June Movies: Jurassic World, Incredibles, Ocean's 8 & Hereditary

Ocean's 8 was unremarkable.

The characters are not interesting. The acting was flat. And the banter was forced.

Helena Bonham Carter was the only one with personality.

The most amusing dialogue were in the trailer.

Skip to the last 10 minutes of the movie where they explain the heist. It's the only part of the movie worth watching.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:54 PM, DC Tom said:

Ocean's 8 is seriously annoying me.  I'm not a huge fan of remakes to being with, I'm less of a fan of "remake for gender's sake."  

But this movie...they actually make Bullock's character - "Debbie" - Danny Ocean's sister???  A gender remake with a sibling relationship for faux continuity's sake?  That's just insultingly annoying.  On the DC Tom movie review scale, I proactively grant this movie four out of five penguins (five being, of course, "As bad as !@#$ing March of the !@#$ing Penguins.")

Girl Power!

On 6/10/2018 at 7:19 PM, Mark Vader said:

Saw "Hereditary" today. Creepy and bizarre is the best way for me to describe it. It's also quite good.

If you are expecting big time jumps and scares over and over, then you may be disappointed. More of a psychological thriller.

Toni Collete is very good in this movie, unfortunately Gabriel Byrne doesn't really get to do much.

We saw it on Sunday. 

Movie oozes quality but not without a couple flaws that keep it from being an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.                                                                                                                                                 First of all, the acting is top notch. Toni Collette is about as powerful a performance that I have seen in a while. The dinner scene made me so uncomfortable only because it was so convincing. I don't think I've ever seen her ever mail in an acting job. She is as solid as it gets. Oscar-worthy IMHO. But Hollywood and the Oscars, being what they are, there is no chance because it's a horror flick. They are full of shite anyway who cares what they do.

This is not to say the rest of the cast is average. Certainly not. The son is very good and equally convincing. The daughter is as creepy as it gets. I wish she was in it more!

Second, I guess due in large part to the acting, the movie is very immersive. The music score is effective but not overbearing setting the atmosphere. It's well shot and well lit.

Third is the refreshing lack of cheap jump scares. Unless I'm missing something I don't think there was a single one in the entire movie. It relies on good storytelling, acting and delayed gratification. It is a slow burn but I appreciated that. Very effective, think the original Alien. First half of the flick does move slow but it was so well done that was not a negative. 

Now the knock. The ending. For me, which you wouldn't think considering the slower pacing of the movie, the ending seemed kinda rushed and convoluted at the same time. They didn't seem to put the same care bringing it all together as they did the rest of the movie. Even considering this, the movie has so much going for it I would recommend it pretty highly. I so wanted to give this one a 8.5 or 9 but the conclusion of it keeps it at a 7.5. If you like horror flicks it is a must see.

Edited by Dante
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dante said:

We saw it on Sunday. 

Movie oozes quality but not without a couple flaws that keep it from being an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.                                                                                                                                                 First of all, the acting is top notch. Toni Collette is about as powerful a performance that I have seen in a while. The dinner scene made me so uncomfortable only because it was so convincing. I don't think her ever mail in an acting job though. She is as solid as it gets. Oscar-worthy IMHO. But Hollywood and the Oscars, being what they are, no chance probably because it's a horror flick. They are full of shite anyway who cares what they do.

This is not to say the rest of the cast is average. Certainly not. The son is very good and equally convincing. The daughter is as creepy as it gets. I wish she was in it more!

Second, I guess due in large part to the acting, the movie is very immersive. The music score is effective but not overbearing setting the atmosphere. It's well shot and well lit.

Third is the refreshing lack of cheap jump scares. Unless I'm missing something I don't think there was a single one in the entire movie. It relies on good storytelling, acting and delayed gratification. It is a slow burn but I appreciated the delayed gratification. Very effective, think the original Alien. First half of the flick does move slow but it was so well done that was not a negative. 

Now the knock. The ending. For me, which you wouldn't think considering the slower pacing of the movie, the ending seemed kinda rushed and convoluted at the same time. They didn't seem to put the same care bringing it all together as they did the rest of the movie. Even considering this, the movie has so much going for it I would recommend it pretty highly. I so wanted to give this one a 8.5 or 9 but the conclusion of it keeps it at a 7.5. If you like horror flicks it is a must see.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:19 PM, Mark Vader said:

Saw "Hereditary" today. Creepy and bizarre is the best way for me to describe it. It's also quite good.

If you are expecting big time jumps and scares over and over, then you may be disappointed. More of a psychological thriller.

Toni Collete is very good in this movie, unfortunately Gabriel Byrne doesn't really get to do much.

Thanks for the Hereditary review, my girl and I are going to see it at the transit drive inn this weekend, can’t wait.

Saving "Hereditary" and "Hotel Artemis" for the weekend, I saw "Upgrade" last night.  Solid, entertaining film.  There is some gore, but it's not constant or gratuitous, I don't think.  Can see the ending coming from a mile away though.

I wanted to post a pair of documentaries that are out this month and receiving outstanding reviews.

"Won't You Be My Neighbor?", Is an exploration of the life, lessons, and legacy of iconic children's television host, Fred Rogers.

And in "Three Identical Strangers", New York, 1980: three complete strangers accidentally discover that they are identical triplets, separated at birth. The 19-year-olds' joyous reunion catapults them to international fame, but it also unlocks an extraordinary and disturbing secret that goes beyond their own lives - and could transform our understanding of human nature forever.

Calendar with Trailers. Note: These dates are for Exclusive or Limited release. These films may appear in your area at a later date.

6/8

"Won't You Be My Neighbor?":     http://focusfeatures.com/wont-you-be-my-neighbor/

6/29

"Three Identical Strangers":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2892085273?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

On 6/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, LeviF91 said:

Excited to see Hereditary and Hotel Artemis.  I'll probably see Action Point after a few drinks or something and guffaw like an idiot.

I have a feeling Action Point will be hilarious.  Knoxville, per usual, did all of his own stunts.

Saw "Incredibles 2" last night, and it was very good.

It was a welcome sight to see these characters again.

There isn't much originality this time around, as this movie shares quite a few similarities with the first film, and that's a little disappointing.

Still, there are some great action sequences, fun new characters and some good laughs as well.

The first trailer had me concerned that this movie would just be a carbon copy of the first film, and in some ways it is. Thankfully, it does have it's fresh moments and it's a joy to see these characters going through their own personal issues and being superheros.

I hope that Disney/Pixar will continue to give us more adventures with The Incredibles.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/10/2018 at 7:19 PM, Mark Vader said:

Finally saw it yesterday.

Great movie. Like a mix between The Shining and The Exorcist.

Maybe they're not considered "jump scares," but people in the theater were definitely jumpy (including me). Idk what actually constitutes a jump scare.

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Finally saw it yesterday.

Great movie. Like a mix between The Shining and The Exorcist.

Maybe they're not considered "jump scares," but people in the theater were definitely jumpy (including me). Idk what actually constitutes a jump scare.

Here's a great example of one...

On 6/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

The Incredibles 2!!! It has been 14 years since the Incredibles came out. It was one of my favorite Pixar movies (along with Up). Here's hoping that Disney doesn't #*&% up this sequel.  Brad Bird is back, so I have hope.

Every time Disney gets their hands on something they just ruin it.   Woo, hold on here, we need more quips, we need more sass, we need more sarcasm and jokes in this script....They are just the absolute worst. 

Frozen was made entirely by focus groups IMO it was nothing but a collection of scenes people thought would be good in that sequence.   There was no plot and the underlying message was if you create your own problems you can solve them 

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Every time Disney gets their hands on something they just ruin it.   Woo, hold on here, we need more quips, we need more sass, we need more sarcasm and jokes in this script....They are just the absolute worst. 

Frozen was made entirely by focus groups IMO it was nothing but a collection of scenes people thought would be good in that sequence.   There was no plot and the underlying message was if you create your own problems you can solve them 

I hated Frozen. My son and I go to see a movie together several times a year in which I am the one to choose what we see. For one of those times, I chose Frozen (I like to torture him). He's usually a very good sport about doing a Disney movie, and before they bought Pixar a Pixar movie was never an issue when I chose one. 

We walked out of Frozen and looked at one another with a "WTF was that" kinda look.  Coulda knocked me over with a feather when it made all that money. It was simply dreadful.  The days of Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King are looooong gone.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1