Ravens Lose Final Two OTA Sessions Due to Offseason Rules Infractions

LOL at the players getting paid a lot...they don't get paid near enough for the risks they take and how shot their careers are. I'd like to see football players get paid the same as baseball and basketball players. Maybe more. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I'm fairly certain they were fined for this a few seasons back. Same reasons too, running padded practices when it was just supposed to be OTA stuff.

Dude could tear an ACL wearing all those pads in June....

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dude could tear an ACL wearing all those pads in June....

It's kind of a double-edged sword, right? Dudes go down with ACL injuries on non-contact plays or without pads all the time, yet they limit padded practices which opens up the margin for injuries caused by tackling, either because guys didn't get enough practice time in pads or the time they did get in pads didn't completely prepare them for real game action. 

The next CBA renewal is gonna be a disaster.

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It's kind of a double-edged sword, right? Dudes go down with ACL injuries on non-contact plays or without pads all the time, yet they limit padded practices which opens up the margin for injuries caused by tackling, either because guys didn't get enough practice time in pads or the time they did get in pads didn't completely prepare them for real game action. 

The next CBA renewal is gonna be a disaster.

The player's poor off season conditioning is their own fault.  This is one reason the contracts are not guaranteed.

4 hours ago, JaxBills said:

There are many jobs in the world that ask more of football players and pay far less. 

There high pay is reflected by having a players Union that represents them with well paid lawyers.

The CBA reflects the priorities of both the owners and playes.

There is no side to pick. They already negotiated this.

The high pay is due to the revenue and profits of the league. The players that provide the product sold have a union, but it’s the weakest union of the 3 major sports and the CBA reflects that.  You are correct that there really is no side to pick as the rules have been agreed upon.  In this case a team broke one and a fine has been levied. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The player's poor off season conditioning is their own fault.  This is one reason the contracts are not guaranteed.

Most guys keep up with the exercise and eating plan they get from the team trainers, but yes, I'll concede that some players get injured because of their lack of preparation. But, generally, since they changed the number of padded practices that can happen during OTAs, minicamps and training camps, coaches have lamented that  because they feel the amount of padded practices isn't adequate to prepare their players for live action. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

LOL at the players getting paid a lot...they don't get paid near enough for the risks they take and how shot their careers are. I'd like to see football players get paid the same as baseball and basketball players. Maybe more. 

Economics don't work.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

0-16, guaranteed 

The vast majority of people couldn’t survive a day in the nfl.  You completely underestimate how difficult it is to become a pro football player.

Still could be said of other jobs.  Your point is a true statement.  It doesn't make mine wrong.

Im i to understand that being an NFL player is the most challenging job in the world?

I've done a job that had a 3/100 attrition rate.  I've done jobs that percentage of survivability were given to me before starting.   

You act like most pro athletes go on and change the world.

Edited by JaxBills

On 6/6/2018 at 4:08 PM, YoloinOhio said:

They apparently held practice in pads during a punt drill

OH, the humanity! 

I know, rules are rules and they are there for a reason. I just prefer when a certain team for the Boston area gets caught (again, and again...). 

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

It might be cheaper to build a new stadium.  ?

On 6/6/2018 at 4:08 PM, co_springs_billsfan said:

This certainly doesn't fit the Pat's* fans' worldview of "The NFL only punishes the Pats*, and when they do punish the Pats* the only reason was jealousy."

Another loser obsessed with a team other than his own. 

On 6/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, Domdab99 said:

I’d like to see them get paid like hockey players.  

Theyre playing a game and keeping their bodies in great shape.  Does that warrant $5-30 million a year?

Maybe you should look up how much important people make, just a suggestion.  What about the mayor of your town, president of the U.S., the bus driver that drives our kids to and from school?

In your opinion, why do they deserve to make even more than they already do?

Im sure it’s obvious, but I’m also not a fan of how much baseball and basketball players make. A bunch of loud mouthed jocks are not anywhere near important enough to society to justify their ridiculous paychecks.

• Like (+1) 1

Imho, many of the rules in the cba, actually don't help the players play the game, to the best of their abilities, by silly restrictions on stuff like walkthroughs and classroom learning, you know, things that don't involve any real physical effort. Makes no sense to me, at all.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, JaxBills said:

There are many jobs in the world that ask more of football players and pay far less. 

There high pay is reflected by having a players Union that represents them with well paid lawyers.

The CBA reflects the priorities of both the owners and playes.

There is no side to pick. They already negotiated this.

Saying the high salaries are reflective of the palyers Union fails terribly in recognizing extremely rich owners wanting to have the best toys. Owner themselves were the main reason salaries got to where they are now. This and a NFL that cares about revenue above all else..

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Saying the high salaries are reflective of the palyers Union fails terribly in recognizing extremely rich owners wanting to have the best toys. Owner themselves were the main reason salaries got to where they are now. This and a NFL that cares about revenue above all else..

The nflpa picks it's own fights and lawyers.  Let's not make them out to be victims.    And yes, they as a union get to pick there collective priorities.  By definition that's how it works.  Off season time off was high on the list.  They got it.  So yes.  Fine the coach.  

On 6/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, BarleyNY said:

The high pay is due to the revenue and profits of the league. The players that provide the product sold have a union, but it’s the weakest union of the 3 major sports and the CBA reflects that.  You are correct that there really is no side to pick as the rules have been agreed upon.  In this case a team broke one and a fine has been levied. 

I agree with everything you said, and contend that the value they have as " entertainers" is how they had the finacies to afford the lawyers to fight for that padless practice.....lol

On 6/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, Domdab99 said:

I I don't care what they get paid compared to anybody else. Every profession is its own Financial monster. They have an NFL PA that helps them structure what is and is not legal in their contract.  Even the low end players are going to make more than 3 years than many of us will a lifetime.  The problem isn't with the money that players make, it's the fact that some players live their lives like that money will be coming in like that for ever.

You don't buy a 6 figure car with a five year note when you're on a three year contract, ya know 

Players also play late in their thirties and early forties in basketball and baseball. You don't end up hanging players out on guaranteed contracts who don't fulfill at least a good portion of them. In the NFL player's life expectancy is considerably shorter. That's nobody's fault, but the games. And the players know that when they make the decision to go to the NFL.

Edited by JaxBills

On 6/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s really hard for me to pick a side on this...

on one hand, nfl front offices would work these guys 24/365 if they could.  

On the other hand, players they are getting absurd amounts of money to entertain and play a game.

There are thousands, perhaps millions of people who would happily be an nfl tackling dummy every day for much less... 

Lol. I would not be one of your thousands/millions