NFL Sunday Ticket

10 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I assume you've been using PIA for a while and are familiar with it. What about it makes it better than others? I'll be signing up for a VPN soon, so general tips you might have about PIA and other VPN providers would be great...thanks! 

Sure thing.  I did a *lot* of research, and tried a couple others.  PIA had these advantages (which have been copied by most of the others in the years since)

• They don't keep logs
  • Fail Close functionality
  • tight integration with the IP stack in windows
  • cross-platform functionality with a single login
  • huge selection of VPN collectors, probably 30 countries and that many choices in the US
  • tested speeds only a couple percent slower than an open connection

Looking now, they're probably a little more expensive than some other providers, but i've been using them for years with zero trouble, and it's still pretty cheap (like $67 a year I think?).  Highly recommended in any case, and works great with the firestick

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just got off the phone with DTV.  $60 off/month with a 12 month contract.  Took ST Max off auto renewal, he had no promotions today but said to call back the weekend the season starts for ST deals, as also recommended by BillnutinHouston.  They're also going to upgrade our equipment for no additional charge.  I'm happy for now, $60/month brings me under $85/month, and I'll call the weekend of the opener to get a ST promo.  Was about a 15 minute call.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Anybody have a link to the 2018 NFL Broadcast distribution map? Just curious as to how many games I will miss if I dont get the ST this season...

That map is fluent and changes weekly.

On 6/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, whatdrought said:

Just found out that due to my student status, I can get sunday ticket for $100 for the whole season via internet streaming.

As a out of state bills fan, this seems like a great deal, but am wondering if you guys are familiar and know it to be worth it? 

My current way of watching is to watch via an EU site that is decent, but has questionable quality and sometimes does not work. 

Thoughts?

What kind of student does one need to be? I watch CNBC sometimes.  I’d be up for a pottery class... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I know but it is a good barometer to whether it is a good value for where i live. 

hey capital region buddy.  'value' is subjective, but traditionally we usually get 6-7 games a year on broadcast tv.  because the giants and jets both suck now we might get another game or two.  in any case, i'm looking for alternatives since getting DTV just for the ST is a ripoff.

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://506sports.com/nfl/index-m.php

Perfect THANK YOU!?

Maps will be posted Wednesday, September 5th. In the meantime I will save the link

9 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

hey capital region buddy.  'value' is subjective, but traditionally we usually get 6-7 games a year on broadcast tv.  because the giants and jets both suck now we might get another game or two.  in any case, i'm looking for alternatives since getting DTV just for the ST is a ripoff.

Yeah you may be right. I just find that if you take into consideration how much I will spend on food/drink @ the bar, uber,  and not being able to hear the play by play it comes out to be worth it. I usually only watch like one- two games per season @ a bar, as I will not get into trouble @ home and i can drink as much as i want and dont have to constantly be looking over my shoulder for alcohol induced trouble coming my way.

All that being said, you are right, pricing is getting stupid.

50 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Perfect THANK YOU!?

Maps will be posted Wednesday, September 5th. In the meantime I will save the link

Yeah you may be right. I just find that if you take into consideration how much I will spend on food/drink @ the bar, uber,  and not being able to hear the play by play it comes out to be worth it. I usually only watch like one- two games per season @ a bar, as I will not get into trouble @ home and i can drink as much as i want and dont have to constantly be looking over my shoulder for alcohol induced trouble coming my way.

All that being said, you are right, pricing is getting stupid.

that's the eternal struggle.  I dont much like going to the bar to watch a game for the same reasons, plus this place is full of knucklehead giants fans.  Let's see how it plays out, but so far the fire stick + kodi + sportsdevil is yielding some interesting results!

called today took me forever to get to loyalty folks.   First a ST rep offered me 25% off but I wanted better so asked for Loyalty. The Loyalty person offered me 5$ a month for 12 months nothing off Sunday ticket.   I told her I pay 190$ month for ATT internet and wireless and now 168 for DTV and thats best yo can do?   I than was about to hang up when a magical 45$ a month off was offered however no budging on ST and Max.   I took deal but will call back in a few days to CANCEL ST and see what they will offer.   I hate them now that ATT owns them the old retention folks were much better to deal with and pleasant as well.   ONLY reason I keep DTV is for ST because when I want to watch a game I am not chasing streams that may or may not work nor can I sync the stream with Sirius play by play.   I tried stream approach last year with hockey will be going back to DTV for NHL center ice.

I went to the DTV chat yesterday just sniffing around for a ST promotion.  The best I got was $99 off ST Max, I said no thanks and when I went to my account, the clown had signed me up for it!!!  So I had to then call, go through the stupid prompts, and got a less than helpful rep who told me yup, that's what happened and she got snippy when I told her to take ST off the account.

I re-upped for DTV for another year with a $60/month discount, but this year is the final time...as others have said, they're now part of a huge conglomerate and customer service is in the proverbial $chitter.

I just hope that someday soon, next season or the one after, that the NFL will look to streaming these games over a reputable source.

Called yesterday.

First, I have to say that since the ATT takeover their customer service seems to have been sourced out offshore. Never used to be that way. So I went directly to "Loyalty and Customer Retention". When automated option came up "Would you like to change programming or cancel service" I picked cancel service.  I didn't say much at all except that Sunday Ticket was a little out of my league. I added that, as a family, we all have ATT mobile service and we did buy a couple of new phones this year. Whether this had any effect or not I'm not sure.

Immediately he gave me Sunday Ticket for free. Not Max though. I have to pay the extra 6 payments of $17. Not a big deal because he gave me $60 off my entire monthly bill for a year. 

Then, as I was on a bit of a roll, I asked him about NHL Center Ice. He said as far as he can tell, I'm not getting charged for that either? 

So all and all it was a pretty good 10 minutes spent. 

12 minutes ago, Dante said:

I added that, as a family, we all have ATT mobile service and we did buy a couple of new phones this year. Whether this had any effect or not I'm not sure.

That is a HUGE advantage when negotiating.  I'm a Verizon guy, so I can't pull that lever.  

3 hours ago, Dante said:

Called yesterday.

First, I have to say that since the ATT takeover their customer service seems to have been sourced out offshore. Never used to be that way. So I went directly to "Loyalty and Customer Retention". When automated option came up "Would you like to change programming or cancel service" I picked cancel service.  I didn't say much at all except that Sunday Ticket was a little out of my league. I added that, as a family, we all have ATT mobile service and we did buy a couple of new phones this year. Whether this had any effect or not I'm not sure.

Immediately he gave me Sunday Ticket for free. Not Max though. I have to pay the extra 6 payments of $17. Not a big deal because he gave me $60 off my entire monthly bill for a year. 

Then, as I was on a bit of a roll, I asked him about NHL Center Ice. He said as far as he can tell, I'm not getting charged for that either? 

wait till center ice is up for renewal.   They told me same thing two years ago I told them they said it was free and they ended up doing that but had to call back and escalate.  I hate the new retention folks used to love when I would get the folks in Idaho all air force wives or husbands working a second job.   When I got loyalty they were really good at not budging I guess I should have tried again to say sorry I am leaving to see if they would have done more.  But I am ok I got 45$ a month off for a year, ST Max for 300$ so I am good.

3 hours ago, Dante said:

Called yesterday.

That's because it's not in the system yet.