June Movies: Jurassic World, Incredibles, Ocean's 8 & Hereditary

With schools starting to close, the Summer season of movies will be moving into full gear. Big name franchises with big name actors and big production costs will be in full force. There are plenty types to choose from and there could be a couple of surprises as well. Action is always the more prominent subject that rules this time of year and two movies will provide that, albeit in different formats.

Universal gives us more dinosaurs as Chris Pratt & Bryce Dallas Howard star in, "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom". When the island's dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen and Claire mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event. The last Jurassic movie showed that fans were more than willing to return to this franchise, and it also continued Chris Pratt's hot streak. Also starring Ted Levine, James Cromwell, Toby Jones, BD Wong, & Jeff Goldblum.

It's been 14 years, but Disney and Pixar follow up their animated hit with, "Incredibles 2". Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is left to care for Jack-Jack while Helen (Elastigirl) is out saving the world. Starring the voices of Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel L. Jackson, Catherine Keener, Bob Oedenkirk, Isabella Rossellini, Sophia Bush & John Ratzenberger.

Warner Bros. continues a franchise with a different turn with, "Ocean's 8". Debbie Ocean gathers an all-female crew to attempt an impossible heist at New York City's yearly Met Gala. Starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Rihanna, & Awkwafina.

A24 releases festival fave horror, "Hereditary". When the matriarch of the Graham family passes away, her daughter's family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. Starring Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Alex Wolff & Milly Shapiro.

In the sequel that no one was expecting, "Sicario: Day of the Soldado", The drug war on the US-Mexico border has escalated as the cartels have begun trafficking terrorists across the US border. To fight the war, federal agent Matt Graver re-teams with the mercurial Alejandro. Starring Josh Brolin, Benicio Del Toro, Catherine Keener, Isabela Moner & Matthew Modine.

In "Tag", A small group of former classmates organize an elaborate, annual game of tag that requires some to travel all over the country. Starring Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, Ed Helms, Isla Fisher, Annabelle Wallis, Rashida Jones, Leslie Bibb, & Jake Johnson.

Jodie Foster stars in "Hotel Artemis". Set in riot-torn, near-future Los Angeles, 'Hotel Artemis' follows the Nurse, who runs a secret, members-only emergency room for criminals. Also starring Jeff Goldblum, Sofia Boutella, Sterling K. Brown, Charlie Day, Zachary Quinto & Dave Bautista.

"SuperFly" is is a remake of the 1972 blaxploitation film 'Super Fly'. Starring Trevor Jackson, Jason Mitchell, Lex Scott Davis & Jennifer Morrison. 

John Travolta is "Gotti". The story of crime boss John Gotti and his son. Also starring Stacy Keach, Kelly Preston, Pruitt Taylor Vince & Spencer Rocco Lofranco.

"Adift" is based on the true story of survival, a young couple's chance encounter leads them first to love, and then on the adventure of a lifetime as they face one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history. Starring Shailene Woodley & Sam Claflin.

In "Upgrade", Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem. Starring Logan Marshall-Green, Richard Anastasios & Rosco Campbell.

Johnny Knoxville stars in "Action Point". A daredevil designs and operates his own theme park with his friends. Also starring Brigette Lundy-Paine, Susan Yeagley & Johnny Pemberton.

Finally, in "Uncle Drew", After draining his life savings to enter a team in the Rucker Classic street ball tournament in Harlem, Dax is dealt a series of unfortunate setbacks, including losing his team to his longtime rival. Desperate to win the tournament and the cash prize, Dax stumbles upon the man, the myth, the legend UNCLE DREW. Starring Lil Rel Howery, Tiffany Haddish, Kyrie Irving & Shaquille O'Neal.

Calendar with Trailers.

6/1

"Action Point":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi1528739865?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_13

"Adrift":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2504636441?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_15

"Upgrade":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3245520921?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_3

6/8

"Hereditary":     https://a24films.com/films/hereditary

"Ocean's 8":     http://www.oceans8movie.com/

"Hotel Artemis":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi124172313?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_5

6/15

"Incredibles 2":     https://movies.disney.com/incredibles-2

"SuperFly":     http://www.superfly.movie/site/

"Tag":     http://www.tagthemovie.com/

"Gotti":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3662460953?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_3

6/22

"Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom":     http://www.jurassicworld.com/Movies, Trailers, Games & More

6/29

"Sicario: Day of the Soldado":     https://www.soldado.movie/

"Uncle Drew":     https://www.uncledrew.movie/

That's all for now. I'll post some Independent movies later. Until then.....Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Universal gives us more dinosaurs as Chris Pratt & Bryce Dallas Howard star in, "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom". When the island's dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen and Claire mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event. The last Jurassic movie showed that fans were more than willing to return to this franchise, and it also continued Chris Pratt's hot streak. Also starring Ted Levine, James Cromwell, Toby Jones, BD Wong, & Jeff Goldblum.

Please tell me he keeps a dinosaur in a pit and forces it to put on lotion.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Incredibles 2!!! It has been 14 years since the Incredibles came out. It was one of my favorite Pixar movies (along with Up). Here's hoping that Disney doesn't #*&% up this sequel.  Brad Bird is back, so I have hope.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, shrader said:

Please tell me he keeps a dinosaur in a pit and forces it to put on lotion.

I was wondering if we would get some kind of reference like this.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The Incredibles 2!!! It has been 14 years since the Incredibles came out. It was one of my favorite Pixar movies (along with Up). Here's hoping that Disney doesn't #*&% up this sequel.  Brad Bird is back, so I have hope.

I love "The Incredibles", and it's about damn time that they made a sequel. I also am glad that Brad Bird has returned with it as well.

However, the trailer for this movie makes me nervous. Having Elastigirl be the one out fighting crime while Mr. Incredible has to stay home and take care of Jack-Jack is straight out of comedy television sitcom 101. Not creative at all.

Then we see Dash washing his hands in 3 phases, Violet having issues, and Frozone's wife, Honey, yelling in the background. We saw all of this in the first movie. We don't need to re-hash jokes.

I will give Pixar & Brad Bird every chance in the world, because they almost never miss. I'm hoping that they saved all of the real good stuff in the movie, instead of stuffing it all in the trailer. A pattern with what we have seen with Disney by showing their biggest laughs in trailers for "Zootopia" & the upcoming "Ralph Breaks the Internet".

Just have to wait and see.

Ocean's 8 is seriously annoying me.  I'm not a huge fan of remakes to being with, I'm less of a fan of "remake for gender's sake."  

But this movie...they actually make Bullock's character - "Debbie" - Danny Ocean's sister???  A gender remake with a sibling relationship for faux continuity's sake?  That's just insultingly annoying.  On the DC Tom movie review scale, I proactively grant this movie four out of five penguins (five being, of course, "As bad as !@#$ing March of the !@#$ing Penguins.")

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I was wondering if we would get some kind of reference like this.

I love "The Incredibles", and it's about damn time that they made a sequel. I also am glad that Brad Bird has returned with it as well.

However, the trailer for this movie makes me nervous. Having Elastigirl be the one out fighting crime while Mr. Incredible has to stay home and take care of Jack-Jack is straight out of comedy television sitcom 101. Not creative at all.

Then we see Dash washing his hands in 3 phases, Violet having issues, and Frozone's wife, Honey, yelling in the background. We saw all of this in the first movie. We don't need to re-hash jokes.

I will give Pixar & Brad Bird every chance in the world, because they almost never miss. I'm hoping that they saved all of the real good stuff in the movie, instead of stuffing it all in the trailer. A pattern with what we have seen with Disney by showing their biggest laughs in trailers for "Zootopia" & the upcoming "Ralph Breaks the Internet".

Just have to wait and see.

Dooooonnnn'tttttt (she whined) I want it to be as good, if not better than the first one. And, I have the same concerns you do.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Ocean's 8 is seriously annoying me.  I'm not a huge fan of remakes to being with, I'm less of a fan of "remake for gender's sake."  

But this movie...they actually make Bullock's character - "Debbie" - Danny Ocean's sister???  A gender remake with a sibling relationship for faux continuity's sake?  That's just insultingly annoying.  On the DC Tom movie review scale, I proactively grant this movie four out of five penguins (five being, of course, "As bad as !@#$ing March of the !@#$ing Penguins.")

Wasn’t Oceans 11 already a remake? So we now have a gender swapped remake of a remake. 

Unfortunately I can't seem to avoid the commercials for the new Jurassic Park film.

That franchise just won't die!  Somebody, please, kill it!

The summer is usually a good time of year to avoid the cinema.

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Unfortunately I can't seem to avoid the commercials for the new Jurassic Park film.

That franchise just won't die!  Somebody, please, kill it!

The summer is usually a good time of year to avoid the cinema.

It's a great concept, so I never want it to die. However, the movies suck. The last one sucked and this one will, too. 

It'd be great if they could make it into a legitimately scary movie, like the first Jurassic Park really attempted to be. They won't make as much money from that approach, though.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, DC Tom said:

Begin

On 6/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I was hoping for a time travel story with them going back and saving all of those heroes from Syndrome.  I found the files part of DVD fascinating.

Interesting that they chose to have no time elapsed between movies.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, DC Tom said:

Just call it Ocean meets the GhostBUSTers.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:53 AM, LeviF91 said:

Excited to see Hereditary and Hotel Artemis.  I'll probably see Action Point after a few drinks or something and guffaw like an idiot.

These are the two that intrigue me the most, too.

I just saw the trailer for Hereditary and it looks legitimately creepy. I might actually see this opening weekend.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:53 AM, LeviF91 said:

Excited to see Hereditary and Hotel Artemis.  I'll probably see Action Point after a few drinks or something and guffaw like an idiot.

On 6/8/2018 at 2:54 AM, LeGOATski said:

These are the two that intrigue me the most, too.

I just saw the trailer for Hereditary and it looks legitimately creepy. I might actually see this opening weekend.

Saw "Hereditary" today. Creepy and bizarre is the best way for me to describe it. It's also quite good.

If you are expecting big time jumps and scares over and over, then you may be disappointed. More of a psychological thriller.

Toni Collete is very good in this movie, unfortunately Gabriel Byrne doesn't really get to do much.

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Saw "Hereditary" today. Creepy and bizarre is the best way for me to describe it. It's also quite good.

If you are expecting big time jumps and scares over and over, then you may be disappointed. More of a psychological thriller.

Toni Collete is very good in this movie, unfortunately Gabriel Byrne doesn't really get to do much.

I'm seeing it Thursday.  Saw "Action Point" over the weekend and it was exactly what I expected.  Cheap laughs good for when you're a little buzzed.