The media vs Josh Allen (QB First Impressions article)

23 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

I am definitely an Allen fan and have tried to reasonably show why I feel he will be better than average. And now I see why a lot of the negative posters try and find anything to further their agenda. The article I mentioned was one of the milder ones out there. But I think the Buffalo media doesn't mention inaccuracy in a post, that they will lose half their audience. I don't see where Allen has been any worse than any of the other top 5 taken. But reading the different takes you would think he throws half of his passes in the dirt. There are a lot of people going to be eating crow when Allen gets done. And I am not talking about the pro Allen crowd. And it will take a few more years to finish the rebuild, but I feel the Bills staff is doing it correctly by putting out a good defense first. It just hardly ever works by trying to build the offense and defense equally at the same time. So whoever quarterbacks the Bills this year is going to struggle regardless.

Dude.  At this point, trying to show Allen will be "better than average" is as much an "agenda" as anything else.  If you can't see that, it speaks volumes.

I have not read any takes that suggest anything like "Allen throws half his passes in the dirt".  If you feel you have, post one link here.  Just one.

Those of us who watched film on Allen, including his college film, combine performance and pro day, knew that he

1) had a great arm

2) could throw jaw-dropping laser guided missiles

3) made WTF was that? inaccurate throws at times.  This included his pro day and combine where you could see some throws he threw behind the LOS or for short yardage off-target high

4) at best, hard to see his ability to make reads or progressions because he was playing behind a very poor OL

Maybe, just maybe, an article reporting his accuracy as a "work in progress" is seeing the same things we all saw in 3) above.

Maybe, just maybe, when the article correctly reports " he marched downfield and lofted an accurate fade pattern to wide receiver Cam Phillips for a touchdown", the negative agenda is in your interpretation and not in the actual press-written words.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe, just maybe, an article reporting his accuracy as a "work in progress" is seeing the same things we all saw in 3) above.

Maybe, just maybe, when the article correctly reports " he marched downfield and lofted an accurate fade pattern to wide receiver Cam Phillips for a touchdown", the negative agenda is in your interpretation and not in the actual press-written words.

Post of the week, and it's only Monday.

Yawn.

Sorry did someone say anything we haven't heard already a billion times without any actual news?  Yes.  regurgitated crap by a crap 'beat' writer.

Quick, Rodak, we need a piece on Allen.  OK, I'll just write the same stuff I've been writing.

Rodak's seen 2 of the total of 6 practices for OTAs (at most since he maybe didn't attend any of them).  Who cares what he has to say?

OP - if you read the write-up on Mayfield, he got no stellar review either.  There is no slant in the writing, there is slant in the perception of the reading.  Not knocking you, we're fans, we are going to take things more personal than we should about our team.

• Like (+1) 3

Lol wow. Apparently if a meaningless OTA blurb report isn’t glowingly positive it must signify some sort of unfair bias or witch hunt by the reporter for some around here. 

Not a fan of Rodak either, but it seems to me what the OP (and others) really want is the establishment of an echo chamber to reinforce their wishes and unfounded beliefs. Don’t we already have enough of that in other areas of the news? 

This is what I was talking about recently in another thread when I mentioned the growing army of excuse makers for Allen and was laughed at, accused of being drunk at 7am, etc. A media member posts a less than 100% positive review of Allen’s performance? Well that’s just hackery, Patriot bias, on and on it goes. It really is pathetic. Rodak gave Allen a very positive assessment for the last drive of that meaningless practice. Not enough?

Or maybe people are getting more and more upset because Rosen is getting great reviews in Arizona.

23 minutes ago, MTBill said:

Yawn.

Sorry did someone say anything we haven't heard already a billion times without any actual news?  Yes.  regurgitated crap by a crap 'beat' writer.

Quick, Rodak, we need a piece on Allen.  OK, I'll just write the same stuff I've been writing.

Rodak's seen 2 of the total of 6 practices for OTAs (at most since he maybe didn't attend any of them).  Who cares what he has to say?

OP - if you read the write-up on Mayfield, he got no stellar review either.  There is no slant in the writing, there is slant in the perception of the reading.  Not knocking you, we're fans, we are going to take things more personal than we should about our team.

Bills Fans when Rodak writes a negative review - He's a Pats fan he knows nothing, hes a hack.

Bills fans when Rodak writes something positive - Crickets.

Allen is a work in progress. I dont know how anyone could say any different at this point in time. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MTBill said:

Yawn.

Every ESPN beat writer was asked to assess rookie QBs from the 2018 draft. What Rodak wrote is consistent with the perspective of others who have been at OTAs.  Not at all a big deal with far too much overreaction by some here on TSW.  It's early in the game and nothing much should be gleaned from these learning sessions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Bills Fans when Rodak writes a negative review - He's a Pats fan he knows nothing, hes a hack.

Bills fans when Rodak writes something positive - Crickets.

Allen is a work in progress. I dont know how anyone could say any different at this point in time. 

Crickets because Rodak doesn't write anything positive about the Bills.  Anytime he writes something that even looks positive, there is always a backhanded negative in there.  And we don't say he's a hack, we say he's extremely biased against the Bills.  I still giggle a little when I think about how the Bills exposed him as a chump last season.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Bangarang said:

When you say Josh Allen vs the media, you are referring to something written by one person? An article in which you don’t even provide the link for us to actually see what was written. Also, this person is someone who has had access to watch Allen so why should I assume he’s wrong? Is it because it’s not what you want to hear? It’s OTAs. Even if he is struggling, it’s not a big deal right now. 

I was thinking the same things plus maybe the Buffalo media is trying to sugar coat it a little with Allen also. We all know they've been known to do this on occasion. 

58 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Crickets because Rodak doesn't write anything positive about the Bills.  Anytime he writes something that even looks positive, there is always a backhanded negative in there.  And we don't say he's a hack, we say he's extremely biased against the Bills.  I still giggle a little when I think about how the Bills exposed him as a chump last season.

The very blurb that is the subject of this thread proves you wrong chief. He had a positive opinion of Allen’s final drive in practice. 

Just proves you don’t read Rodak’s stuff anymore and don’t know what you’re talking about.

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

The very blurb that is the subject of this thread proves you wrong chief. He had a positive opinion of Allen’s final drive in practice. 

Just proves you don’t read Rodak’s stuff anymore and don’t know what you’re talking about.

*cough*

Anytime he writes something that even looks positive, there is always a backhanded negative in there.

...just proves you didn't read my stuff and don't know what you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

*cough*

...just proves you didn't read my stuff and don't know what you're talking about.

Pardon? So if that’s your take then where’s the backhanded negative from the piece here? Seems pretty straightforward - allen was inaccurate and bad, then tried again and did better. 

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Pardon? So if that’s your take then where’s the backhanded negative from the piece here? Seems pretty straightforward - allen was inaccurate and bad, then tried again and did better. 

Allen's off-the-charts arm strength has been evident in the velocity of the passes he has thrown; the accuracy seems to be a work in progress. -- Mike Rodak

Bolded it for you.  Basically, you will never find a Rodak article about the Bills where the positives outweigh the negatives.  He's biased, moreso now after looking like a chump for his "over before it started" prophecy.  In this case, I was shocked to see an equal mix of pro and con, rare for him.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:21 AM, Scorp83 said:

Because the other QB's are going against  much stiffer competition then Allen...& he's with the 3rd string... but hey if you people want them to lie to you...then go ahead & be upset. From what I heard...Allen has been up & down according to Sal. "Up & Down" against the 3rd string...let that sink in...

I believe Mayfield has also been taking snaps with the 3rd string, although that was not captured in the OP article....
" Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns haven’t made Mayfield available for interviews during their two open OTAs, and he’s still working with the third string, behind Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton. "

Depth charts are pretty well known to not be very meaningful until well into training camp, and all rookies are "up and down".

I don't "get" what the big concern is.

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

Bolded it for you.  Basically, you will never find a Rodak article about the Bills where the positives outweigh the negatives.  He's biased, moreso now after looking like a chump for his "over before it started" prophecy.  In this case, I was shocked to see an equal mix of pro and con, rare for him.

Ok fair enough we are arguing semantics then at this point. I don’t see that bolded quote as backhanded but I can see it being interpreted that way. Like I said I don’t like Rodak especially either but there has been so much grave dancing recently with the Buffalo News stuff that I think everyone needs to chill a bit. It’s not cool when people lose their jobs simply because you don’t like their opinion.

I f****d with Sully all the time on twitter, for example. Most of my friends have been blocked by Harrington for similar antics. No one actively lobbied for anyone to be fired however. I don’t want a cadre of beat writers and columnists just reinforcing my opinion all the time, especially if I had (which I don’t) homer tendencies. i would rather have professionals do their jobs and challenge my opinions on our teams.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe Mayfield has also been taking snaps with the 3rd string, although that was not captured in the OP article....
" Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns haven’t made Mayfield available for interviews during their two open OTAs, and he’s still working with the third string, behind Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton. "

Depth charts are pretty well known to not be very meaningful until well into training camp, and all rookies are "up and down".

I don't "get" what the big concern is.

Wrong again, he has been working with all three units. And you can't compare just because you say you can. It is your opinion, nothing else. Going with the threes all the time will never let you compare them fairly one way or another. If the Bills other two qbs never run with the threes then you don't know if they would look better or worse than Allen. Until then your point is mute.

And I was replying to everything above. Not pointed at one individual. I initially read it as one thread and posted, realizing it after I posted. So hopefully no one gets their titties twisted over it like so many do on this board. Not enough facts on here, too many people reading way too much into most everything.  And then I get drawn into it and start acting like some of the other posters on here that have no life. I would rather go back to posting things I believe are pertinent. I made a mistake and started this thread, baptism by fire I guess. I forgot how many on here want to dissect the living crap out of everything and anything on here. Too many hostile people who don't have a life want to suck the life out of new blood on here, talking Allen on here. Kind of odd no one goes after McCarron on here. I suppose once they get tired of Allen they will.

Edited by BB@Shooter
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Wrong again, he has been working with all three units. And you can't compare just because you say you can. It is your opinion, nothing else. Going with the threes all the time will never let you compare them fairly one way or another. If the Bills other two qbs never run with the threes then you don't know if they would look better or worse than Allen. Until then your point is mute.

And I was replying to everything above. Not pointed at one individual. I initially read it as one thread and posted, realizing it after I posted. So hopefully no one gets their titties twisted over it like so many do on this board. Not enough facts on here, too many people reading way too much into most everything.  And then I get drawn into it and start acting like some of the other posters on here that have no life. I would rather go back to posting things I believe are pertinent. I made a mistake and started this thread, baptism by fire I guess. I forgot how many on here want to dissect the living crap out of everything and anything on here. Too many hostile people who don't have a life want to suck the life out of new blood on here, talking Allen on here. Kind of odd no one goes after McCarron on here. I suppose once they get tired of Allen they will.

Lol give up the crusade man jesus.

the point is MOOT, by the way, not mute.

14 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Ok fair enough we are arguing semantics then at this point. I don’t see that bolded quote as backhanded but I can see it being interpreted that way. Like I said I don’t like Rodak especially either but there has been so much grave dancing recently with the Buffalo News stuff that I think everyone needs to chill a bit. It’s not cool when people lose their jobs simply because you don’t like their opinion.

I f****d with Sully all the time on twitter, for example. Most of my friends have been blocked by Harrington for similar antics. No one actively lobbied for anyone to be fired however. I don’t want a cadre of beat writers and columnists just reinforcing my opinion all the time, especially if I had (which I don’t) homer tendencies. i would rather have professionals do their jobs and challenge my opinions on our teams.

Never said I wanted him to lose his job.  We're talking about people making a living here.  However, I simply maintain that the man is extremely biased, and what he says has to be taken with a grain of salt, that's all.  I don't just want good news, or people pandering to me.  The truth though, is that in Rodak's articles on the Bills, there is always as much negative, if not more, then positive.  It's more then a trend, it's a constant.  I quickly learned to take absolutely nothing he says at face value as a result.  Then when he stupidly went out and said the Bills' season was over before it started last year...not presented as an opinion, no "I think..." or "It looks like..." ...nope, the season was most definitely over, any respect I had for him or anything he wrote, went out the window.  I remember telling myself, "Man, I really hope the Bills make the playoffs this season so I can use this to smack that smirk off your face!"...and lucky me, exactly that happened.  The Bills made him eat his words and look like an absolute tool.  I giggle more then I should every time I think about it.

If the man wrote a few positive articles, I wouldn't mind the negatives.  But let's be honest, at this point the Bills could go 19-0, win the Super Bowl 52-0, and Rodak would still criticize the Bills for something asinine like putting the second string in too early, or not early enough.  It's just who he is...and my point remains, you need to keep that in mind when reading his articles.  I said nothing about the man losing his job.  Not sure where you got that from.

Just now, The Red King said:

Never said I wanted him to lose his job.  We're talking about people making a living here.  However, I simply maintain that the man is extremely biased, and what he says has to be taken with a grain of salt, that's all.  I don't just want good news, or people pandering to me.  The truth though, is that in Rodak's articles on the Bills, there is always as much negative, if not more, then positive.  It's more then a trend, it's a constant.  I quickly learned to take absolutely nothing he says at face value as a result.  Then when he stupidly went out and said the Bills' season was over before it started last year...not presented as an opinion, no "I think..." or "It looks like..." ...nope, the season was most definitely over, any respect I had for him or anything he wrote, went out the window.  I remember telling myself, "Man, I really hope the Bills make the playoffs this season so I can use this to smack that smirk off your face!"...and lucky me, exactly that happened.  The Bills made him eat his words and look like an absolute tool.  I giggle more then I should every time I think about it.

If the man wrote a few positive articles, I wouldn't mind the negatives.  But let's be honest, at this point the Bills could go 19-0, win the Super Bowl 52-0, and Rodak would still criticize the Bills for something asinine like putting the second string in too early, or not early enough.  It's just who he is...and my point remains, you need to keep that in mind when reading his articles.  I said nothing about the man losing his job.  Not sure where you got that from.

I can get all that for sure. Like I said I am not a fan of Rodak being the ESPN beat for the Bills by any stretch. 

I’m conflating things because there’s been so much other trash about the Sully/Bucky buyouts, along with other people (not you) in this thread talking about ousting this guy too. Not ideal that a known Pats fan is the beat for the Bills though for sure. It’s always going to skew and undermine any criticism he ever writes about the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Lol give up the crusade man jesus.

the point is MOOT, by the way, not mute.

Mute is exactly what I put in there on purpose Joker. Get a life dude. Did that hit a little too close to home for you? Nice try on trying to be an English major. A role losers have to fulfill when they can't come up with better. Anyone who reads your posts can see how negative you are in 90% of them. Again, get a life.

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I can get all that for sure. Like I said I am not a fan of Rodak being the ESPN beat for the Bills by any stretch. 

I’m conflating things because there’s been so much other trash about the Sully/Bucky buyouts, along with other people (not you) in this thread talking about ousting this guy too. Not ideal that a known Pats fan is the beat for the Bills though for sure. It’s always going to skew and undermine any criticism he ever writes about the Bills.

You sure do turn tail quickly. A lovely trait by the way. Toodles, and don't stay up all night on here, we want you to be fresh and ready when the Bills call you up to coach the qbs. Lmfao.

9 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Mute is exactly what I put in there on purpose Joker. Get a life dude. Did that hit a little too close to home for you? Nice try on trying to be an English major. A role losers have to fulfill when they can't come up with better. Anyone who reads your posts can see how negative you are in 90% of them. Again, get a life.

You sure do turn tail quickly. A lovely trait by the way. Toodles, and don't stay up all night on here, we want you to be fresh and ready when the Bills call you up to coach the qbs. Lmfao.

Lol you sure put me in my place there dummy. 

But tell us, why did you use mute “on purpose” instead of moot?