The supplemental draft, is there anyone in there for us?

12 hours ago, aristocrat said:

why is beal leaving now? he could have just declared for the draft

He couldn't get the necessary credits from school before being labeled ineligible. He is a player I'd pursue and give up a 2nd round pick for, he could very well have been a 1st rounder in next years draft.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So essentially the supplemental draft is for underclassmen that aren't keeping up with their studies or who are not welcome back at their college for rule breaches....

Sounds like the high character, lunch pail guys that McBeane craves..

Yeah it would have sucked to get Josh Gordon.

The Bills should use a 4th on Beal (although I doubt that gets it done). The Bills have 2 4ths next year. Maybe they can steal the long-term starter opposite Tre?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills should use a 4th on Beal (although I doubt that gets it done). The Bills have 2 4ths next year. Maybe they can steal the long-term starter opposite Tre?

In all fairness, Gordon's troubles have been well documented and he's appeared in just 49 of 80 games.  Aside from a monster season in 2013, he hasn't been very impactful.

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I get that Gordon is an athletic freak but if we drafted a guy in the 2nd round who averaged 6 games, 29 catches and 2 touchdowns a year for us he would be run out of town.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

In all fairness, Gordon's troubles have been well documented and he's appeared in just 49 of 80 games.  Aside from a monster season in 2013, he hasn't been very impactful.

He certainly hasn’t played a lot but has been great when he has. He averages 17.3 yards per reception for his career!! That’s insane. By all accounts he’s good to go now. He appears to be in decent shape:

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bryant was selected last year to NFL.com's list of college football's fastest players and most freakish athletes. He's been timed as fast as a 4.24 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and can deadlift 600 pounds. At 5-foot-11, 200 pounds,

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935996/article/brandon-bryant-sam-beal-to-apply-for-nfl-supplemental-draft

Also  Adonis Alexander   Listed at 6-foot 3-inches and over 200-pounds, Alexander has the size that teams covet from their cornerbacks but he is still a raw talent at the position after playing it in rotation with Greg Stroman and Brandon Facyson over the past two seasons," Watkins said.

Watkins noted that drug suspensions and academic ineligibility prevented Alexander from reaching his potential with the Hokies. NFL teams willing to take a chance could be rewarded down the road.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Adonis-Alexander-expected-to-be-taken-in-2018-NFL-Supplemental-Draft-118795336

Looks like Bryant has a good chance to go high.

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I get that Gordon is an athletic freak but if we drafted a guy in the 2nd round who averaged 6 games, 29 catches and 2 touchdowns a year for us he would be run out of town.

He’s a total exception because of his addiction. His production has been elite. It would be like a super rich man’s Karlos Williams. That’s why the Browns have put up with it. Gordon may be the most gifted player in the league. He averaged 117 yards a game with Hoyer, Campbell and Weeden!!

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s a total exception because of his addiction. His production has been elite. It would be like a super rich man’s Karlos Williams. That’s why the Browns have put up with it. Gordon may be the most gifted player in the league. He averaged 117 yards a game with Hoyer, Campbell and Weeden!!

Not arguing that, over a 16 game season I think its fair to put him in the conversation with guys like Mike Evans and A.J. Green.   But he has played 16 games once in five years that being 2012.

When you talk about player value I think it's neglectful not to mention availability.  Gordon has all the potential in the world but much like Sammy Watkins (for different reasons) it continues to be unrealized potential.   If I am using a 2nd round pick I want a guy who reaches his potential by the time he is 26 years old.     The Browns have won nothing because of him, got 3 seasons out of him in five years, and will most likely need to pony up a great deal of money for him if they want to keep him past this year.   To me, it wasnt worth their commitment.    

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Right or wrong, your first consideration of whether a player is suitable to come to  the Bills is their talent.

In the decisions McDermott and Beane have made over the past 12 months, their first consideration is character.

I just can’t comprehend them giving up a 4th rounder on some guy that can’t even keep up with the minimum academic requirements to continue their study with all the extra help and tutoring that would be made available..guy must either be lazy or as dumb as a post..

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Gordon had one of - if not the - greatest years ever for a WR before life took its toll on him.  If he can regain anything close to his old form he's a top-five player.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Right or wrong, your first consideration of whether a player is suitable to come to  the Bills is their talent.

In the decisions McDermott and Beane have made over the past 12 months, their first consideration is character.

I just can’t comprehend them giving up a 4th rounder on some guy that can’t even keep up with the minimum academic requirements to continue their study with all the extra help and tutoring that would be made available..guy must either be lazy or as dumb as a post..

So they won’t give up a 4th but someone else will likely use a 1st or 2nd? At some point the talent outweighs the risk. 

I think character has has been a consideration but intelligence seems to be at the top of their requirements. You are going to have a few guys with character concerns in every NFL locker room. The Bills employed Incognito. Zay Jones clearly has some issues. Adolphus Washington has been in trouble a few times. Deonte Thompson has been arrested for weed. That’s why I’d have Beal as a 4th. That is where the value is too good to pass up (at a position of need). 

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So they won’t give up a 4th but someone else will likely use a 1st or 2nd? At some point the talent outweighs the risk. 

I think character has has been a consideration but intelligence seems to be at the top of their requirements. You are going to have a few guys with character concerns in every NFL locker room. The Bills employed Incognito. Zay Jones clearly has some issues. Adolphus Washington has been in trouble a few times. Deonte Thompson has been arrested for weed. That’s why I’d have Beal as a 4th. That is where the value is too good to pass up (at a position of need). 

You would have him for a 4th, and another team might go higher but I’m doubting the Bills would offer anything for him...

Yes, they are big on intelligence, so why would they want Beal who can’t keep his grades at minimum standard?

Edited by Aussie Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, MJS said:

Can someone remind me why the supplemental draft exists?

Football players = dumb = flunkies = they FLUNK OUT of school

Football players = trouble = arrests = they get THROWN OUT of school

THAT is what is there in the Supplemental Draft, those that didn't quite graduate with honors...