Trump, Eagles, TSW TDS goes all in !

8 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I think it's time to take a step back here. You somewhat fall on the conservative side and we conservatives have never sided against programs for people with special challenges. Tell us more mrEpysYtown. Make your case.

The original question asked was if anyone's life was made worse since Trump took office and I answered that mine had because of cuts to this program. For us as a family, the ACCESS VR program was making college a possibility for my daughter who has autism but is higher functioning. It provided things like tutors and other other supports that give her a chance to do well in school. The idea of subsidizing  tuition, simply helps because there is a good chance she would fail a class. It gave her an opportunity to go away, because I got the break on tuition, I was able to pay for room and board. I can't get any financial aid or loans for her as I am in that grey area of class. 

A vocational program like this assures that my kid can become a contributing tax payer and member of society, functioning on her own and becoming a cog in the workforce. Without it, she is much more likely to wind up sitting at home and working for minimum wage. With these cuts, she will likely never have the opportunity to make it in the world on her own. She is home now and attending community college. 

To me, this is a program that is investing in a person's future, now. At this point, if she had to live on her own, she would surely have to be on welfare. So which one is better?   

I don't know if decisions were made on state or federal levels, all I know is the cuts were a direct result of Trump policy change. I wouldn't call myself a liberal or conservative...I just try to go with what makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The original question asked was if anyone's life was made worse since Trump took office and I answered that mine had because of cuts to this program. For us as a family, the ACCESS VR program was making college a possibility for my daughter who has autism but is higher functioning. It provided things like tutors and other other supports that give her a chance to do well in school. The idea of subsidizing  tuition, simply helps because there is a good chance she would fail a class. It gave her an opportunity to go away, because I got the break on tuition, I was able to pay for room and board. I can't get any financial aid or loans for her as I am in that grey area of class. 

A vocational program like this assures that my kid can become a contributing tax payer and member of society, functioning on her own and becoming a cog in the workforce. Without it, she is much more likely to wind up sitting at home and working for minimum wage. With these cuts, she will likely never have the opportunity to make it in the world on her own. She is home now and attending community college. 

To me, this is a program that is investing in a person's future, now. At this point, if she had to live on her own, she would surely have to be on welfare. So which one is better?   

I don't know if decisions were made on state or federal levels, all I know is the cuts were a direct result of Trump policy change. I wouldn't call myself a liberal or conservative...I just try to go with what makes sense. 

You should petition your local or state government to enact law which would benefit your daughter and family.

The federal government should be dealing in things which only have direct shared utility:  the military, the border, currency, etc..

The country is too large, and there are too many different cultures to be guided by policy which tax us all to provide exclusive direct benefit for some.  State populations are more homogenous, and are likely to share more similarities in values.  Hopefully you live in a state which would provide such a benefit to your daughter.  If not, you can petition the governments local to you, as I mentioned above.  Failing that you can move to an area which holds those same values.  You can reach out to private charities and churches.  You can reach out to the institutions of higher learning and ask them to provide the service at a reduced cost.

Every family and every individual has unique problems.  It is not the federal government's job to solve them.  The only just role of the federal government is to provide economic stability through law which is conducive to business, to provide and protect legal equity, and to secure peace and prosperity through the protection of our borders against invasion.

That's just about it.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Don't know how much experience you have with college applications and the various aid programs that are out there but you can likely find some help for your daughter.  Having put 3 through college 1 of which has a vision impairment I can tell you that acceptance and assistance varies wildly from state to state and school to school.  Being in community college now she could look to transfer to a 4 year school and for sure if you inquire you will find tutoring and other study accommodations available at most schools.  That is an absolute certainty but will vary some from school to school.  Financial aid-wise there should also be some offers out there but you have to dig at each school/state and her choice of major may also impact that. 

It can be a lot of work but worth it IMO.

Mine visually impaired was given extra time for testing, large font materials, visual aids, preferential course registration and applied for and received a small departmental scholarship. 

Don't know where you are but most in-state tuition is relatively cheap in most states. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2018 at 10:01 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

IDK, I personally think that a sitting politician using the weight of his office to pressure private industry to alter their policies is troubling. Especially when he seems to have vindictive, petty personal reasons for doing so. 

Man, you must have absolutely HATED Obama.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Ovechkin openly supported Putin in his election. I'll bet he gets an invite to the WH 

The entire team will get an invite as is custom.

Conservatives will then be butt hurt because Smith-Pelly does not attend.

Liberals will be butt hurt because Ovechkin attends.

It's going to become another fiasco to distract distract distract.

Edited by peace out
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, peace out said:

The entire team will get an invite as is custom.

Conservatives will then be butt hurt because Smith-Pelly does not attend.

Liberals will be butt hurt because Ovechkin attends.

It's going to become another fiasco to distract distract distract.

Only because guys like you want to make a big deal out of it. While Trump tackles real problems such as getting NK to get rid of its nukes and straightening out our trade deals you worry about who might or might not attend a WH celebration. That's distraction. At least you haven't taken a page out of gleeful gator's book and rooted for more school shootings to advance the agenda he's been told to follow.

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'm glad they cancelled it and don't think they should bring it back. Why is the government celebrating a private sport team anyway? It's a silly photo op that has become a negative distraction. 

It reeks of monarchy.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Only because guys like you want to make a big deal out of it. While Trump tackles real problems such as getting NK to get rid of its nukes and straightening out our trade deals you worry about who might or might not attend a WH celebration. That's distraction. At least you haven't taken a page out of gleeful gator's book and rooted for more school shootings to advance the agenda he's been told to follow.

guys like you want to make a big deal out of it

I don't, but keep up the charade.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, peace out said:

guys like you want to make a big deal out of it

I don't, but keep up the charade.

"It's going to become another fiasco to distract distract distract."

Your words. It certainly would appear that you are trying to make a big deal out of it.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Trump works? 

I thought the deal has already been reached with Kim, according to one poster, lol