Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

HOUSE

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Let me get this straight. 3 and out and a flip of the field is the same as a Potentially field shortening turnover?...

Geez, dude. 

i get what you're saying and I agree that we didn't give up the short field often.  What i'm saying is that our offense was hardly on the field because of so many 3 & outs.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:09 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Moving on was the right decision for both sides. Tyrod handled himself with class as always. The Bills handled it the right way by keeping him in the loop. 

I agree.  Tyrod's game is not geared toward championship level football.  He will give Cleveland better quaterbacking than they've had in a while if he starts rather than Mayfield, but I don't think his ceiling would have allowed Buffalo to ever have much better results than they had last season.McDermott and Beane are looking for better.  Wheather or not they find it or have found it is certainly open to question, but Tyrod was never going to give it to them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This. 

People seem to think the Bills won inspite of Tyrod last season. It's just not the case.

And they still think that, and that the offense is somehow going to magically improve with AJ.

People still wont give him credit for averaging between 5 to 6 yards per carry during his tenure in Buffalo. Or the extra 500 to 600 yards and 4 to 6 tds that his rushing contributed to the offense each year.

For most posters those numbers don't count or even exist, or a silly 4th quarter comeback stat that Aaron Rogers rates lower at is more important. But those contributions did matter and they were pretty damn significant for the teams total offense when added to his passing. And he's right to say that, because in the end he accounted for more points than well over half the Qbs in the league.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

And they still think that, and that the offense is somehow going to magically improve with AJ.

People still wont give him credit for averaging between 5 to 6 yards per carry during his tenure in Buffalo. Or the extra 500 to 600 yards and 4 to 6 tds that his rushing contributed to the offense each year.

For most posters those numbers don't count or even exist, or a silly 4th quarter comeback stat that Aaron Rogers rates lower at is more important. But those contributions did matter and they were pretty damn significant for the teams total offense when added to his passing. And he's right to say that, because in the end he accounted for more points than well over half the Qbs in the league.

Can you clarify 'points' and maybe 'well over half the QBs in the league' too, because if you're talking about total TDs scored Taylor was 17th among QBs in 2015, 18th in 2016, and 24th in 2017. He was and is a limited below average QB overall, his rushing ability (and Rex Ryan) is really the only reason his tenure in Buffalo lasted more than a season. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/3/2018 at 7:09 AM, Shaw66 said:

Several things:

1.  I'm still not convinced about Tyrod, but once they benched him for Peterman, he had to go.   That was a clear vote of no confidence, and there was no going back.

2.  I sincerely hope he succeeds in Cleveland or somewhere else.   He's committed to his craft, he works hard, and I like to see that work ethic rewarded.

3.  Tyrod is a quality guy.   Some guys would have griped somewhere along the line, on his way out the door, if not earlier, but he wouldn't do that.  This latest comment isn't griping; it's just a statement of his confidence in himself and his recognition that the Bills had a different view.   

I've written before about my good friend who lived next door to Tyrod on Main Street most of the time Tyrod was in Buffalo.  They had the only two apartments on their floor.   She's 92, and she's a big fan.   Recently she told me that one day she was in the lobby of their building with her wheel-chair-bound granddaughter.  Some other people were there, too.  Tyrod got off the elevator, in a hurry to go someplace.   People recognized him and wanted to talk, but he was headed straight for the door.   Then he saw my friend and her granddaughter, stopped and came over to talk with the girl.   No one asked him to stop; he just wouldn't leave with giving the girl a few minutes of his time.   When he finished chatting, he was out the door and gone.  

Good luck, TT.  

Good story and a great example of the kind of thing that makes people good folks. 

I've always liked Tyrod as a person. Not as my team's QB, not anywhere near recently, but he's always carried himself with class with the one small exception of the racist thing, which I thought was nonsense. But one small problem in three years is an extremely high average for human beings. 

I'm with you, I wish him the absolute best.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Can you clarify 'points' and maybe 'well over half the QBs in the league' too, because if you're talking about total TDs scored Taylor was 17th among QBs in 2015, 18th in 2016, and 24th in 2017. He was and is a limited below average QB overall, his rushing ability (and Rex Ryan) is really the only reason his tenure in Buffalo lasted more than a season. 

Points includes passes and rushing TD's. Well over half the QB's in the league refers to every QB who started a game in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Points are points- whether he threw a TD or ran for one; QB's in the league are QBs in the league. 

And your response proves my point exactly: people dont add what he does in the running game to his stats, as if he is no longer a QB (by virtue of magic) every time he takes off and runs. Its silly and unnecessarily old school, reminding me of the devaluing of walks that plauged baseball thinking for years.

I don't care if a QB throws for a 1st down or runs for a first down, as long as he gets a 1st down, so saying that he was a good runner but a bad qb makes no sense to me. 

Edited by MURPHD6

7 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Points includes passes and rushing TD's. Well over half the QB's in the league refers to every QB who started a game in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Points are points- whether he threw a TD or ran for one; QB's in the league are QBs in the league. 

And your response proves my point exactly: people dont add what he does in the running game to his stats, as if he is no loger a QB (by virtue of magic) every time he takes off and runs.

He only missed five games in three years and he only managed to finish 17th, 18th, and 24th in the NFL in points among QB's (rushing and passing touchdowns) according to your definition.  If you wanted to argue he's a consistently low average to average starting QB....you've succeeded.

When I say above half, I am including everyone who played, as that offers a more complete picture. And yes, every average starter deserves to keep their starting job, there is nothing really that controverisal about that.

Why? 

Average starters don't grow on trees, and you can waste multiple seasons trying to develop an inexperienced QB into an average QB. 

We are wasting this season, and there is no guaranteee that a current QB on the roster will even be average, long term.

Most 1st round qbs dont develop into average starters. Its a roll of the dice.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

McDermott and Dennison Rexed our offense.

haha  !!

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

McDermott and Dennison Rexed our offense.

haha  !!

Btw Last year was painful to watch. The Offense and Tyrod, Tolbert and Mills.
Hope Taylor regains some of what he brought his first and second season.

Bills have moved on and rightly so.

If someone had told me three or four years ago that we would end our drought after 17 years and would then get rid of our QB after the season ended, I would have laughed at them.  And yet, I think most fans agreed that the time had come to move in another direction.  Football really is a strange game.  Go Bills

7 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Now consider the 1500-2000 yards passing and 10 passing TDs he was not close to capable of providing. 

Tyrod's inability to operate a modern passing offense put the Bills in such an offensive deficit that his rushing contributions are kind of irrelevant. (Also, a I'd be willing to bet that a significant % of his rushing #'s came in garbage time against prevent defenses, but I don't care enough to look that up.)

I've said this before. The notion that defending Tyrod somehow "kept defensive coordinators up at night" is an absolute joke. 

A QB that can drop 375 yds passing and 4 passing TDs on you at any time is infinitely more dangerous than a QB who can only throw for 200 yards passing (on a very good day, let's be honest), 2 TDs, 40 yds rushing and maybe 1 rush TD. 

If I'm a DC, I let Taylor scramble around all day -- he's never going to score quickly and often. I'll take giving up 240 total yards at Tyrod's best as opposed to 375 to a real QB. 

Edited by twoandfourteen
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

And your response proves my point exactly: people dont add what he does in the running game to his stats, as if he is no longer a QB (by virtue of magic) every time he takes off and runs. Its silly and unnecessarily old school, reminding me of the devaluing of walks that plauged baseball thinking for years.

I don't care if a QB throws for a 1st down or runs for a first down, as long as he gets a 1st down, so saying that he was a good runner but a bad qb makes no sense to me. 

You should care -- because the two approaches are not equivalent. One is a slower, much more inefficient way to gain yardage and score points. I'll let you guess which one that is. 

Where it matters is at the end of the game when you're adding them all up:

One QB threw for 11st downs, the other threw for 4 and ran for 3.

One QB threw for 4 TDs and kicked 1 FG, the other threw for 1, ran for 1 and his team kicked 2 FGs. 

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Let me get this straight. 3 and out and a flip of the field is the same as a Potentially field shortening turnover?...

Geez, dude. 

Not all interceptions are bad.

Ball is at opponents 45 our QB throws a 25 yard int on 3rd and 15 while trying to make a play and fit it into a tight window, with no return and ball is on opponents 20 yard line. 

or

Ball still on opponents 45, Schmidt, standing on his own side of field punts ball to 10 yard line PR catches and returns to 25 yard line.

Is that considered a bad interception? I don't consider that a bad interception. Yet if QB does that similar scenario half dozen times and ends year with, say 15 ints instead of 9 he is wrongly looked at as a turn over machine. Yet former QB who had same scenario would pass the ball for 5 yard gain or run around and gain 3 yards and still punt was considered better because he didn't throw ints. No!

As long as the QB is throwing for yards, which also flip the field and TDs, i'll be totally ok with double (8) or triple (12) the amount of ints that TT had last year.     

39 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Not all interceptions are bad.

Ball is at opponents 45 our QB throws a 25 yard int on 3rd and 15 while trying to make a play and fit it into a tight window, with no return and ball is on opponents 20 yard line. 

or

Ball still on opponents 45, Schmidt, standing on his own side of field punts ball to 10 yard line PR catches and returns to 25 yard line.

Is that considered a bad interception? I don't consider that a bad interception. Yet if QB does that similar scenario half dozen times and ends year with, say 15 ints instead of 9 he is wrongly looked at as a turn over machine. Yet former QB who had same scenario would pass the ball for 5 yard gain or run around and gain 3 yards and still punt was considered better because he didn't throw ints. No!

As long as the QB is throwing for yards, which also flip the field and TDs, i'll be totally ok with double (8) or triple (12) the amount of ints that TT had last year.     

Thanks for using one overly specific example to try and bail out a dudes dumb a** blanket statement that 3 and outs are the same as turnovers. Try telling that to the bills d back when they traveled to San Diego. 

I’m personally not tore up at all that Taylor is gone but what that dude said is dumb. I don’t know the numbers but I would bet money that around 50% of turnovers End up wth the defense getting stuck with a way shorter field than what a punt would have netted 

53 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

You should care -- because the two approaches are not equivalent. One is a slower, much more inefficient way to gain yardage and score points. I'll let you guess which one that is. 

Where it matters is at the end of the game when you're adding them all up:

One QB threw for 11st downs, the other threw for 4 and ran for 3.

One QB threw for 4 TDs and kicked 1 FG, the other threw for 1, ran for 1 and his team kicked 2 FGs. 

Of course they aren't, but 10 yards is 10 yards; and 6 points is 6 points. And running is not necessarily inefficient if you want to chew the clock and rest your D. Its actually pretty damn efficient when you want to protect the ball. 

Edited by MURPHD6

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

Now consider the 1500-2000 yards passing and 10 passing TDs he was not close to capable of providing. 

Tyrod's inability to operate a modern passing offense put the Bills in such an offensive deficit that his rushing contributions are kind of irrelevant. (Also, a I'd be willing to bet that a significant % of his rushing #'s came in garbage time against prevent defenses, but I don't care enough to look that up.)

I've said this before. The notion that defending Tyrod somehow "kept defensive coordinators up at night" is an absolute joke. 

A QB that can drop 375 yds passing and 4 passing TDs on you at any time is infinitely more dangerous than a QB who can only throw for 200 yards passing (on a very good day, let's be honest), 2 TDs, 40 yds rushing and maybe 1 rush TD. 

If I'm a DC, I let Taylor scramble around all day -- he's never going to score quickly and often. I'll take giving up 240 total yards at Tyrod's best as opposed to 375 to a real QB. 

Your idea of 'a real QB' needing to throw for 375 and 4tds regularly is entitled, unrealistic and silly. Its akin to being the creepy dude who only hits on girls that he thinks are 10's, and that dude never gets laid.

Edited by MURPHD6

On 6/3/2018 at 12:08 PM, Zebrastripes said:

Yet shady still finished 4th in yards.  Don't just cherry pick numbers to help your argument.  Look at the overall season.  Nice try though.

Your quote : "Two games with under 100 passing yards and 6 more with under 200 really isn't doing enough to stay on a NFL team."

My response : The most important Bill player on offense last year had at least six stinker games, so maybe your logic is faulty.

Your counter-response : "You can't just pick out a handful of games"

Hilarious. You can't begin to make this bull**** up........

Edited by grb

9 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

You can be both in the camp that wanted to move on from Tyrod and that camp that does not think AJ McCarron will be an upgrade. Some people were ABTs - anyone but Tyrod - I wasn't. I just thought sticking with Tyrod was tying yourself to a road to average.  I expect McCarron to be about the same as Tyrod as a passer - safe, conservative, sporadic moving the offense but a competitor and a game manager - and less than Tyrod as a runner (though he isn't totally immobile). The point to moving on from Tyrod was never about whether you could get similar play for a year or two from an AJ McCarron or a Case Keenum (as I advocated a year ago) it was about getting away from the baggage of having your former established starter sitting ahead of the guy who you really hope is the future - which we now know is Josh Allen.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

TT was far, far from a nightmare on defensive coordinators.  I can see the war room now.

"How do we stop Tyrod?"

"Stack the box, put eleven men, two cheerleaders and an assistant coach in there.  Take away the run game and the short passing game."

"But what if Tyrod takes advantage of that and burns us by throwing deep?"

*room erupts in laughter*

"Stack the box.  Moving on..."

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, grb said:

Your quote : "Two games with under 100 passing yards and 6 more with under 200 really isn't doing enough to stay on a NFL team."

My response : The most important Bill player on offense last year had at least six stinker games, so maybe your logic is faulty.

Your counter-response : "You can't just pick out a handful of games"

Hilarious. You can't begin make this bull**** up........

Are they as hilarious as the Tyrod doesn’t stink because x and y = b divided by Jupiter’s barometric pressure posts that you’ve shown us 24,000 times ? 

Bortles won bud, COT doesn’t preach here anymore.   

• Like (+1) 1