How do you tell an outsider the Bills are getting better?

I am definitely more of a football fan then hockey, and I was talking to a friend of mine about the Sabres and because I root for them but don't know a ton about them, I asked him why was signing Eichel such a great move if they were the worst team in hockey last season.  He got somewhat defensive and started telling me all the moves the Sabres were making to be a great franchise in the future.  He made me more optimistic, especially with this defensemen they are supposed to draft whose name I won't try to spell.

So it got me thinking about the Bills, who outsiders will say lucked into the playoffs last year and most aren't high on this year.  What do you tell an outsider about the Bills to make them "Billieve" we are heading in the right direction? I'm sure we all get defensive about our Bills, how do you get others to "trust the process" as well???  

I look forward to reading what you guys say

It’s a pretty simple conversation IMO. They potentially drafted their franchise QB, have a talented young defense, good coaching, 9 drafts picks and almost $100m in cap space in 2019. The direction of the team is crystal clear assuming that Allen can play.

• Like (+1) 2

I tell people it's a work in progress and we might be a better team this year but have a worse record than last year.   LIke any team developing a young QB it's going to take a few years.  But the defense will be better, we added Star/Phillips/Murphy/Edmunds/Davis and we cut dead salary/weight.    

It’s easy for me, I’m in Patriots territory and they see the respect that B.B. has for McD and what he is doing in Buffalo. OFC you still have casual fans/soccer moms breaking balls when they see the Bills gear but I’m getting more and more “oh yous guys finally doing something” 

Some of that probably comes from ending the drought but it has been a fun 6 months talking football. Each time McD traded away a big name it was the same conversation, oh you guys tanking? No, he is getting rid of all the guys that aren’t team first guys just like B.B. would. They understand that.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree they are building for long term success and rid themselves of bloated contracts and poor attitudes.  If I had to watch one more year of Fat Dareus. Come in to camp out of shape and pull muscles, I was going. To scream.  He was a mistake in retrospect.  I know easy to say after the fact.

we just won’t know how good this off season went until we get deep into this season.

• Like (+1) 1

tell them or convince them?  Two very different things.  If you were not a Bills fan would you be convinced they are going in the right direction? 

My feeling is that they for the first time in a very long time have a coach and GM with real vision and a real plan.    That plan depends a lot on how well Josh Allen (or possibly McCarron) performs in the NFL.  They could easily be mediocre for the foreseeable future if they don't get good QB play.

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a pretty simple conversation IMO. They potentially drafted their franchise QB, have a talented young defense, good coaching, 9 drafts picks and almost $100m in cap space in 2019. The direction of the team is crystal clear assuming that Allen can play.

And they finally undertook the long overdue organizational housecleaning that was so desperately needed, and have a FO full of young talent that is now, after one year, in the conversation for GM positions when they arise. 

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I am definitely more of a football fan then hockey, and I was talking to a friend of mine about the Sabres and because I root for them but don't know a ton about them, I asked him why was signing Eichel such a great move if they were the worst team in hockey last season.  He got somewhat defensive and started telling me all the moves the Sabres were making to be a great franchise in the future.  He made me more optimistic, especially with this defensemen they are supposed to draft whose name I won't try to spell.

So it got me thinking about the Bills, who outsiders will say lucked into the playoffs last year and most aren't high on this year.  What do you tell an outsider about the Bills to make them "Billieve" we are heading in the right direction? I'm sure we all get defensive about our Bills, how do you get others to "trust the process" as well???  

I look forward to reading what you guys say

I don't tell them anything, actually.  I figure one of two things will happen:

1) the Bills will actually improve and their play will do the talking

2) the Bills won't actually improve, and I won't have a bunch of passionate arguments to live down

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

you don't.

however your Eichel comment was down right strange.

I get that a lot from people with Eichel.  I guess I just don't see why all the love for him with how McDavid and Matthews have played.  We were awful last year, with all the hype behind him and the big contract, I would have thought he would have made everyone else around him so much better and we'd be a playoff team by now.  Again, not big on hockey hence the outside perspective.