NFL Sunday Ticket

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Fadingpain said:

Anyone know when the current Direct TV agreement with the NFL expires?

I find it absolutely hilarious that, in 2018, the NFL will NOT take the money I would otherwise gladly pay them each year for a Sunday Ticket TV package on Comcast cable.

too long.

the big question is why does the NFL not let Direct TV offer it for subscription through local cable providers and then NFL could charge appropriately depending on how many subscriptions Direct TV gets. Could be partnership and NFL gets a %.

I know Direct TV is thinking this may reduce Direct TV subscriptions of people who mainly get it just so they can get Sunday Ticket but they are missing out on a lot of subscribers who will not get Direct TV and so work around the problem by streaming for FREE.

Question would be how to price it. Say if Direct TV subscribers pay 250 what would non Direct TV subscribers pay via cable systems? 300? or do cable systems give a kickback as their cable subscription just increased in value now with Sunday Ticket available and they charge closer to Direct TV cost?

You can get Sun Ticket in Canada on cable why not US?

Edited by cba fan

14 minutes ago, cba fan said:

You can get Sun Ticket in Canada on cable why not US?

I've said this many times, that the reason ST distribution is "limited" by only going through DTV is because of the beer barons.  We all know how much beer is in bed with the NFL, well, the bars, beer's big clients, have hounded the beer barons to lobby the NFL AGAINST easy distribution of ST because the bars' Sunday profits will suffer significantly.  The beer barons have made this known to the NFL and ST, hence, has "limited" distribution on DTV.

The big issue now is streaming and DTV has repeatedly said they will not stream ST; they fear their traditional satellite product will quickly dry up...but the day is coming where streaming will be the norm.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I've said this many times, that the reason ST distribution is "limited" by only going through DTV is because of the beer barons.  We all know how much beer is in bed with the NFL, well, the bars, beer's big clients, have hounded the beer barons to lobby the NFL AGAINST easy distribution of ST because the bars' Sunday profits will suffer significantly.  The beer barons have made this known to the NFL and ST, hence, has "limited" distribution on DTV.

The big issue now is streaming and DTV has repeatedly said they will not stream ST; they fear their traditional satellite product will quickly dry up...but the day is coming where streaming will be the norm.

Yeah, full standalone, unconditional streaming is definitely coming. Just have to be patient. Many similar sorts of arguments used to get thrown around about other premium TV like HBO, etc. Streaming was going to be too disruptive to their revenue model. But now you can get standalone HBO streaming, standalone Showtime streaming, a streaming cable package equivalent through Youtube, etc. I'm sure they NFL will follow suit. They do it abroad. And they are close with their non-live GamePass offering in the U.S. now.

I've been living abroad, so I've been able to get the full ticket streaming for $200 bucks straight from the NFL. But I'm back in the U.S. this fall. No way I'm getting in bed with DTV or any other TV provider. I'm just paying my $99 bucks for GamePass and watching the games after they air. Sucks not to see them live (except when I head out to a sports bar), but not worth it to me to put in that whole insane TV infrastructure. I'll just stay away from the news for a few hours and watch the Bills on Sunday evenings. Just pretend it's a night game.

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Thanks. Good angle.

Well, those weak-sauce Canadian Beer Barons need to step up their game then...….lol

Edited by cba fan

Just made my call. I was a little leery after reading about these “ AT+T people”.

The Lady I got was nice. She asked why I was calling and I told her, “I just got my bill with the Sunday ticket and it’s close to $300. That’s too much.”

A minute later she offered $12.25/6 months off ST, $7/6 months off HBO( which I have) and 3 month free movie package.

Works for me. I wasn’t on the phone for 10 mi nutes.

I just wrapped up my annual call.  Big downgrade from last year.

Last year:

$55 off per month on service

ADDITIONAL $20 off per month (from a 2nd call)

Free NFL Ticket, Free MAX upgrade

One year contract

ME:  Thrilled!

This year:

$15 off per month on service

NFL Ticket (regular, not MAX) at 50% off

One time $50 credit

No contract

ME:  Not so happy, but at least I got something....

Not great, but they wore me down.  It took 3 calls to get this far and I ran out of time and patience.  I am actually fine with the NFL at 50% off.  They paid billions to be the exclusive provider and they have shareholders to think about, so they are entitled to make money off of their investment.  Where I am pissed off is the small monthly discount on the service.  They are charging a lot of $$$ for a service that can be had elsewhere for less.  They mark it up and should then counter that with discounts for good customers who ask.  I'm still willing to pay a fair price for their service, but for what I get, I don't think that what I will be paying is a fair price.

At least I got something for my time and I will call back in a month or two to see what else I can do.

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I just wrapped up my annual call.  Big downgrade from last year.

Last year:

$55 off per month on service

ADDITIONAL $20 off per month (from a 2nd call)

Free NFL Ticket, Free MAX upgrade

One year contract

ME:  Thrilled!

This year:

$15 off per month on service

NFL Ticket (regular, not MAX) at 50% off

One time $50 credit

No contract

ME:  Not so happy, but at least I got something....

Not great, but they wore me down.  It took 3 calls to get this far and I ran out of time and patience.  I am actually fine with the NFL at 50% off.  They paid billions to be the exclusive provider and they have shareholders to think about, so they are entitled to make money off of their investment.  Where I am pissed off is the small monthly discount on the service.  They are charging a lot of $$$ for a service that can be had elsewhere for less.  They mark it up and should then counter that with discounts for good customers who ask.  I'm still willing to pay a fair price for their service, but for what I get, I don't think that what I will be paying is a fair price.

At least I got something for my time and I will call back in a month or two to see what else I can do.

The big difference in discounts everyone is getting is interesting...some are getting a lot and some not much at all

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

The big difference in discounts everyone is getting is interesting...some are getting a lot and some not much at all

Yeah, it's really all over the place.  DTV guy was here to do the Genie upgrade from the initial version to Genie II this morning.  What I thought would be a simple swap-out took almost three hours.  He had some problems getting the 4K channels (only 4) but he stuck around and answered many of my questions on the upgrade, made sure I could connect the Genie II to wifi before he left.

I'm sorta happy with my one-year contract deal ($60/month off; free upgrade), but I'm waiting a couple of weeks to call back for a ST promotion.  The poster above who got a $100 price is the best I've seen this season...seems like it's a complete crap shoot depending on the service rep you get on the phone.  Still think it's the AT&T mobile subscribers who are getting the best deals and hold the most leverage.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 1

This year I did a little bit worse than last year. The deal they gave me was $12.25/mo off of Sunday Ticket and $45.00/mo off my bill for 12 months and 6 months free HBO. Last year I got $45.00 off per month for 12 months and half off Sunday Ticket and 6 months free Starz.

I called Friday & got absolutely zilch.  I should say though that July my contract was up so I did call in April & they gave me $40 off a month for a year & free MLB package & I had to renew for a year so I knew it would be a dog fight.  I told her to cancel ST so she did.  

I called today...at the recording I asked for customer loyalty, after a 10 minute hold I got someone overseas.  I knew it was not going to go well right then.  So I played the game, told him I had discounts that were expiring this month, $60 off a month and last year I had the Ticket for free, I wanted to know if they could match or come close to that.  After several long pauses and being told he's checking, he told me "sorry we have no offers of any kind for you".  I said "okay, can you transfer me to customer loyalty?"  He said "sure I'd be happy to do that"...I was transferred and placed on hold. 

Got connected to a very nice young woman in Texas...said the same thing to her...she asked me who my team was and I said "The Bills of course!".  She said "I think my mom likes them too!"  She then proceeded in an extended conversation about her favorite team (Eagles) and her Dad's and her husband's, etc....we had a long conversation...then she said "I have authorized a $60 discount per month for 12 months and free Sunday ticket as a loyalty reward!"  I was thrilled!  She asked if I had any other questions....I thought to myself..."why not?" so I asked about any movie channels and she said "sure...HBO free for 6 months.".  This was  better than last year!

I'm not sure why I got this and others don't....but it's just a lesson in being persistent and pleasant...

1 hour ago, Nervous Guy said:

I called today...at the recording I asked for customer loyalty, after a 10 minute hold I got someone overseas.  I knew it was not going to go well right then.  So I played the game, told him I had discounts that were expiring this month, $60 off a month and last year I had the Ticket for free, I wanted to know if they could match or come close to that.  After several long pauses and being told he's checking, he told me "sorry we have no offers of any kind for you".  I said "okay, can you transfer me to customer loyalty?"  He said "sure I'd be happy to do that"...I was transferred and placed on hold. 

Got connected to a very nice young woman in Texas...said the same thing to her...she asked me who my team was and I said "The Bills of course!".  She said "I think my mom likes them too!"  She then proceeded in an extended conversation about her favorite team (Eagles) and her Dad's and her husband's, etc....we had a long conversation...then she said "I have authorized a $60 discount per month for 12 months and free Sunday ticket as a loyalty reward!"  I was thrilled!  She asked if I had any other questions....I thought to myself..."why not?" so I asked about any movie channels and she said "sure...HBO free for 6 months.".  This was  better than last year!

I'm not sure why I got this and others don't....but it's just a lesson in being persistent and pleasant...

Excellent job....i was shut down...so i put in cancelation...will look out for retention email.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Yeah, it's really all over the place.  DTV guy was here to do the Genie upgrade from the initial version to Genie II this morning.  What I thought would be a simple swap-out took almost three hours.  He had some problems getting the 4K channels (only 4) but he stuck around and answered many of my questions on the upgrade, made sure I could connect the Genie II to wifi before he left.

I'm sorta happy with my one-year contract deal ($60/month off; free upgrade), but I'm waiting a couple of weeks to call back for a ST promotion.  The poster above who got a $100 price is the best I've seen this season...seems like it's a complete crap shoot depending on the service rep you get on the phone.  Still think it's the AT&T mobile subscribers who are getting the best deals and hold the most leverage.

Maybe that's why I got the deal I did...

I don’t watch much TV so I don’t have DirecTV.

each year I just punch in my old school email and get the streaming package for $100 total.

this year, I used the promo code “Rookie” and now 16 games of Josh Allen (and all other games and red zone) is 80 bucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know how long the contract plans for DIRECTV. All I know is they outbid them selves they went from 2 .1 billion to 3.5 billion. And when I was a DIRECTV customer for 19 years I cannot stream it on any other device other than watching on my TV because their platforms were horrible .  I now just go to Buffalo wild wings it’s five minutes from my house I watch every game on the big screen. And save a Ton of money .

1 minute ago, bills in oregon said:

I don’t know how long the contract plans for DIRECTV. All I know is they outbid them selves they went from 2 .1 billion to 3.5 billion. And when I was a DIRECTV customer for 19 years I cannot stream it on any other device other than watching on my TV because their platforms were horrible .  I now just go to Buffalo wild wings it’s five minutes from my house I watch every game on the big screen. And save a Ton of money .

yeah , but there's people there......I don't like people

• Haha (+1) 3

On 6/2/2018 at 1:26 PM, whatdrought said:

Just found out that due to my student status, I can get sunday ticket for $100 for the whole season via internet streaming.

As a out of state bills fan, this seems like a great deal, but am wondering if you guys are familiar and know it to be worth it? 

My current way of watching is to watch via an EU site that is decent, but has questionable quality and sometimes does not work. 

Thoughts?

I'm going to state right now that it's a good deal. Streaming quality is top notch as long as you have a good internet connection.

One thing to note: DO NOT give your password & login to anyone at any point ever.... Yes, this allows them to watch games, but only one person can be logged in at once. If at any point, you want to watch while someone else happens to leave that open, you will be denied access. Even if you want to force them out by changing the username & password, it will do nothing until they have manually logged out. Even contacting DirecTV will do nothing. They have no way to kick the other person off. I don't know who had my password (I think my wife gave it to someone), but I missed one of the last games of the season due to this. I even had DirecTV cancel & resign me up for Sunday Ticket hoping that would help, but to no avail. 

Still never figured out what A-hole was using my login, but I know now to never, under any circumstance, let someone else use my account.