Lets Check Back To Reality On The Bills Defense

I actually think our defense has the potential to be one of the best young outfits in the league.

Theyre gonna meet bumps in the road, bad games, and everything.

They will also surprise and have great games.

These kids are talented tho, our secondary is kind of solid CB2 remains to be seen.

Were missing one pass rusher we can grab in next years draft and maybe another rotational DT but I like how this defense is being built

• Like (+1) 1

The reality for me is the defense was entertaining when the offense was boring stalling out and living on the sideline.

I'm not living in any reality our defense won't be at least very good if not spectacular. They got the job done. Held the Jaguars to 10 points bro, that was reality to me. 

Edited by Lfod

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re more optimistic than I am, Corta. I see Star Looneylewinski as a poor man’s Adolphus Washington and Murphy as washed up. We haven’t had any pass rush ends since Mario’s 2nd last season. Kyle’s best playing is behind him and whoever/whatever player rushes from the other side likely only hurries a few throws. I do like the way LBs are shaping up but the young guys will be exploited by great offenses. The secondary is also encouraging, but is a major injury away from being brutalized. 

#NotThisYear

And we will all get polio and Walmart will be fresh out of Iron Lungs.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re more optimistic than I am, Corta. I see Star Looneylewinski as a poor man’s Adolphus Washington and Murphy as washed up. We haven’t had any pass rush ends since Mario’s 2nd last season. Kyle’s best playing is behind him and whoever/whatever player rushes from the other side likely only hurries a few throws. I do like the way LBs are shaping up but the young guys will be exploited by great offenses. The secondary is also encouraging, but is a major injury away from being brutalized. 

#NotThisYear

Jerry, there's already a thread about your buyout. Please keep your comments to that thread. Thanks.

-The Management

13 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I have some doubts about this D also...mostly centered on the pass rush.  I do not see it as consistent...or even league average.  They have to show they can put some pressure on the passer.

we haven't seen anything yet

I not only think the defense will be better I think it will have better depth than last year.   If you look at the guys McBeane brought in like Milano and Tre White, this talk about Gelling and adjusting to a new team means literally nothing.    White was a Bill the second we drafted him and I believe Star, Murphy, Edmunds will all fit in the exact same way.   As did Gaines when we traded for him.   Star is already familiar with our defense, and Murphy is a veteran who should need zero adjustment time, this is what OTAs are for.   

I expect this defense to be MUCH better, the guys collecting paychecks are gone.   

To me it all comes down to pass rush. My hope is that the coach has a plan to cover for the lack of one. But you never know, maybe we actually see something from Shaq this season. As a former first rounder it’s time for him to step up.

15 hours ago, corta765 said:

OK so I am not here to say the Bills defense will suck or be a bad unit. In fact I think they could Top 10ish in the league and looking back on the season see a formidable unit with its best days to come. With that said I have seen a lottt of posters assuming all ready this defense is going to be great with some going as far as Top 5. I love the enthusiasm but we need to take the reality pill a little also.

***snip***

Top 5?

Top 5?!?!

I know I said we'd be Top 5, but we'll be top 2, and we're not 2, I thought you had one but it's not one, corta nah.

Hermes link, ice blue...

I'll see myself out.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

To me it all comes down to pass rush. My hope is that the coach has a plan to cover for the lack of one. But you never know, maybe we actually see something from Shaq this season. As a former first rounder it’s time for him to step up.

i've never been a fan of dc's who are reluctant to blitz .....and frazier is one of those.  i have always contended that the way to beat the best like brady is blitz the crap out of them. so they beat you and complete here and there, but at least by beating them up you have a chance.

however, if they want to rely on the front 4 for pressure (which was the problem last year) i'm glad to see they're building a line capable of doing that. would still like to see more blitzing.

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i've never been a fan of dc's who are reluctant to blitz .....and frazier is one of those.  i have always contended that the way to beat the best like brady is blitz the crap out of them. so they beat you and complete here and there, but at least by beating them up you have a chance.

however, if they want to rely on the front 4 for pressure (which was the problem last year) i'm glad to see they're building a line capable of doing that. would still like to see more blitzing.

to beat brady the front four have to get to him with the secondary giving them time for coverage sacks.  he can just get that ball out so quick. if we can take away those short throws or at least keep them to short gains that's the ticket.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

to beat brady the front four have to get to him with the secondary giving them time for coverage sacks.  he can just get that ball out so quick. if we can take away those short throws or at least keep them to short gains that's the ticket.  

100% agree.  People think you have to beat Brady by blitzing. The stats simply do not back that up.  When you blitz him he finds the open guy and gets the ball out so quick he will beat you with a thousand cuts. The book on beating him is you have to get there with 4 and you need to stunt and twist and confuse him who is rushing from where if possible.  And ideally you need to get loose up the middle of the pocket.  Disrupt the middle. Your DBs need to play close to the line and they need to disrupt the receivers early in their routes and then you need refs who let you play a little bit in those short zones.  Do not get me wrong it is darn hard to do.... and you kind of need the right balance of players to do it effectively.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

And the award for “the most awful and ill-informed post of the day” goes to..... 

as for what the OP said. I don’t get what posters you are seeing. From what I’ve seen the majority of what people are saying is it could be a borderline top 10 unit. That’s realistic and it’s something you seem to agree with. I’m not seeing much about the D being over hyped around here honestly. 

Murphy had 6 sacks through 2 seasons before being a convicted doper and just 2 PDef in 3 years. Then he blew out his ACL & MCL before the ‘Skins let him go. Maybe being a ‘Has Been’ is incorrect. Perhaps he’s a ‘Never Was’..

Lotulelie has averaged <2 tackles/game, <2.5 Sacks/yr & 1PDef/yr. I can’t believe Carolina would just let him go?

One teams’ nasty stank is another teams’ garbage.

Progressing to a Top 20 Defense is possible, given familiarity with the scheme. Top 5 to Top 10 is a pipe dream, in my ill- informed opinion.

Defense doesn't take as long to gel as an offense. How many starters are returning? Hughes, Williams, Lawson, Alexander, Milano, White, Poyer, Hyde... that's eight. Newcomers are Lotulelei, Murphy, Davis and Edmunds. Murphy and Hughes have both been in the top ten in terms of QB pressures the last few seasons. Last season, Bills lacked a presence in the middle that could eat up space/occupy multiple blockers to free up DEs and LBs. Lotulelei is exactly that, a space-eater that has no issue doing the dirty work in the trenches to free up teammates. Edmunds is in a good place having Alexander to work with him. Davis is a veteran who shouldn't have much trouble picking things up and winning the other starting CB slot. Hyde and Poyer should only get better after having a full year of playing together. Sure, LB can be seen as a question mark, as well as nickel CB but overall, I think they'll be alright. I especially think they'll be better up front with a better crop of players to rotate on the DL.

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Murphy had 6 sacks through 2 seasons before being a convicted doper and just 2 PDef in 3 years. Then he blew out his ACL & MCL before the ‘Skins let him go. Maybe being a ‘Has Been’ is incorrect. Perhaps he’s a ‘Never Was’..

Lotulelie has averaged <2 tackles/game, <2.5 Sacks/yr & 1PDef/yr. I can’t believe Carolina would just let him go?

Progressing to a Top 20 Defense is possible, given familiarity with the scheme. Top 5 to Top 10 is a pipe dream, in my ill- informed opinion.

except the skins had him playing olb for the first two seasons and then switched him to def end where he flourished in 2016.  we are playing him at def end so the idea is he will continue the great play at def end.  Star was the nose tackle on that d line which allowed for the other guys to put up the stats you love to look at.  That's probably what he will be doing in our defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

the fact that you are referencing stats for a space eater like star says all I need to know here. the guy was the centerpiece of that run d for years. 

space eaters like him aren't paid for raw numbers. they get paid when they do their job, penetrate and eat up space for everyone else. and he's been on of the best at that since he entered the league...…. casey Hampton was a renowned and elite space eater. he averaged a mere 31 tackles a season.

like i said. ill-informed.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the fact that you are referencing stats for a space eater like star says all I need to know here. the guy was the centerpiece of that run d for years. 

space eaters like him aren't paid for raw numbers. they get paid when they do their job, penetrate and eat up space for everyone else. and he's been on of the best at that since he entered the league...…. casey Hampton was a renowned and elite space eater. he averaged a mere 31 tackles a season.

like i said. ill-informed.

Please explain why- if he’s so great- Carolina allowed to walk. 

PS He’s not

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

PS He’s not

becuz they had plenty of other pieces. they knew a team in need would overpay him a bit and he wasn't quite worth it to them.

I believe we overpayed for him but I also believe he's an obvious upgrade..... becuz he will be. hands down. saying he's a poor mans Washington is an incredibly bad take. Washington was absolutely awful last year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

PS He’s not

Chandler I think it all depends on what they plan on using him for

He is a space eater....a guy that takes up 2 blockers at a time and lets guys like Edmunds and Milano scrape and make plays

Controlling the line of scrimmage is really valuable.   I did NOT want to be relying on Adolphus Washington for this who is frankly soft and gets pushed around up front.

• Like (+1) 1