The media vs Josh Allen (QB First Impressions article)

3 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

If this is the ESPN article referenced, this doesn’t strike me as anymore anti-Allen than any of his other fellow 1st-round QB’s. Rosen’s is by far the most glowing and tne

others’ more mixed, with Allen’s arguably implying a tiny bit more optimism than them:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23659740/rookie-quarterback-progress-reports-first-impressions-13-qbs-drafted-2018

Nothing at all different than what we have read from other sources who have been at the open OTA sessions in the past two weeks. 

Josh AllenBuffalo Bills

Round 1, No. 7 overall
Allen has practiced exclusively with the third team through the first two weeks of OTAs, behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman on the depth chart. It has been a mixed bag so far for Allen, who was inaccurate on his first pass and later telegraphed an interception to cornerback Breon Borders during the two-minute drill in Thursday's practice. Coaches gave Allen another shot at the drill, and he marched downfield and lofted an accurate fade pattern to wide receiver Cam Phillips for a touchdown. Allen's off-the-charts arm strength has been evident in the velocity of the passes he has thrown; the accuracy seems to be a work in progress. -- Mike Rodak

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1. He tossed many colleagues under the bus

2. While he was likely answering a question that went on too long. Me thinketh he doth protesteth too mucheth.

3. He's a baby faced whiner.

Edited by Cripple Creek

Always thought it was comical that some fans in every sport think that their team is getting screwed by the refs, the league, and the journalists.

Allen has always had accuracy issues. The coaches might be able to fix it, but QBs rarely become magically more accurate as the competition gets better.

• Like (+1) 2

I am a homer, Allen is great...case closed. Don't argue with a homer

Look guys, the media has been low on Buffalo since they entered the NFL after the merge

Even Jim Kelly got some negative press during the Superbowl years

You will be fine unless you believe the media will help plug your boy, won't happen unless he wins ROY.

Even then, it won't be the same as how the media would plug Sam Darnold...its NYC

THIS IS WHY I AM A HOMER, screw em

Edited by THE SLAMMER
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nothing at all different than what we have read from other sources who have been at the open OTA sessions in the past two weeks. 

Josh AllenBuffalo Bills

Round 1, No. 7 overall
Allen has practiced exclusively with the third team through the first two weeks of OTAs, behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman on the depth chart. It has been a mixed bag so far for Allen, who was inaccurate on his first pass and later telegraphed an interception to cornerback Breon Borders during the two-minute drill in Thursday's practice. Coaches gave Allen another shot at the drill, and he marched downfield and lofted an accurate fade pattern to wide receiver Cam Phillips for a touchdown. Allen's off-the-charts arm strength has been evident in the velocity of the passes he has thrown; the accuracy seems to be a work in progress. -- Mike Rodak

this isn't very negative really, basically says he has great arm strength but needs to work on accuracy.  Things we already knew.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I am a homer, Allen is great...case closed. Don't argue with a homer

Look guys, the media has been low on Buffalo since they entered the NFL after the merge

Even Jim Kelly got some negative press during the Superbowl years

You will be fine unless you believe the media will help plug your boy, won't happen unless he wins ROY.

Even then, it won't be the same as how the media would plug Sam Darnold...its NYC

THIS IS WHY I AM A HOMER, screw em

Yep. Many of the national media types come from places like NYC, Boston, LA.  They see Buff as a backwards town of urban rednecks.  They will never like us and I don't care.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Yep. Many of the national media types come from places like NYC, Boston, LA.  They see Buff as a backwards town of urban rednecks.  They will never like us and I don't care.

After 50 years as a fan, I love the negativity and outrageous opinions from the media. I have come to expect this.

I need to find that Tre White article by Pete Prisco claiming he will struggle in the Pros, it's one of my favorites

Trading Stephon  Gilmore makes Buffalo the worst team in the NFL last year...yikes

Edited by THE SLAMMER
  • Like (+1) 3

From what I saw all of the paragraphs were written by the local ESPN reporter who covers the team, so Rodak is as "local" as the rest of them are.

So are you saying it's fake news, he didn't throw the interception?  Or that you who I'd assume unless you're actually Sean McDermott posting didn't actually see him at all somehow knows better.

You don't take criticism well do you, even when against something as remotely related as the team you're rooting for.  Starting a thread because you don't like what someone wrote about your favorite team is pretty laughable.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

Why is it the media has a love /hate relationship with Josh Allen? I just got done reading an ESPN article on how all the quarterbacks drafted this year are doing. ESPN used Rodak and his insight on how Allen is doing. It was by far one of the more negative pieces done for the article. Mayfield and Darnold ended up sounding like they were having less struggles than Allen was even though more negative reports have been coming out of their camps. They had their home town media covering for them towards the end of the article .

The Rodak did Allen no favors in my opinion other than commenting on his athleticism, arm, and running ability. I really don't think he is in Allens corner when it comes to his consistency with his passes. He nitpicks in most of his reporting about Allens miscues. Trying to convince his readers Allen is much worse than any of the Big 5 quarterbacks drafted. After taking in all of what the different Bills "media" are writing, I feel there is a misconception and agenda going on. I think a lot of the so called media are lazy and don't even attempt to do research for themselves. They repeat whatever they think will help get fans to log onto their tweets or articles, so that in some way it is justifying that they are actual media. Which in a lot of cases I feel it is a longshot.

And then the fans get put into the position of arguing for , or against Allen. It is like the media gets a perverse feeling out of splitting the fanbase. Even though it can't be healthy for the organization. Sorry about the long post.

1) It's the offseason

2) Gotta make your prediction look good.

3) What prediction?

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

From what I saw all of the paragraphs were written by the local ESPN reporter who covers the team, so Rodak is as "local" as the rest of them are.

So are you saying it's fake news, he didn't throw the interception?  Or that you who I'd assume unless you're actually Sean McDermott posting didn't actually see him at all somehow knows better.

You don't take criticism well do you, even when against something as remotely related as the team you're rooting for.

Why is Allen throwing an interception in OTA's even a thing?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I am having a hard time getting used to the media being down on a team as much as the ones who cover the Buffalo Bills. Franchises who have some pride in their organization would start freezing these negative people out in other teams I follow. Maybe you guys are used to it over so much time, I don't really have the answer. But then again there is a lot of negativity on this board anyway. I expect some from trolls and people who lean towards that type of demeanor anyway. But it seems like way more negativity than most boards I have been on. It is pretty easy to spot the negative posters on this board, they don't even try and disguise it. All I can guess is losing does take it's toll on a fanbase. I hope I never get that negative about a team I said I was a fan of.

2 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I am having a hard time getting used to the media being down on a team as much as the ones who cover the Buffalo Bills. Franchises who have some pride in their organization would start freezing these negative people out in other teams I follow. Maybe you guys are used to it over so much time, I don't really have the answer. But then again there is a lot of negativity on this board anyway. I expect some from trolls and people who lean towards that type of demeanor anyway. But it seems like way more negativity than most boards I have been on. It is pretty easy to spot the negative posters on this board, they don't even try and disguise it. All I can guess is losing does take it's toll on a fanbase. I hope I never get that negative about a team I said I was a fan of.

we lost our right to be outraged by having the longest playoff drought in the NFL.  When we start winning playoff games again we can be outraged by negative publicity.

BTW I think we start wining playoff games soon.

27 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You don't take criticism well do you, even when against something as remotely related as the team you're rooting for.  Starting a thread because you don't like what someone wrote about your favorite team is pretty laughable.

OP is a Josh Allen fan who saw many of his games at Wyoming. He is rooting for the Bills because of Josh Allen. His POV is certainly not based on deep attachment to Buffalo. 

Just now, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

we lost our right to be outraged by having the longest playoff drought in the NFL.  When we start winning playoff games again we can be outraged by negative publicity.

BTW I think we start wining playoff games soon.

I don't feel it is the fans fault for losing respect for their team, but when you get new owners and management in I feel they deserve a chance. I understand why it would be hard. I have been watching some of the most negative posters on here and they mostly just come on here to argue about anything and everything.  Some actually have a point from time to time, but far and few between.

I am definitely an Allen fan and have tried to reasonably show why I feel he will be better than average. And now I see why a lot of the negative posters try and find anything to further their agenda. The article I mentioned was one of the milder ones out there. But I think the Buffalo media doesn't mention inaccuracy in a post, that they will lose half their audience. I don't see where Allen has been any worse than any of the other top 5 taken. But reading the different takes you would think he throws half of his passes in the dirt. There are a lot of people going to be eating crow when Allen gets done. And I am not talking about the pro Allen crowd. And it will take a few more years to finish the rebuild, but I feel the Bills staff is doing it correctly by putting out a good defense first. It just hardly ever works by trying to build the offense and defense equally at the same time. So whoever quarterbacks the Bills this year is going to struggle regardless.

14 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I don't feel it is the fans fault for losing respect for their team, but when you get new owners and management in I feel they deserve a chance. I understand why it would be hard. I have been watching some of the most negative posters on here and they mostly just come on here to argue about anything and everything.  Some actually have a point from time to time, but far and few between.

I am definitely an Allen fan and have tried to reasonably show why I feel he will be better than average. And now I see why a lot of the negative posters try and find anything to further their agenda. The article I mentioned was one of the milder ones out there. But I think the Buffalo media doesn't mention inaccuracy in a post, that they will lose half their audience. I don't see where Allen has been any worse than any of the other top 5 taken. But reading the different takes you would think he throws half of his passes in the dirt. There are a lot of people going to be eating crow when Allen gets done. And I am not talking about the pro Allen crowd. And it will take a few more years to finish the rebuild, but I feel the Bills staff is doing it correctly by putting out a good defense first. It just hardly ever works by trying to build the offense and defense equally at the same time. So whoever quarterbacks the Bills this year is going to struggle regardless.

I read the article on ESPN before I ever saw your post, just went back and read it again to see was I missing something.  My initial reaction before I ever saw your post was, boy if I were Cleveland I'd be worried about Mayfield big time.  I didn't see anything wrong with what was written that it had  a negative slant.  He was inaccurate on his first pass then threw a bad Int, then marched the team down the field and threw a nice fade pass for a TD.  And you feels that's overly negative.  WOW!!   Think you need help!

Have you been to all the OTA's?  How do you know he hasn't thrown half his passes into the dirt?  I'm not in any way against Allen, hope he does great and don't in any way knock the Bills for drafting him, infact of everyone they could have picked, the only one I may have picked ahead of him was Darnold.  But if an article likes this makes you this defensive of the guy, think you need a new hobby.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I read the article on ESPN before I ever saw your post, just went back and read it again to see was I missing something.  My initial reaction before I ever saw your post was, boy if I were Cleveland I'd be worried about Mayfield big time.  I didn't see anything wrong with what was written that it had  a negative slant.  He was inaccurate on his first pass then threw a bad Int, then marched the team down the field and threw a nice fade pass for a TD.  And you feels that's overly negative.  WOW!!   Think you need help!

Have you been to all the OTA's?  How do you know he hasn't thrown half his passes into the dirt?  I'm not in any way against Allen, hope he does great and don't in any way knock the Bills for drafting him, infact of everyone they could have picked, the only one I may have picked ahead of him was Darnold.  But if an article likes this makes you this defensive of the guy, think you need a new hobby.

I probably used a poor example , but all the stories of his inaccuracy has been building up. Saying I need help is a stretch, maybe you should join the media in Buffalo.? One more poster overreacting.   And I know he doesn't throw half of his passes in the dirt or the media would say it was every pass in the dirt but one. Plus I read everything that gets pUT out there and they have been giving his completion numbers in some of the articles. Try and find many articles where the media doesn't bring up inaccuracies.  Especially if the article is more than a short tweet or blurb.

7 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

Why is it the media has a love /hate relationship with Josh Allen? I just got done reading an ESPN article on how all the quarterbacks drafted this year are doing. ESPN used Rodak and his insight on how Allen is doing. It was by far one of the more negative pieces done for the article. Mayfield and Darnold ended up sounding like they were having less struggles than Allen was even though more negative reports have been coming out of their camps. They had their home town media covering for them towards the end of the article .

The Rodak did Allen no favors in my opinion other than commenting on his athleticism, arm, and running ability. I really don't think he is in Allens corner when it comes to his consistency with his passes. He nitpicks in most of his reporting about Allens miscues. Trying to convince his readers Allen is much worse than any of the Big 5 quarterbacks drafted. After taking in all of what the different Bills "media" are writing, I feel there is a misconception and agenda going on. I think a lot of the so called media are lazy and don't even attempt to do research for themselves. They repeat whatever they think will help get fans to log onto their tweets or articles, so that in some way it is justifying that they are actual media. Which in a lot of cases I feel it is a longshot.

And then the fans get put into the position of arguing for , or against Allen. It is like the media gets a perverse feeling out of splitting the fanbase. Even though it can't be healthy for the organization. Sorry about the long post.

Are you under the impression that the media is supposed to adopt a cheerleader role when it comes to reporting on athletes and/or teams?  

That's what fans do, not the media.

I ask because it is obvious that many at this board seem to think this way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Are you under the impression that the media is supposed to adopt a cheerleader role when it comes to reporting on athletes and/or teams?  

That's what fans do, not the media.

I ask because it is obvious that many at this board seem to think this way.

Excellent points.  One observation on my part regarding the situation is that it seems there are so many more digital voices yapping away, holding out their 'expert' opinions that fans, and the public in general, tend to tire of them.  When it's early June OTAs driving the media buzz, even more reason to roll one's eyes and mutter about overexposure.