California (again)

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? You do realize your entire house is built to legislated mandates. It’s called the Building Code.

yep, well aware as it is within my field of business.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, Foxx said:

maybe it's just me but i have a severe aversion to legislated mandates.

Yep.

Plus, it's CA. Dig into the bill and let's find out how many state legislators have their hands in some solar panel company or manufacturer.

Must be put on every new house? Sounds like a good time to have a piece of that action, and mark my words, the money trail will bring you back to Sacramento.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, SoCal Deek said:

What? You do realize your entire house is built to legislated mandates. It’s called the Building Code.

Youre comparing safety with governmental whimsy. I have nothing wrong with solor and I applaud you for utilizing it. That doesn’t mean the hovernment gets to dictate others use it. You made a free choice to invest some money to save some money- let others make the same choice.

p.s. - I didn’t mean to say hoverment, but I kinda like it as a subtle dig, so I’m leaving it.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Solar panels can cost up to $10,000 upfront, but are expected to save at least $19,000 in reduced electricity bills over 30 years, the state energy commission executive director Drew Bohan said.

So the break even point is about 15 years?  Glad my retirement home was built this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hedge said:

2 problems with this. 

First, I'm not a fan of the "make your name private" part.  A petition like this needs verifiable signatures

Second, even if Newsome, the DNC would rally behind him and there is no way a Republican could oust him.

I kinda think this is might a trojan horse effort to strengthen Newsome by surviving a recall vote

15 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

First, I'm not a fan of the "make your name private" part.  A petition like this needs verifiable signatures

That was just referring to if you wanted your name displayed in the scroll of those who signed.

16 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Second, even if Newsome, the DNC would rally behind him and there is no way a Republican could oust him.

Probably not, but I would like to see the numbers now.

LA’s top water and power executive steps down in wake of FBI raids, mayor says

</snip>

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power’s top executive stepped down Tuesday, one day after FBI agents raided the utility’s downtown headquarters.

Mayor Eric Garcetti had announced weeks ago that David Wright, the DWP’s general manager, would be leaving the utility Oct. 1. In the wake of the searches at the DWP and other city offices, however, Wright is leaving immediately, Garcetti said.

</snip>

FBI agents served search warrants Monday at multiple government offices, including at City Attorney Mike Feuer’s office, as part of an investigation into how the city responded to the disastrous rollout of a new DWP customer billing system in 2013.

Feuer spokesman Rob Wilcox said the warrants served at the city attorney’s office were connected to the city’s settlement of a class-action lawsuit filed over inaccurate DWP bills, as well as a separate lawsuit filed by the DWP and city against a consulting firm.

Wright was appointed general manager of the DWP in 2016 and focused on trying to fix the billing system and improving customer service.

At Wright’s recommendation, the DWP in 2017 approved a no-bid $30 million contract for Aventador, a company owned by Paul Paradis, who also was an attorney retained by Feuer in a lawsuit filed against the consulting firm that implemented the utility’s new billing software.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 7/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, DC Tom said:
On 7/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Not mine.  :lol: ?

What's wrong with a Federal Pacific panel and knob & tube wiring?

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

What's wrong with a Federal Pacific panel and knob & tube wiring?

:lol:

Take that, splice it into 15-amp NM, splice that into BX, hook that up to a 20 amp breaker in a box that somehow - don't ask me how, but an electrician has confirmed - has TWO mains - a 60 and a 40 - coming in from the meter.  And a 20 amp breaker for a subpanel in an outbuilding workshop wired for 75 amp.  

Last time I tried to replace a ceiling light, it took me and a master electrician FOUR HOURS just to figure out how the duplex switches were wired (with a combination of BX and NM, of course).

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2019 at 3:41 PM, Hedge said:

Probably not, but I would like to see the numbers now.

There is no way, in the foreseeable future, that any Republican will ever do anything other than sit on a city council for, say, Palos Verdes Estates.

The left have every inch of CA locked down. Tied down. Gagged. Duct taped. Crazy glued. In their full control. The only red that state will ever see again will be in their budget.