All NFL Contracts Should Be Performance Based ...

Muhammad Wilkerson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Marcel Dareus, Mario Williams, the list goes on there are a ton of players that have gotten huge contracts & then seem to be content with just showing up & going through the motions then there are those that luck into the big contract like Fitz & then go back to being their old self & can't deliver, get cut & go on to collect 2 pay checks simultaneously, or remember Albert Haynesworth that dude just fell off the NFL planet & still got paid !!

Haven't these owners learned ? Why isn't there any clauses in these huge contracts that specify that the player has to reach certain goals or incentives before hitting a certain pay & if they don't then they don't get the big money that way the team is more so insured that they will get something in return rather than the scenario that happens in a lot of these big contract signings that don't pan out ! 

The player works their butt off to be the best they can be then they get the big contract (now with huge guarantees) & then they get complacent or the team (like the Fitz deal) jumps way to fast & think they have their guy of the future give them the big pay day & then the player just isn't the guy they thought he was going to be & get hung for all that cash then wind up paying out the contract when the dude is playing for another team ? 

In the world as we know it if you don't do your job up to the expectations put in place then you get let go & you don't still collect a pay check ! If you work for a company & do a great job for that company you get raises and are expected to continue to do that job at the high level that you have set for that position which is the reason you  earned the pay raise & if you don't continue that level of performance like in most jobs or in the military you get knocked down in rank or reprimanded with a loss of compensation in some way ! 

I get it in cases like Eric Woods situation, you play for a long time for a team sign a contract & while doing that job "Because of the job" you find out you have a medical condition that causes you to not be able to do that job then the team or company should have to pay out the contract .

Especially in a sports based contract if that player has set a high standard for their play & get paid as such they should have to live up to or at least be that above average contributor to continue to make that huge pay or have incentives built into their contracts to continue to have them over achieve to make the big money in that contract so they don't just show up like some have done & collect a paycheck !!

Or heck not even be there at all & collect 2 pay checks SIGN ME UP FOR THAT ONE !! ?

I'm sure this has been talked about in the past so sorry if i bore you with this but i read a article this morning that prompted these thoughts !! GO BILLS !! 

• Like (+1) 2

Teams are always looking for an edge to land the “big fish.” Even if most of the teams decided to only sign free agents to performance based contracts there would always be those outlier teams that didn’t and attracted the biggest free agents. 

What a joke.  These guys are just pieces of meat to you, huh?  The most profitable league has the shortest careers.  These guy’s career can ended on one play and the owners just throw them away with no further money.  

These guys deserve every every cent they can get.  Also, people need to stop comparing their jobs with athletes.  Most of us are completely replaceable.  Sports is already a system that eliminates people who aren’t good enough.  It’s comlletely different than “normal” people’s jobs.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What a joke.  These guys are just pieces of meat to you, huh?  The most profitable league has the shortest careers.  These guy’s career can ended on one play and the owners just throw them away with no further money.  

These guys deserve every every cent they can get.  Also, people need to stop comparing their jobs with athletes.  Most of us are completely replaceable.  Sports is already a system that eliminates people who aren’t good enough.  It’s comlletely different than “normal” people’s jobs.

but it's grown men playing a kids game...I would play for free.....(sarcasm)

• Haha (+1) 2

Players are paid on past performance and assumed potential.

When the assumption fails to come to fruition is when the contract looks bad.

The old word play on assume will always loom large in $ports.

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah...just like workers who were knowing exposed to asbestos and miners with black lung and all the other work related stuff that happens to the typical American worker.  Or how about guys and gals in the military who givsle their lives for peanuts?

Im not saying the nfl doesnt come with risks but so do lots of American workers and they dont make millions.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No i don't think they are just pieces of meat i know they are guys trying to earn a good living & work hard for it & in those contracts there should be conditions such as injury that while on the job just like any other job that they should be compensated for if that should happen, all's i was saying is for those that get the big contract & then just give up on what got them there .

As long as a artist stays relevant weather it be music, poetry, painting & work to stay at the top they make their big pay if they write one good song & stop they don't continue to make that big pay they have to continue to work to stay on top & some of these players don't after they sign the big one that's all i am saying . 

45 minutes ago, T master said:

Muhammad Wilkerson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Marcel Dareus, Mario Williams, the list goes on there are a ton of players that have gotten huge contracts & then seem to be content with just showing up & going through the motions then there are those that luck into the big contract like Fitz & then go back to being their old self & can't deliver, get cut & go on to collect 2 pay checks simultaneously, or remember Albert Haynesworth that dude just fell off the NFL planet & still got paid !!

Haven't these owners learned ? Why isn't there any clauses in these huge contracts that specify that the player has to reach certain goals or incentives before hitting a certain pay & if they don't then they don't get the big money that way the team is more so insured that they will get something in return rather than the scenario that happens in a lot of these big contract signings that don't pan out ! 

The player works their butt off to be the best they can be then they get the big contract (now with huge guarantees) & then they get complacent or the team (like the Fitz deal) jumps way to fast & think they have their guy of the future give them the big pay day & then the player just isn't the guy they thought he was going to be & get hung for all that cash then wind up paying out the contract when the dude is playing for another team ? 

In the world as we know it if you don't do your job up to the expectations put in place then you get let go & you don't still collect a pay check ! If you work for a company & do a great job for that company you get raises and are expected to continue to do that job at the high level that you have set for that position which is the reason you  earned the pay raise & if you don't continue that level of performance like in most jobs or in the military you get knocked down in rank or reprimanded with a loss of compensation in some way ! 

I get it in cases like Eric Woods situation, you play for a long time for a team sign a contract & while doing that job "Because of the job" you find out you have a medical condition that causes you to not be able to do that job then the team or company should have to pay out the contract .

Especially in a sports based contract if that player has set a high standard for their play & get paid as such they should have to live up to or at least be that above average contributor to continue to make that huge pay or have incentives built into their contracts to continue to have them over achieve to make the big money in that contract so they don't just show up like some have done & collect a paycheck !!

Or heck not even be there at all & collect 2 pay checks SIGN ME UP FOR THAT ONE !! ?

I'm sure this has been talked about in the past so sorry if i bore you with this but i read a article this morning that prompted these thoughts !! GO BILLS !! 

Too many injuries for this to ever work.  

1) contracts (second ones) regularly have performance incentives.

2) all pro sports leagues do as the NFL does with contracts.  You get paid for future performance based on past performance.  I think the Knicks are still paying Allen Houston...

When Fitz got his contract, he didn't get lazy. He just wasn't that good to begin with!

I'm not sympathetic to the players cause (millionaires v. billionaires), but I think the league is going to move to guaranteed deals. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 2