California (again)

AND THIS TIME IT WILL WORK: California Passes Rent-Control Law Amid Homelessness Crisis.

California will cap rent increases under a new law Gov. Gavin Newsom said he would sign Tuesday, the most significant piece of housing-related legislation in a year that also saw the shelving of a measure to relax zoning and spur more construction.

Mr. Newsom, a Democrat, said he would sign the bill into law at a ceremony in Oakland, Calif. The governor has said the rent caps and tenant protections are necessary to help people being squeezed out of their homes. The law limits annual rent increases at 5%, plus the rate of inflation, and adds some barriers for landlords seeking to evict people.

“They will provide California with important new tools to combat our state’s broader housing and affordability crisis,” Mr. Newsom said when the rent measure passed the legislature Sept. 11.

The Housing Gnomes’ three-step plan works like this:

1. Make construction more costly, and also cap prices.

2. ???

3. Housing for everyone!

• Thank you (+1) 2

NEARLY 800,000 PG&E CUSTOMERS BRACE FOR LARGEST POWER SHUT-OFF EVER.

Nearly 800,000 Pacific Gas and Electric customers are preparing for their power to be intentionally cut for what could be the largest deliberate power shut-off in California’s history.

A Red Flag Warning is being issued over the next few days with strong winds expected to make the risk of wildfire extremely high.

The outages are expected to start as early as Wednesday at midnight and could last until mid-day on Thursday. They may affect millions of people living in 34 counties.

I’m so old, I can remember when California was an aspirational place, and not a warning to the rest of America.

IF I RECALL, THERE’S A SCENE EXACTLY LIKE THIS IN ISAAC ASIMOV’S FOUNDATION:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-7.40.26-AM.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/5/2019 at 9:31 PM, Chef Jim said:

They did that two weeks ago when I was up in Napa. Such BS

Starts again tonight. 800,000 for up to five days.

Edit: (Or just read Quickdraw McGraw's post above.)

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NEARLY 800,000 PG&E CUSTOMERS BRACE FOR LARGEST POWER SHUT-OFF EVER.

Nearly 800,000 Pacific Gas and Electric customers are preparing for their power to be intentionally cut for what could be the largest deliberate power shut-off in California’s history.

A Red Flag Warning is being issued over the next few days with strong winds expected to make the risk of wildfire extremely high.

The outages are expected to start as early as Wednesday at midnight and could last until mid-day on Thursday. They may affect millions of people living in 34 counties.

I’m so old, I can remember when California was an aspirational place, and not a warning to the rest of America.

IF I RECALL, THERE’S A SCENE EXACTLY LIKE THIS IN ISAAC ASIMOV’S FOUNDATION:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-7.40.26-AM.png

What did everyone think was going to happen when they sued PG&E for $30B and drove them in to bankruptcy?  Create that much liability for a company to do business, and they won't do business.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

What did everyone think was going to happen when they sued PG&E for $30B and drove them in to bankruptcy?  Create that much liability for a company to do business, and they won't do business.

It’s amazing to hear otherwise intelligent people ask why PG&E can’t simply prune the trees......on 100 million acres.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

It’s amazing to hear otherwise intelligent people ask why PG&E can’t simply prune the trees......on 100 million acres.

"Because they're more concerned with lining their pockets than safety."

Lining thier pockets...in bankruptcy, with $30B in liability and criminal charges threatened?  When did people get this stupid?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Fleets of these!

Stay safe KD! I've already heard talk of some looting occurring in Castro Valley and the power there hasn't even been off for 12 hours yet, so the hooligans are starting to take advantage of things already. I'm sitting in an office building right now where we are all wondering if the lights will be going out at noon.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And wait for it.  PG&E will get sued for $60b because they shut off power to 800,000 people.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

Fleets of these!

Stay safe KD! I've already heard talk of some looting occurring in Castro Valley and the power there hasn't even been off for 12 hours yet, so the hooligans are starting to take advantage of things already. I'm sitting in an office building right now where we are all wondering if the lights will be going out at noon.

Hahaha....the Marin soccer moms are definitely on edge....     

Kids were hoping for a day off from school but no luck in our 'hood.  And I just heard one of my team members explain to another why it was fairly unlikely we'd have a red-flag power shut off here on Market Street.   :wallbash:

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Hahaha....the Marin soccer moms are definitely on edge....     

Kids were hoping for a day off from school but no luck in our 'hood.  And I just heard one of my team members explain to another why it was fairly unlikely we'd have a red-flag power shut off here on Market Street.   :wallbash:

Get the ***** out of there.  Move here to OC!!  

...tackling the BIG issues....AGAIN...SMH.............

California bans hotels from using tiny plastic bottles

Hotels in California will have to stop giving guests small plastic shampoo bottles under a new law.

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday he had signed a law banning hotels from giving guests plastic bottles filled with shampoo, conditioner or soap.

The law takes effect in 2023 for hotels with more than 50 rooms and 2024 for hotels with less than 50 rooms.

Violators could be fined $500 for a first offense and $2,000 for subsequent violations.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/california-bans-hotels-from-using-tiny-plastic-bottles