Bills' OTAs Week 3 (June 4-5) and (June 7-8) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday at 11 AM ET

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Listening to McD, I really get the impression that they are going to go the Mahomes route with Allen this year. Anyone else get that vibe from this mornings presser?

I completely agree. He even said, when referencing the "plan" for Josh Allen, that they want to get certain "fundamentals" basics in place before anything else.

That being said, I honestly won't be surprised one bit either way. I could see him riding the pine for 10-16 games, or I could see him starting after about week 5. Much of it depends not only on how HE progresses, but how well the other quarterbacks play.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I completely agree. He even said, when referencing the "plan" for Josh Allen, that they want to get certain "fundamentals" basics in place before anything else.

That being said, I honestly won't be surprised one bit either way. I could see him riding the pine for 10-16 games, or I could see him starting after about week 5. Much of it depends not only on how HE progresses, but how well the other quarterbacks play.

The best thing we can really hope for is that AJM is actually (like TE Scott Chandler) a decent player sitting behind a encumbant starter with another team.....and he is going to get his chance to show his stuff.

Allen's ceiling is sky high....but he has some fundamental issues that it would be better to work with him on instead of throwing him straight to the fire....if AJM is not horrible we can do that.

Also....great to see Brandon Reilly out there getting a shot....I really like this player

31 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Listening to McD, I really get the impression that they are going to go the Mahomes route with Allen this year. Anyone else get that vibe from this mornings presser?

I think so too. That said, the "plan" may not result in the same thing that happened with Mahomes last year. That is, the Chiefs were able to keep him firmly planted on the bench for his rookie season with the exception of the meaningless regular season finale at least partly for the following reasons:

1. Alex Smith had a career year as the starter, and he remained helathy

2. The Chiefs were in playoff contention all season and wound up winning the division

Hence, there was no rush to get the rookie on the field. And, despite the fact that he looked great in a meaningless game, we have no way of knowing whether or not the coaches felt Mahomes was ready to start at any point during the 2018 season given how well Smith played. The fact that they traded Smith and are going into this season with Mahomes as the starter tells us now they feel he is ready.

The Bills situation with Allen looks to be different this season:

1. There is uncertainty about the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart

2. I am hopeful that the team will be in playoff contention, but honest evaluation would indicate otherwise heading into the preseason

I would love for McCarron (or Peterman) to step up and be a reliable starting QB this season. Then the Bills can take their time with Allen and avoid the temptation to rush him out on the field before he is ready. However, if McCarron/Peterman struggle and the team feels that Allen represents the best change to either win in 2018 or gain valuable playing experience for 2019 and beyond, I think we could see Josh Allen by mid-season.

I am at least happy that the current regime appears to not be making the mistakes that prior regimes made with our last 2 first round QBs:
Losman handed the job in year 2 after he had done nothing to deserve it.

EJ pressed into the starting job as a rookie because there was no viable starting option ahead of him on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Any WR is reliant on QB and all those things you mentioned.

I expect him to be 1. Available to play; 2. A huge red zone threat; 3. Catch everything that is within a 3 foot radius of him. 

I dont expect 1500yds receiving but let’s not treat Benjamin like he’s Zay Jones. KB is a legit NFL WR. 

Ehhhhhh