Ryan Talbot: Did the Bills Upgrade or Downgrade this Offseason?

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We know what kind of defense McD likes to run and we know the players we have.  The performance of the D this year is somewhat predictable.   

The O is another story.  It'll be interesting to see if Daboll (an upgrade?) can compensate for the downgrading on the offensive side of the roster.

Daboll hasn't been an NFL OC in a long time.  He's a bit of a wildcard.  He may turn out to be way better than Rico - someone who will make lemonade with the lemons given.   Then again, maybe not.  And, at this point, we don't even know who'll line up under center.   All we can do is embrace the uncertainty - fun times ahead!

Trademark this!

The plot line going forward is now this: 

How long is it going to take to get Allen ready to start at QB, and how good is he going to be once he starts?  Or at a minimum, how likely does it appear that he is going to become good as the starting QB of this team?

Everything else is a distracting subplot at best.

I used to really like what Talbot and his group were doing but they've been a disappointment lately.  

I know a lot of you get upset with me and say things like "what's the off season for if you can't speculate" but I can't stand when these guys actually think they are already correct about predicting the future.  Say things like I think or it appears or you would think but these idiots say downgrade - as if they have the ability to know what hasn't happened.  

Flunkies, IMO

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

i disagree withe your disagreement , the known quantity was lacking in what we wanted from a QB . We have a 1st round QB , a QB who has played in the league 4 years and a QB going into his second year  all of which portends success over last year.,

What, exactly,  have the current trio proven. A rookie, a guy who has rarely played, and a guy who crashed and burned in one ugly start. I’m not a blind Tyrod supporter, but he’s shown more than anyone on the current roster. 

I’m actually somewhat high on or QB outlook, but I try to be realistic. 

Every team feels good about the offseason right now, offense is an enigma but defense I'd bet my left nut will be good with McDermott's and Frazier's backgrounds, I think we can bank on that. Offense is missing Wood, Glenn and Incognito and Allen just like most rookie QBs will have growing pains.

7 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'll give you the Mc, but the Beane hasn't really proven anything yet. None of his player pick ups have amounted to anything. Hopefully this draft class shines though. 

If you think this last class was not also Beane's your not paying attn.

Tre...the first round pick....Dawkins...Milano.....all Beane AND mCd

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If you think this last class was not also Beane's your not paying attn.

Tre...the first round pick....Dawkins...Milano.....all Beane AND mCd

He wasn't even a part of the organization. On top of the Poyer and Hyde aren't his either. McD maybe, but those are all pretty typical Whaley moves. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

He wasn't even a part of the organization. On top of the Poyer and Hyde aren't his either. McD maybe, but those are all pretty typical Whaley moves. 

Like I said if you want to think that these were Whaley moves go ahead

If you dont think McD and Beane were not talking by that time....go head

On 6/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, fansince88 said:

I started out disagreeing with the QB position. Still dont see TT as a loss. 

This sounds like a "the grass is greener on the other side" type comment. TT may not have been the answer, but he wasn't absolutely terrible. He did some great things, with his legs and his arm. The problem was he didn't do those things with his arm consistently (except against Miami). 

I'm not upset at all that the Bills moved on. In fact, the writing was on the wall last off-season when he agreed to a restructured contract. But when you consider the youth and inexperience in the QB room right now, along with several other fat it's in offense, I thinks it's more likely that you'll be spouting out more "MFers" at the tv this year than you might think. 

3 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

This sounds like a "the grass is greener on the other side" type comment. TT may not have been the answer, but he wasn't absolutely terrible. He did some great things, with his legs and his arm. The problem was he didn't do those things with his arm consistently (except against Miami). 

I'm not upset at all that the Bills moved on. In fact, the writing was on the wall last off-season when he agreed to a restructured contract. But when you consider the youth and inexperience in the QB room right now, along with several other fat it's in offense, I thinks it's more likely that you'll be spouting out more "MFers" at the tv this year than you might think. 

To answer your last statement, I dont use that kind of language so dont put money on it. That said, although I have never turned a game off since 88 if I had the opportunity to watch, I came close when I saw TT string together less then 100 yards in the air at times. I doubt we face that again.To answer your first statement last, there wasnt even grass growing when TT was qb at times 

Aside from a Petermanesque turnover fest game in/game out, I truly struggle to see how this offense will be worse than the Dennison/Tyrod led dumpster fire we saw last year.   It took a minor miracle to score 17 points and/or throw for more than 200 yards.   

OL is most worrisome with losing Incognito and Wood, but they were getting up there in age and we have some young guys the staff seems confident in so I’m good there.  

RB upgraded by bringing in Ivory to back up Shady.

TE is the same and WR similar as well. I think Kerley is a solid player and think he offsets the loss of Thompson.  Obviously this group relies on Zay in his second year and KB in a contract year.   

Edited by SCBills