California (again)

On 5/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, Chef Jim said:

Great letter.  I'm not sure why she's not leaving with her children.  

I can't speak to the author of the letter, but n the past month of my explaining to people why I was leaving CA, virtually everyone said the same thing: DAMN, I wish I could do that.

One of two things keep them in CA: family or work. In many cases of work, it was a CA-specific certification; lawyer, doctor, dentist, educator, etc. They just can't take their background and move to another state without getting certified. Otherwise it was family; I can't leave my kids, my grandkids, etc.

And that's fine. More land for those of us who CAN leave.

38 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I can't speak to the author of the letter, but n the past month of my explaining to people why I was leaving CA, virtually everyone said the same thing: DAMN, I wish I could do that.

One of two things keep them in CA: family or work. In many cases of work, it was a CA-specific certification; lawyer, doctor, dentist, educator, etc. They just can't take their background and move to another state without getting certified. Otherwise it was family; I can't leave my kids, my grandkids, etc.

Haven't you left yet? The best of luck in Idaho.

48 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Wow...that name is going to take some time to get used to after all these years!

3d thing:  Tech market

10 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

If it’s that important to leave they can figure it out. No job/certification is that important. And she’s staying even though her family is being broken up which is just the opposite of why you say people are not leaving.  So it’s a great spot in letter I’m just very curious as to why she’s staying. 

Still planning on retiring here.  Yes it’s getting shittier here but I’ve planned properly. Sure I’d have more spending money elsewhere but I really don’t feel like starting over somewhere I know little about. I have clients who are building a home in AZ (he’s a GC) but are keeping their million dollar plus home in OC just in case.  

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Wow...that name is going to take some time to get used to after all these years!

3d thing:  Tech market

His new nicknames will The Wizard or The King

E13C3121-C426-4B78-A1D7-D9D41D8BE70F.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Haven't you left yet? The best of luck in Idaho.

Signed closing docs this morning. About to get keys to the new home. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

If it’s that important to leave they can figure it out.

All I can suggest is that it wasn't THAT important to her.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

All I can suggest is that it wasn't THAT important to her.

Important enough to write a very good letter but not important enough to do anything about it I guess. 

Signed the docs?  I thought you were going to rent first. ?

On 5/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, B-Man said:

That's interesting, but I hope that family doesn't start voting liberal in their new state. These blue-state transplants don't seem to understand that they were part of the reason their home state turned into a *****-hole.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

That's interesting, but I hope that family doesn't start voting liberal in their new state. These blue-state transplants don't seem to understand that they were part of the reason their home state turned into a *****-hole.

Most that are leaving are not liberal.  That's why they're leaving.  Be wary of those limousine liberals that cash out the boatload of equity the have and moving someplace else cheaper having no clue as to why the new place is cheaper or why California is so expensive.  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Most that are leaving are not liberal.  That's why they're leaving.  Be wary of those limousine liberals that cash out the boatload of equity the have and moving someplace else cheaper having no clue as to why the new place is cheaper or why California is so expensive.  

In 2 years both my kids will be away from home for school. Depending on where they go, I’m probably going to move to California. Shoot me your address and I can move close to you! 

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

t5_2qho4.png?s=4e0cc78cbad9a8da68b5502a2

pzakwsgihqh21.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, Chef Jim said:

Signed the docs?  I thought you were going to rent first. ?

We happened upon a beautiful house on 5 acres that was falling in/out of escrow for the past six months because the woman selling it is a handful, mostly because it belonged to her son, who died a couple of years ago. It was a slow process, not about price, but about who we were as a family, and was our family going to best represent the family her son had before he died.  We played patient and kind, having my son send her letters to let her know how much he loved the house, and eventually we were able to help her let go.

We closed Friday, and when we came into the house, the woman left a huge basket for us of treats for everyone, including our pets, bird feeders, and then we found out she fixed all the little things on the inspection report that we took as is (lightbulbs, screens, etc.).

High on hill, overlooking the city, with deer, quail, and wild turkeys already surrounding us.

Freaking paradise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1