Howard Simon Tries To Do 1 Pull Up For Charity

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s sad if a grown man can’t do at least a few.  Watching Howard try to do a pull-up was like watching watching Peter McNeeley fight Mike Tyson. You knew what was going to happen but you still had to see it.

Dude, if you 50+ and packing a few extra..a proper pullup is hard as fudge. 

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think that was my somewhat my point..lots o people say they do a puulup..but not all the way! and correct You do all good ones on Thursday or Friday, I will make the donation! No video required, just your word!

BTW, ain't no GD way I can even do one!

I would never accept any sort of payout without posting video proof.  Especially not from Omar Little.  If you were trying to catch a fat guy making something up out of the clear blue sky, you have failed.  If your goal was for me to realize that my 14th and 15th pull ups may not have been as clean as I thought, upon video review, you have succeeded haha.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I would never accept any sort of payout without posting video proof.  Especially not from Omar Little.  If you were trying to catch a fat guy making something up out of the clear blue sky, you have failed.  If your goal was for me to realize that my 14th and 15th pull ups may not have been as clean as I thought, upon video review, you have succeeded haha.

just need your word on a clean 15!!!! Me catching a fat guy would be the pot calling the kettle!!!

15 hours ago, aristocrat said:

he just doesn't work out and his muscles are gone. I regularly do 3 sets of 12-15 but that's just my routine. i haven't tried to work on it enough to do more.  when i was in high school i could do over 30.  i had one of those chuck norris total gyms and i worked on that all the time. 

I go by the belief, "Use it or loose it". @18 I could get into a new workout and kill it and feel fine in the morning. Now @nearly 48 I can't. Just started suspended leg lifs off a chin up bar and 2 dayes later I got a cramp in my crotch that nearly crippled me BUT 2 weeks later I am able to start to do a second rep of 10.

I actually do 'em every day. There's a pullup bar around 150 yards from my desk at work and I do a few when I come to work, when I leave and when I'm feeling beat. And I'm a bit older than Howard.

Twelve years ago I made it a goal to do 10,000 during the year. Made it with a few days to spare, but it wasn't easy and part of the reason was because at that time I had to walk around three-quarters of a mile in Tokyo to find the closest bar in a nearby park. Should've bought a home bar, but I figured the wife might not have been thrilled, though she was absolutely great in supporting me that year. I had a mental map of every outdoor pullup bar or reasonable facsimile in western Tokyo.

Can't do 'em now like I did then but one is an absolute piece of cake. Howard needs to get off his butt.

Edited by Thurman#1

25 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I do have freakishly long arms for my height so I'm definitely using that as an excuse :D

well, i have something freakishly long for my height too..and it ain't my arm!

Maybe that's why pullups are hard for me..to much extra weight and gravity there!

chin ups/pull ups (and i've never got the distinction, cuz you can do all kinds of grips) are tough, and require some semblance of strength/weight, but they are also really sensitive to being in practice of doing them.  if i focus on chin ups, i can do many more per set, and many more over all than if i don't do them regularly.  also, if i've done some other work ahead of them, 10 for an easy set looks more like 6 or 7 for a hard set.

all that said, a grown able bodied man not being able to do a single chin up in any form should be ashamed of himself and not be comfortable just letting his body be a worthless sack of mush.  mandatory physical training and bringing back the draft would fix half of america's problems.

15 minutes ago, colin said:

chin ups/pull ups (and i've never got the distinction, cuz you can do all kinds of grips) are tough, and require some semblance of strength/weight, but they are also really sensitive to being in practice of doing them.  if i focus on chin ups, i can do many more per set, and many more over all than if i don't do them regularly.  also, if i've done some other work ahead of them, 10 for an easy set looks more like 6 or 7 for a hard set.

all that said, a grown able bodied man not being able to do a single chin up in any form should be ashamed of himself and not be comfortable just letting his body be a worthless sack of mush.  mandatory physical training and bringing back the draft would fix half of america's problems.

chin ups and pull ups vastly different in terms of difficulty and muscles used. Chin ups more biceps and easier,  pull ups more lats and more difficult. 

Now, lets get to work on mandatory military service!!!

Pull ups are a tough exercise and I agree that 50% of men over 18 cannot do 1.  I am a lean 185 and do 15.  But it took a lot of work to get back to that number.  Some days tendonitis in my forearm acts up, and I cannot do 4.  I rest it for a week or two, and I am back in double digits.  Pull ups require forearm strength, core strength, shoulder strength, lat activation and are a great measure of strength IMO.  What you bench usually does not impress me.  But 100 good form pushups or 20 pullups(or 10 weighted) impresses the hell out of me

Edited by Pete

From the looks of some of these replies, it seems like members of TSW of this forum are some of the most in-shape members of any message board ever.  I’d say there’s some embellishments with the number of chin-ups some are boasting here.  It certainly would be  interesting to Periscope it out.  People like me are honest.... I’d probably get about 3/4 to 1/2 way up.  Chin ups are tough

I was 6'6" 312 playing nose tackle for a bs league working out 6 days could bench like 425 squat about the same and deadlift weight. But pull ups, I could give a strong 7 or 8. I have zero shame lol