California (again)

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

That 2.5B is already in the pockets of the Dems donors, who in turn have those Dems in their pockets. 

Thats how how it works in big gubment. 

We're going to find out that virtually all the money is gone already, not just the $2.5B. All of it. And soon we'll learn we need another gas tax for the sake of 'infrastructure' wherein 'infrastructure' means 'putting on/off ramps on a 100-mile strip of high speed rails that go to two cities no one wants to visit.'

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hedge said:

... “disproportionately targets LGBT ... people..."

right... they are special, shouldn't have conform to laws written for the rest of people. 

gimme a fuggin' break...

Edited by Foxx

California lawmakers propose soda tax, banning cola at checkout areas

Assemblyman David Chiu (D-San Francisco) also likened the soda industry to the “tobacco industry,” accusing it of using “tactics to victimize low-income communities, communities of color throughout our country,” USA Today reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/california-lawmakers-propose-soda-tax-banning-cola-at-checkout-areas

1 minute ago, Azalin said:

Assemblyman David Chiu (D-San Francisco) also likened the soda industry to the “tobacco industry,” accusing it of using “tactics to victimize low-income communities, communities of color throughout our country,” USA Today reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/california-lawmakers-propose-soda-tax-banning-cola-at-checkout-areas

Don't worry you people of color who don't know any better, we liberals are here to protect , guide rule you

Have I mentioned lately that liberals are scum ?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Seems dumb.  This country has a diet issue for sure.  But taxing sodas isn’t going to deter that many people, it’s just going to cost families more money.  And curbing impulse buying is dumb...the problem isn’t the person who buys a soda on impulse, it’s the families that guzzle a liter a day and give their children a ton of soda.

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

Seems dumb.  This country has a diet issue for sure.  But taxing sodas isn’t going to deter that many people, it’s just going to cost families more money.  And curbing impulse buying is dumb...the problem isn’t the person who buys a soda on impulse, it’s the families that guzzle a liter a day and give their children a ton of soda.

This isn't a health issue, it's a tax issue. They have no intention of trying to reduce the amount of sodas consumed if they're planning to tax it. In addition, any claims that the money raised will go toward offsetting health care costs is a classic example of government BS.

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Azalin said:

This isn't a health issue, it's a tax issue. They have no intention of trying to reduce the amount of sodas consumed if they're planning to tax it. In addition, any claims that the money raised will go toward offsetting health care costs is a classic example of government BS.

With such a sharp demand curve for products like this, the increased price is not going to deter consumption to any degree. All it does (as mentioned) is to substantially increase the price in order to generate revenue. It is counter-intuitive to want to tax it away (as was also mentioned) because the government is not going to want to cut their revenue stream. Otherwise, they will just have to impose another tax, because there is no way they can cut spending.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

I could see a tax on it if they'd return the coke to Coca Cola.

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

Anything for a buck.

Anything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Azalin said:

It's California.  It'll go to fund soda delivery via high-speed rail.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Azalin said:

So the wife and I are looking to retire in the next 4-5 years.  We've been looking at Palm Springs because we love the heat and have friends there.  But I'm seriously considering other states because of ***** like this.  The CA legislature is so left they can push any agenda through they want pretty much unopposed.  

And on a completely unrelated note.  Does the position of editor not exist anymore?  I'm a terrible proofreader (and anyone who has read just one of my posts knows this) but online news stories are just loaded with stuff like this. 

Representatives of the beverage industry say the taxes would businesses and consumers, particularly those in lower-income communities.

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Don't worry you people of color who don't know any better, we liberals are here to protect , guide rule you

Have I mentioned lately that liberals are scum ?

Yup.  They have no idea.  They think they are doing good work helping people of color but in fact they are offending (or should be offending) the ***** out of them. 

3 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

No no no.  You're missing the point. They are not taxing people. The are raising revenue to educate those poor people of color who don't know better. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And on a completely unrelated note.  Does the position of editor not exist anymore?  I'm a terrible proofreader (and anyone who has read just one of my posts knows this) but online news stories are just loaded with stuff like this. 

I've long suspected newspapers decided that the internet means they can crowd-source their editorial work.  Put it online, read the complaints about the grammar, fix it for the print edition.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

So the wife and I are looking to retire in the next 4-5 years.  We've been looking at Palm Springs because we love the heat and have friends there.  But I'm seriously considering other states because of ***** like this.  The CA legislature is so left they can push any agenda through they want pretty much unopposed.  tter. 

I would suggest Arizona, since you like the heat, but the left has been annexing AZ by moving in and getting elected to local offices. By the time you settle down for retirement, it will -- legislatively, speaking -- not look much different than CA.

7 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I would suggest Arizona, since you like the heat, but the left has been annexing AZ by moving in and getting elected to local offices. By the time you settle down for retirement, it will -- legislatively, speaking -- not look much different than CA.

Coastal Texas.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABillzFan said:

Yep, which is why I'm going to Northern Idaho. Snowflakes don't like snowflakes.

Montana is nice as well.

I'm stuck though because my wife refuses to move anywhere colder than where we already are, and ideally wants to go someplace warm and on the water.  Which leaves me with costal Texas.

12 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Montana is nice as well.

I'm stuck though because my wife refuses to move anywhere colder than where we already are, and ideally wants to go someplace warm and on the water.  Which leaves me with costal Texas.

My wife has family in Port Aransas, and she was inclined to go there, but she deals with migraines and is convinced humidity is bad for her so I dodged that bullet.