NFL Sunday Ticket

On 9/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, BuffaloButt said:

I just tried loyalty again today to get ST but they said I already got $60 discount and there is nothing else available for my account.  I asked for their supervisor had to wait, he said best he can give me is 25% off standard ST or Max at the standard price.  I told him I knew others getting it for free but he said there is nothing available for my account.  I'm going to call back later and tell them to cancel my account.  I spent a total of 1:15 mins on hold and talking to them.  I'm pretty angry now!!

You got $60 off your account....it's basically free.....Max is $65.99 a month

Just made my annual call. Got a good deal, but there was a different twist. I've got DTV, internet, and home phone all through AT&T. In June the phone bill jumped up 20 bucks a month when a promo rate cycled off.  I called to cancel it and they said they couldn't do anything about the phone rate, but they gave me $40/month off the TV bill. Ok, fine..., but I wondered if that would hurt me when it came time to haggle about the ticket.

Called today to say I didn't want to pay full price for Sunday Ticket. First offer was adding MAX for free, I said we need to do better. Next offer, 12.25/mo discount on the ST. OK, but we still need to do better. Came back saying they can't do any more with my TV bill, but they can take $50/month off my internet and phone for 12 months. They kept the Max for free and the 12.25 off a month. So, I'm paying $220 for the ticket and getting a $600 credit.

Crazy how they're moving the discounts around like a shell game, but I won't complain. Sounds to me like they have bottom line targets for the entire bill. Pleasant, 10 minute conversation, all I said was I'm a 20-year customer and my team is terrible this year (both true). We've got a new internet provider in the neighborhood, and I didn't even have to play that card.

For the last few years I've always made the call on a Friday -- I have no idea if there's any basis in reality for this, but I always figure the reps must be in better moods on a Friday.

3 hours ago, texasjute said:

I've got DTV, internet, and home phone all through AT&T.

That's the key to the discounts and free items.  I'm too invested in Verizon/FIOS to go AT&T.   I keep getting the $100/off for ST Max as their very best offer.

• 3 weeks later...

NFL Could Soon Pull Plug on DirecTV Deal

Most of the NFL’s TV deals run through 2022. The NFL has the ability to exit one of those deals prematurely.

The league has the power to pull the plug on the Sunday Ticket arrangement with DirecTV. If exercised, the contract would expire after the 2019 regular season.

Despite some speculation and scuttlebutt of a looming announcement that the league will exit the DirecTV deal early, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the decision isn’t final, and that the league ultimately may decide to stick with the current deal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

NFL Could Soon Pull Plug on DirecTV Deal

Most of the NFL’s TV deals run through 2022. The NFL has the ability to exit one of those deals prematurely.

The league has the power to pull the plug on the Sunday Ticket arrangement with DirecTV. If exercised, the contract would expire after the 2019 regular season.

Despite some speculation and scuttlebutt of a looming announcement that the league will exit the DirecTV deal early, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the decision isn’t final, and that the league ultimately may decide to stick with the current deal.

I know this is from last month, but I just don't see the NFL passing up $1.5 billion per year from AT&T.  AT&T uses it as a loss leader to keep customers in their ecosystem, any other bidder would likely have to do the same.  Amazon's Prime retention rate is super-high, even at $119, so I just don't see them as needing the NFL.  Any other tech company (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc) would have to use targeted advertising or data mining to make up the difference between subscriber fees and the rights fees, and that's largely not an option since CBS and FOX still get to air their ads during the games.

Hulu might be an interesting option.  Comcast/NBC, Disney, and FOX (all NFL broadcast partners) own 33% stakes in the company, and they have the infrastructure to stream.  They have been pushing their Live TV product and could use Sunday Ticket as a way to increase prices and make that product profitable.

Direct to consumer is an option, as the other three leagues do this with their streaming packages, but again, there's no way the NFL makes $1.5B annually in subscriber fees from end user subscriptions.

Although I'd love to see a more competent company take over for AT&T, I just don't see it happening with the current contract.