California (again)

On 6/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, Chef Jim said:

Reagan has to take a good portion of the blame for this.  

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

I wasn’t aware that Gov Reagan encouraged people to drop out and turn on and ruin their lives when this all started

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Carter too. He started it. 

This is but one account, but as I remember it, the ACLU was a (the?) major player in releasing patients onto the streets based on their constitutional freedoms being violated via forced institutionalization. As I remember it, the Reagan administration wasn't really an active participant, but a convenient scapegoat.

If I'm wrong, I'd be willing to read any information to the contrary.

http://www.wordaroundthe.net/2012/09/common-knowledge-reagan-and-homeless.html

Edited by Azalin
  • Like (+1) 1

I live in California. The problem is noticeably much greater in just the last four or five years. That fact alone ‘should’ make it a much easier problem to research and solve. Unfortunately the people responsible for studying these societal issues aren’t the slightest bit interested in finding the cause of this effect. They want to throw OTHER PEOPLES money at it so they can sleep at night thinking they at least did something.

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I live in California. The problem is noticeably much greater in just the last four or five years. That fact alone ‘should’ make it a much easier problem to research and solve. Unfortunately the people responsible for studying these societal issues aren’t the slightest bit interested in finding the cause of this effect. They want to throw OTHER PEOPLES money at it so they can sleep at night thinking they at least did something.

Spending other people's money is how you solve problems. If that doesn't work, create hashtags. Repeat as necessary.

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You would have figured that spread of typhus and fire in Bel Air set by the homeless encampment would spur some action, but no.

9 hours ago, Azalin said:

This is but one account, but as I remember it, the ACLU was a (the?) major player in releasing patients onto the streets based on their constitutional freedoms being violated via forced institutionalization. As I remember it, the Reagan administration wasn't really an active participant, but a convenient scapegoat.

If I'm wrong, I'd be willing to read any information to the contrary.

http://www.wordaroundthe.net/2012/09/common-knowledge-reagan-and-homeless.html

I've always heard that the Reagan administration was directly responsible because of Stockman's budget cuts.

Jesus...I tried to google it, and the first three pages I got were anti-Trump stories from liberal news sites like Mother Jones.  :wacko:

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I've always heard that the Reagan administration was directly responsible because of Stockman's budget cuts.

Jesus...I tried to google it, and the first three pages I got were anti-Trump stories from liberal news sites like Mother Jones.  :wacko:

Don't forget Geraldo.  His expose of Willowbrook set the wheels of public opinion in motion.  So of course, the pendulum swung the complete opposite way.  Reforming mental institutions wasn't an option.  They had to be totally destroyed.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-new-homeless-count-numbers-20190604-story.html?outputType=amp

The timely article just came out two days ago. So according to the LA Times the solution is to make housing more affordable in California. The bend the law of supply and demand to house people who can’t afford to live here. No. You educate these people. Give them tough love and tell them. “Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can’t afford to live here unless you have a decent job that pays a good wage. We are sorry that a living wage here is very high. We are sorry that dishwashers, cooks, maids, gas station attendants are not jobs you can hold without someone else working in the household who makes a decent income or where the two (or three) of you together make enough to afford a home or place to live. Having said that there are 49 other states (maybe the one you came from) where you can afford to live. Sorry to give your a reality check but you can’t live here in our streets so move along.”

Politicians are deathly afraid to give that tough message they all say:

171DA1EF-EF5F-41F9-A381-C7431991CF76.jpeg

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Human rights advances made it impossible to force someone into treatment against their will.

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

This isn't unique to California but it IS California so I'll plop it here.  This is a sad story. 

You see a problem, but Libby see's job opportunities created by the problem.

It’s so bad that Home Depot is paying for two Oakland Police Department squad cars, manned by off-duty officers at $100 an hour each, to be on-site — one patrols the parking lot, while the other parks at the store’s entrance in an attempt to curb theft from the store.

No way those police officers earn an extra $100/hour if Libby didn't create such a terrific hiring environment.

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-new-homeless-count-numbers-20190604-story.html?outputType=amp

The timely article just came out two days ago. So according to the LA Times the solution is to make housing more affordable in California.

Interestingly, CA already already forces upscale communities to provide affordable housing to low income folks because it's just not fair that people with money get to live in the nice communities. 

That said, you have to wonder who's in charge of editorial writing for the LA Times when you read something like this:

How can it be that Angelenos voted in November 2016 to create a $1.2-billion fund to finance as many as 10,000 units of housing for chronically homeless people in the city of L.A., yet not one unit of housing has come online?

Gee, LA Times. How can it be?

• Like (+1) 1

California (especially southern California) is not much more than an irrigated desert. The availability of water limits home construction. Generally municipal restrictions on home building make it more costly to build. The climate is without a doubt amenable. Weak-willed government coupled with liberal ideas that value feelings over results have merged to ruin what should be paradise, if not overpopulated. Add up the scarcity of water, government red tape, good weather and politicians without a backbone and it makes for a perfect landing spot for a homeless person. Thousand upon thousands of people see things that way and have created disease ridden camps equivalent to middle eastern refugee encampments. This situation will not be changed with hashtag slogans and wishful thinking. It'll be changed when the voters are sick of the filth and disease and vote for strong, practical leadership. They need more Rudys not Judys.

KURT SCHLICHTER: California Is The Future The Liberal Elite Wants For You.

California has morphed from paradise into a garbage state run by garbage people for their own garbage benefit and amusement. The “garbage” part is literal – once the Sierra Nevada mountains symbolized the state; now, towering heaps of trash and human waste do. Welcome to what the Democrats want for all of America. Just watch your step. Literally.

If it were not for the climate, something the liberals in charge of my state have nothing to do with as much as they think they do, it would likely be a nearly empty desert once again. But the sun shines, the beach beckons and the palm trees sway over a population of morons who keep electing proggy fascists to run the place. Which they are doing, right into the ground.

Kevin Williamson succinctly wrote that Detroit’s fall to ruin is a case of the parasite having outgrown the host.” 

But unlike the corpse of the once-vibrant Motor City, as Victor Davis Hanson has asked, “How, then, does California continue?

Read on, but in a nutshell, natural and inherited wealth are so great on the coast that a destructive state government must work overtime to ruin what others wrought.”

But give them time.

The point I was trying to make is that this is relatively new phenomenon. If we are at full employment and if thousands of immigrants are pouring into California (and working and living here), then what’s the reason for all of these ‘privileged’ white people to roaming the streets like the walking dead all day long??? They’re everywhere. Not just in downtown LA or SF. To answer my own question, it has to be a sudden, new drug epidemic. All of these folks weren’t released from institutions in the last couple of years. And they all didn’t suddenly lose their jobs! The economy is booming. We can fix this if we attack the root cause. Building homes for homeless people is not the answer! That’s ‘fixing’ the symptom, not curing the disease.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The point I was trying to make is that this is relatively new phenomenon. If we are at full employment and if thousands of immigrants are pouring into California (and working and living here), then what’s the reason for all of these ‘privileged’ white people to roaming the streets like the walking dead all day long??? They’re everywhere. Not just in downtown LA or SF. To answer my own question, it has to be a sudden, new drug epidemic. All of these folks weren’t released from institutions in the last couple of years. And they all didn’t suddenly lose their jobs! The economy is booming. We can fix this if we attack the root cause. Building homes for homeless people is not the answer! That’s ‘fixing’ the symptom, not curing the disease.

Not trying to sound like a big meanie but a good old fashioned rousting might be in order. If you don't make it easy on them than the people can be sorted out between the legitimately mentally ill and what used to be called a bum, hobo, tramp.