Once you do that, THEN you can come up with a more cohesive plan for that community. Plus, by starting smaller, you can be more nimble and quick in your responses. Then use your successes and failures and apply them as you move on to the next community.

It will take a long time, but literally NOTHING is being done now, so cities should use the Frank Reich Down-By-32 Approach. One play at a time. Each city picks one homeless community and start there.

But spending billions to erect buildings in hopes you can push them all in there is ridiculous. Just look at Haiti after the earthquake. Lots of empty buildings with no water or electricity. And people still in tents after all these years.

Now why the ***** did you have to bring the Buffalo Bills into an extremely rational post. Geez. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Now why the ***** did you have to bring the Buffalo Bills into an extremely rational post. Geez. 

Too bad you quit them. They're odds-on favorite about to become very good for a long time, and with Brady starting to play like Hillary Clinton navigating stairs, and the Jets keeping Gase and the Fish being Fish, Bills should run the table on the AFC East pretty soon.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Too bad you quit them. They're odds-on favorite about to become very good for a long time, and with Brady starting to play like Hillary Clinton navigating stairs, and the Jets keeping Gase and the Fish being Fish, Bills should run the table on the AFC East pretty soon.

I’ve not given up on the Bills. I’ve given up on sports. What ruined football for me was instant reply, the constant stoppage in play for penalties and the non-stop droning of the commentators. It’s boring. 

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I’ve not given up on the Bills. I’ve given up on sports. What ruined football for me was instant reply, the constant stoppage in play for penalties and the non-stop droning of the commentators. It’s boring. 

Get off my lawn!!!    

56 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i urge you Californians to pass this around.

Waste of time.

All the signatures and all the votes will never remove a Dem from a CA seat unless the Dems want it to happen.

They control the ballot box and can do whatever they want, regardless of the will of the people.

But hey...look at that view!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Waste of time.

All the signatures and all the votes will never remove a Dem from a CA seat unless the Dems want it to happen.

They control the ballot box and can do whatever they want, regardless of the will of the people.

But hey...look at that view!

it needs to at the very least be tried. peaceful means need to be explored.

29 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it needs to at the very least be tried. peaceful means need to be explored.

Peaceful means is to vote him out of office next time. A recall is a waste of time and money in any state, save for something particularly egregious. In CA, where ballot harvesting is legal, it is and forever will be a waste of time for everyone except the persons collecting donations to launch the recall.

19 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I lived in CA until August 2014.  Probably  still have me on the voter rolls and  have me voting several times. I should sign this petition.

I'm pretty sure both of us have voted  Pelosi and Schiff into office multiple times.

Swaliwell (sp) was a town councilman when I lived in Dublin, CA. I moved to Tracy (central valley)  the year he got elected to the council. I know I never would have voted for him. Probably have me voting for him in every election.

Did vote for the Governator.   They had a clown car show running (45 people!) and actually was the vest one. His last campaign  stop  for being elected was the next town over (Plesanton- where John Madden lines). Got into an argument with Medea Benjamin and the rest of the Code Pink commies when they tried to disruot the rally.

Edited by Wacka

On 1/14/2020 at 6:00 PM, Chef Jim said:

Ok it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.  There are several levels of homlessness and a vast majority of them suffer from some sort of mental illness.  I consider drug and alcohol a mental illness and even those that prefer to live on the street have a mental illness problem.  You have to be mentally ill to sit on the street in all sorts of weather instead of getting a job.  So to say "hey just be personally responsible" to someone who does not have the mental wherewithal to do that is going to accomplish absolutely nothing.   Throwing money at "affordable" housing is not the solution.  Many of them will just trash it or say ***** that and continue on the street because that is their home.  Again a vast majority of them can't comprehend living anyplace else.  Do we scoop them all up and put them in mental institutions?  I don't know if I like that slippery slope.  We all sit here and go "the homeless issue is a problem"!  No ***** but the solution is very very difficult.  Living in CA it's something I've given a lot of thought to and it's a near impossible situation to solve.  Well there's ship them all off to Treasure Island in the SF Bay surround them with walls and gun turrets.  But that's just me.  And that's my solution on a good day. On a bad day?  Euthanize.  They serve no purpose.  ?

But seriously what is our Conservative battle cry?  Take care of yourself?  These people are not mentally capable.  

Oh I get her emails all the time.  It's like having a Kindergarten teacher as a mayor.  Ok children let's all learn to tie our shoes and sing songs.  Worst.....mayor......ever!!! 

I read the “comprehensive reform measures”.  Starts with capping increases on rent at 5%, strengthening protection against eviction, throws massive amounts of money at the problem, loosens burdensome and nonsensical regulations they put in place, and eliminates the need for referendums in localities that require such things, and mentions something about taking advantage of the prime real estate under freeways. 

So...tax the balls off people, f ‘em over when the tenant can’t/won’t  pay the rent, regulate the $#@& out of building projects, add layers of additional government workers to the payroll, suspend the burdensome regulations that squeeze the $#@& out of people, and warehouse the homeless under the freeway.  

I agree with you, Jim, it’s a complicated problem and it sure looks like they’ve done a great job of $#@&ing up the solution. 

13 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I read the “comprehensive reform measures”.  Starts with capping increases on rent at 5%, strengthening protection against eviction, throws massive amounts of money at the problem, loosens burdensome and nonsensical regulations they put in place, and eliminates the need for referendums in localities that require such things, and mentions something about taking advantage of the prime real estate under freeways. 

So...tax the balls off people, f ‘em over when the tenant can’t/won’t  pay the rent, regulate the $#@& out of building projects, add layers of additional government workers to the payroll, suspend the burdensome regulations that squeeze the $#@& out of people, and warehouse the homeless under the freeway.  

I agree with you, Jim, it’s a complicated problem and it sure looks like they’ve done a great job of $#@&ing up the solution. 

They have as most politicians are very good at. Do we start scooping them up and forcing them into treatment centers?  Forcing meds in them?  Forcing rehab?  Even that is a temporary fix. There is no cure for what these people suffer from. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

They have as most politicians are very good at. Do we start scooping them up and forcing them into treatment centers?  Forcing meds in them?  Forcing rehab?  Even that is a temporary fix. There is no cure for what these people suffer from. 

It seems far too often the tail wags the dog.  I think a sensible response is to help those who cannot help themselves. In some case ls that surely will result in forced compliance. While unfortunate, the other side of the coin--homeless people of all sorts wandering the streets, streets becoming the repository of drug paraphernalia, excrement, and of course the predators that flow to any crisis of this magnitude--- presents a risk to everyone involved, and that risk exceeds a reasonable standard.

Part of the problem is the heavy-handedness of government in implementing programs. We have a group home for the developmentally disabled in our neighborhood.  Been there 20 years, and the concern amongst many of the neighbors prior to occupancy was the potential impact on property values.  I wasn't really all that concerned, I was raised by a mother who preached compassion and mainstreaming people as, well people.  The problem is, proper values have been impacted.  The property is at times unkempt, they enlarged the driveway beyond a reasonable size and apparently gave no aesthetic consideration to it, the garbage cans are overflowing more often than not and there really is no rhyme of reason to any of it. 

It's a difficult challenge and I think you're  correct it is extremely difficult to solve.  Status quo is a very bad option. 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

I drove by as they moved the homeless and cleaned up the mess they made in the article above. The homeless moved across the street under an awning that gave them shelter. This after they were moved from another encampment as well as under the bridges and city parks. I don't know the solution but wherever they go it does cause issues. And re the article above it is just rinse and repeat as they go from one side of the street to the other. We (taxpaying citizens/business/shoppers) pay for this. I for one avoid these areas and subsequently the adjacent businesses.