The media vs Josh Allen (QB First Impressions article)

15 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Puzzling?  Let the prospect prove himself or not.  I have seen a lot of the media down on the guy would has yet to have a chance to play.  And he is not the first guy not the starter the day after the draft.  

We have no clue who McDermott liked best 2 guys were already off the board.  Maybe he liked them better?

Rosen score 10 points less on the test than Allen.  Not to mention the 2 concussions he had last year, that could raise a concern.   

I think if they wanted Mayfield, they would have offered more to the Giants before the draft, on the assumption Cleveland takes Darnold.

And if they wanted Darnold, they would have offered more to the Giants during the draft as Cleveland took Mayfield.

So could be wrong but I think Allen was the guy.

Agree the 2 concussions could have been a concern of Rosen.  Also the concussion McDermott would have given him with a wicked backhand.  ?

BTW Im OK if Allen doesn't play a down this year.  Let him develop.  I trust the process!

3 hours ago, artmalibu said:

The only thing we do know is the bills liked Allen better than Rosen or anyone else.  Cant say I blame them.  Anyone who wants to throw shade on Allen should watch his senior bowl performance.  I didnt see him making many bad passes.  

As far as him with the 3rd team that is smart, why rush his development?  Why put unneeded pressure on him? He was not drafted to be the shot term answer.  They should make sure he is only in position to succeed.  The Offence is a work in progress with new systems being installed with at least 2 new starting on the O linemen and a WR core that is not solidified. 

At this point the only thing we really know about Allen is he has off the charts measurables, arm strength, and good athleticism.  Paired with high intelligence, strong work ethics  and does not quit when thing arnt going his way.  

As far as his accuracy problems that all seemed to be linked to his college completion percentage of 56.2% think about this:

Jim Kelly 55.6%

Dan Marino 57.6%

Brett Favre 52.4%

And these three guys are in the Hall of Fame

Brett Favre started 0 games his rookie year

Jim kelly developed by stared his first 3 years in a second rate start up league prior to going to the NFL

Dan Marino did not start till week 6 of his rookie year after being a backup to a no name starter.  

BTW I agree with everything you say after that first line ...

26 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Puzzling?  Let the prospect prove himself or not.  I have seen a lot of the media down on the guy would has yet to have a chance to play.  And he is not the first guy not the starter the day after the draft.  

We have no clue who McDermott liked best 2 guys were already off the board.  Maybe he liked them better?

Rosen score 10 points less on the test than Allen.  Not to mention the 2 concussions he had last year, that could raise a concern.   

Puzzling because the media isn't on his ass or shooting off their mouths based on OTA performances.  They are simply reporting on what they have seen without prejudice based on the same things being written about him from eyewitnesses that have been consistent.  Not a big deal at this stage of the proceedings.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I think if they wanted Mayfield, they would have offered more to the Giants before the draft, on the assumption Cleveland takes Darnold.

And if they wanted Darnold, they would have offered more to the Giants during the draft as Cleveland took Mayfield.

So could be wrong but I think Allen was the guy.

Agree the 2 concussions could have been a concern of Rosen.  Also the concussion McDermott would have given him with a wicked backhand.  ?

BTW Im OK if Allen doesn't play a down this year.  Let him develop.  I trust the process!

BTW I agree with everything you say after that first line ...

You know that Allen was their first choice?  what is your source? 

Rodak, podak, modak, blowdat.  Josh will be throwing dartaks at targets that will show the world that we were smartaks for taking him before Rosenaks.  However, Rodak might have it right, and we'll have to go with Petermaniac.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Yep. Many of the national media types come from places like NYC, Boston, LA.  They see Buff as a backwards town of urban rednecks.  They will never like us and I don't care.

Channeling your inner Kelce there.....I see what you did there.....That was the MOST EPIC rant by a Super Bowl Winnah ever......

13 hours ago, SoTier said:

The last time I looked, the media doesn't determine whether any athlete succeeds or fails.  Allen will succeed or fail based on how he does on the field, not on what the media says about his play.  

Are you sure? They (some media and some fans) seem pretty certain. I don’t think the games really matter.   ?

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I hate Rodak, but he hasn't said a single thing that has come across as unfair about Allen.

There are a LOT of problems with Allen's game right now, and we all knew this going into the draft. To pretend like it's the media's fault for not glossing over that is ridiculous. He's got great tools, but he's not a great player yet....wasn't even a great college player.

To expect him to be covered as such, or have his flaws sugar coated for Bills fans to get all warm & fuzzy about is just pointless. Wait until he actually becomes a decent NFL player before expecting favorable coverage.

Can we also expect that same criteria to apply to to the other 1st round qbs?

18 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

Why is it the media has a love /hate relationship with Josh Allen? I just got done reading an ESPN article on how all the quarterbacks drafted this year are doing. ESPN used Rodak and his insight on how Allen is doing. It was by far one of the more negative pieces done for the article. Mayfield and Darnold ended up sounding like they were having less struggles than Allen was even though more negative reports have been coming out of their camps. They had their home town media covering for them towards the end of the article .

The Rodak did Allen no favors in my opinion other than commenting on his athleticism, arm, and running ability. I really don't think he is in Allens corner when it comes to his consistency with his passes. He nitpicks in most of his reporting about Allens miscues. Trying to convince his readers Allen is much worse than any of the Big 5 quarterbacks drafted. After taking in all of what the different Bills "media" are writing, I feel there is a misconception and agenda going on. I think a lot of the so called media are lazy and don't even attempt to do research for themselves. They repeat whatever they think will help get fans to log onto their tweets or articles, so that in some way it is justifying that they are actual media. Which in a lot of cases I feel it is a longshot.

And then the fans get put into the position of arguing for , or against Allen. It is like the media gets a perverse feeling out of splitting the fanbase. Even though it can't be healthy for the organization. Sorry about the long post.

It isn't the media.

It's that other guys seem to be struggling less. It's OTAs, it's early, it doesn't mean much ... but yeah he seems to be struggling a bit more.

Which is what expectations were in the first place.

It's not Rodak's responsibility to be in anyone's corner. They're supposed to strive for neutrality and even-handedness (an impossible goal but you can get pretty close). But Rodak's coverage is about in line with the rest. I'm no big Rodak fan, but he's OK. You'd expect Allen's teammates to be in his corner, and they do seem to be supportive of all three QBs. They've got their backs, which is as it should be.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Puzzling because the media isn't on his ass or shooting off their mouths based on OTA performances.  They are simply reporting on what they have seen without prejudice based on the same things being written about him from eyewitnesses that have been consistent.  Not a big deal at this stage of the proceedings.

Are you frigging serious? You are already spouting off things saying Allen has all these different problems to fix. Are you going off of jr. high, high school, Jr college, his two years at Wyoming, his Senior Bowl, his combine, his rookie camp, or the OTA's?  What I don't get is why isn't he being judged by what he has done in rookie camp and OTA's, why do you bring up before that?  Maybe because then you couldn't dig up enough dirt to cause a stir on here?

They are practicing in shorts for beginners. He is playing with the 3rd string by design, so you can't compare him to anyone else. There is not a big enough sample size to go off of. Why not save your agenda until they are all going live in pads with the offense put in? You come on here throwing crap against the wall to see who will buy it. You didn't want them to draft Allen but it is too bad, sh#t happens. So sit back, grind your teeth some more and pray Allen gets hurt I guess. He will be starting before the season is up. Barring injury I guarantee it. And like I said, judge him by how he competes as a Bill. At this point he has done just fine as far as I am concerned. If the people you listen to say different, I would quit listening to them or you will get a rude awakening when he is running with the first team. So start getting used to Allen being the man.

The title makes me think of those bad subtitled Japanese movies. (My mind works in strange ways.)  Given our media, and our great big shiny new QB, I’d call it Snoopy vs Godzilla. Who are you putting your money on in that cage match? 

18 hours ago, billsgpr88 said:

rodak is a pats fan, and a very sophisticated troll imo. I've never read a writer with a bias as consistently negative as rodak. It's as if he gets off on it, quite pathetic really

Yeah he's Jerry Sullivan 2.0

Sadly, these hack writers are more clicked on fir their negative stuff than the good journalists.  A guy like Sal Capaccio who is a far better writer and team analyst probably gets half the clicks of the negative writers.  

Who gives a **** what the media says? He's going to do whatever he's going to do, regardless of predictions. It's not like prognostications are going to affect the outcome.

Look at it this way: If he's good you won't care that some critics bet against him, and if he sucks they'll be right, so there's no reason to worry about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately picking a QB (every team needs and wants a franchise QB).  Is like battleship at the outset.

E6?

miss.

The second coming of ...

EJ. JP. ? Both first round picks. MISS.

So the 2018 draft.  Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, etc

the odds are maybe one of those is a hit.  Probably Rosen based on his accuracy and technique

think about who in the NFL and who is a legit franchise QB??

(don’t split hairs...who is decent...I.e.  better than Tyrod...)

Ben R.  2004 round 1

Russell W. 2012 round 3

Drew B 2001 round 2

Cam N  2011 round 1

Tom B 1868 round 17

Aaron R 2005 round 1

Phillip R 2004 round 1

Carson W.2016 round1

Matt R. 2008 round 1

(not too many in the same year...)

(OK some of us will like Goff...etc.)

but how would you like Jacoby Brisset or Jay Cutler?

the draft...

it is so infrequent and unlikely that in one year Kelly Marino Elway ... Not gonna happen!

odds are most of the QBs this year are a bust...

Josh Allen...Jamarcus2.0 or Ryan Leaf???  The reality is ...he probably will not pan out!  SORRY fans!

media or no media.  This is because most of them... bust.  Every year first round picks are not the second coming of Montana.  It just doesn’t happen.  Maybe 1 per year...but really though it’s like one decent QB every other year or every third year among the many drafted...

It’s not the media.  It is just how it is...

Edited by LHS78Billsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

Are you frigging serious? You are already spouting off things saying Allen has all these different problems to fix. Are you going off of jr. high, high school, Jr college, his two years at Wyoming, his Senior Bowl, his combine, his rookie camp, or the OTA's?  What I don't get is why isn't he being judged by what he has done in rookie camp and OTA's, why do you bring up before that?  Maybe because then you couldn't dig up enough dirt to cause a stir on here?

They are practicing in shorts for beginners. He is playing with the 3rd string by design, so you can't compare him to anyone else. There is not a big enough sample size to go off of. Why not save your agenda until they are all going live in pads with the offense put in? You come on here throwing crap against the wall to see who will buy it. You didn't want them to draft Allen but it is too bad, sh#t happens. So sit back, grind your teeth some more and pray Allen gets hurt I guess. He will be starting before the season is up. Barring injury I guarantee it. And like I said, judge him by how he competes as a Bill. At this point he has done just fine as far as I am concerned. If the people you listen to say different, I would quit listening to them or you will get a rude awakening when he is running with the first team. So start getting used to Allen being the man.

:blink:

18 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

For those hung up on college QB completion %, here's the names and completion rate of the top 250 since 1956.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

The amount of all time NFL QB greats not on the list is amazing.

The change in schemes has been covered here many times. You can't compare the different eras and prove anything. The only thing we know is that in this era, QBs don't outperform their college accuracy.