Bills' OTAs Week 3 (June 4-5) and (June 7-8) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday at 11 AM ET

Josh Allen was seventh pick in NFL draft, but remains third string with Buffalo Bills

ORCHARD PARK — Josh Allen may be the future quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, but for right now, he’s a rookie third-stringer, and that’s not changing anytime soon.

“To this point, it’s been Nate (Peterman) and A.J. (McCarron) splitting the 1’s and Josh has been with the 3’s,” coach Sean McDermott reiterated Thursday prior to the start of the Bills’ final OTA session of the spring. “It’s a fluid situation. It’s all part of doing what’s best for our football team and for Josh’s development overall. It’s just what’s the right thing to do at the right time.”

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Nate looking good?

Cant even imagine the meltdown if he is starting at any time this year..

As someone who has completely written off Nate Peterman I will not have a meltdown.  I will hope all week that he is the franchise guy we have been waiting for.  I'll have a knot in my stomach just like last year but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.  I don't wish for anyone's failure.  I don't think he has what it takes but would love to be wrong!

Edited by section122
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, section122 said:

As someone who has completely written off Nate Peterman I will not have a meltdown.  I will hope all week that he is the franchise guy we have been waiting for.  I'll have a knot in my stomach just like last year but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.  I don't wish for anyone's failure.  I don't think he has what it takes but would love to be wrong!

As a rookie he proved incapable of handling pressure and appeared to lack the requisite arm strength to play at this level. The former is something he can learn to overcome, but the latter is very difficult to improve in a meaningful way.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As a rookie he proved incapable of handling pressure and appeared to lack the requisite arm strength to play at this level. The former is something he can learn to overcome, but the latter is very difficult to improve in a meaningful way.

Would be awesome if NP became a viable option.  Just need a few worthwhile starts out of him and/or AJ to delay Allen's push into the starting line up.  It's in Allen's best interest to delay that as long as possible.

Also could create some trade bait...

Playing 3rd string, screwing up a little. Seeing what doesn’t work is a lot better right now for Allen than anything.  Everyone here is judging everything, using preconceived notions.  Instilling an agenda, I’d rather see him learn from screwing up in 3rd team as he Gets a foundation in. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.  I don't THINK he will be any good and I think people only cling to him because he fit the anyone but Taylor crowd's desire for a qb.  It amazes me that people still defend him.  If a rb came in and was a 5th rounder and had 5 fumbles in a half everyone would want him cut.  Hell if any 5th rounder came in and had 5 penalties in a half let alone turnovers, everyone would want him cut.  For some reason though Peterman is Teflon for some.  

• Like (+1) 1

In my opinion Allen getting third team reps is as much about taking it slow as it is trying to install a new offense and getting the rest of the offense up to speed.

Getting the rest of the offense comfortable in the new scheme will only help when Allen eventually takes first team reps.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills OTAs: WR Reilly, DE Odighizuwa Get Plenty of Looks with 1st Team

The Bills wrapped up their second-to-last Organized Team Activity Thursday, which was also the last one open to the media before next week’s mandatory minicamp.  Here are some notes, videos, and observations:

5 THINGS WE LEARNED FROM WEEK 3 OF OTAS

tre-6-7-photo-use.jpg
The last practice of the week to close out OTAs was intense, but coach McDermott explained how that's been the norm, rather than the exception.

BILLS MINUTE: QUARTERBACKS SPLIT REPS (1:10)
Bills Quarterback's AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman, and Josh Allen split reps during the final week of OTA's and Defensive Lineman Shaq Lawson has a new focus on developing as a pass rusher.

I'm curious to hear if Reilly got any separation from the starting corners since he got most time at outside WR.

It'll be fun to watch the Wrs compete for spots.

Im thinking it'll Kelvin #1, zay #2, kerley #3

After that all spots are competed for between - reilly, Robert foster, ray ray, streater, holmes, proehl, dupre, Bray, phillips

Edited by Brian3488

7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills OTAs, Week Three

ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) - In a blink of an eye, the final week of Organized Team Activities for the Buffalo Bills is almost over, and that means we're that much closer to the start of training camp. As the Bills took to the field for their second-to-last voluntary workout on Thursday, there was some movement within the depth chart along with some positive performances.

What stood out from Thursday's session? Seven observations from the Bills day of work:
1) Josh Allen sticking with the 3s
2) Milano's absence noticeable
3) Kerley entrenched with the top unit
4) Groy vs. Bodine
5) Lawson continues along with an added role
6) Taiwan Jones had trouble hanging on to the ball
7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills OTAs, Week Three

ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) - In a blink of an eye, the final week of Organized Team Activities for the Buffalo Bills is almost over, and that means we're that much closer to the start of training camp. As the Bills took to the field for their second-to-last voluntary workout on Thursday, there was some movement within the depth chart along with some positive performances.

What stood out from Thursday's session? Seven observations from the Bills day of work:
1) Josh Allen sticking with the 3s
2) Milano's absence noticeable
3) Kerley entrenched with the top unit
4) Groy vs. Bodine
5) Lawson continues along with an added role
6) Taiwan Jones had trouble hanging on to the ball
7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

I was hoping to see Wyatt Teller as the back-up to Ducasse not Miller, but is still too early to project positions. 

13 hours ago, section122 said:

Amen brotha!!!

On 6/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, FearLess Price said:

Our offense is probobly taking a big step back and thats bad considering Dennison nuetered our offense last season. Simply off our OL and WR rosters. Our defense should be better.

It depends - if you really believe Dennison was the biggest reason the offense was bad last year - then if Daboll is a better coach - even with a few weaker players - he should easily be able to get more out of the offense.

If Dennison was only part of the problem and TT was another big piece - both were replaced - so again you have Daboll and a new QB that is a question mark.

The WRs are bad, but I don’t think they are worse than our starting WRs last year to me they are a wash.  The interesting piece will be OLine - it looks weaker on paper, but in the past Groy replaced Wood with no drop off.  So you have either Groy or Bodine at center - maybe a slight drop off.  The big loss is Cogs and the Bills obviously did not grade him as high as places like PFF.  I expect a small step back as the new guys work to function as a unit, but I think a good game plan can counter most of that.

I expect realistically to see the Bills offense much as it has the last 3 years struggling at times and making plays at times - the hope is they can make plays when they need to to win a few close games.