Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

HOUSE

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

just not what we needed if we wanted to be a real playoff team. 

What team was that I saw in the playoffs on January 7th?  Looked like the Bills to me. Only real playoff teams played that weekend.

NFL sanctioned real playoff teams that is.  Perhaps they just aren't John from Riverside playoff worthy?  fwiw

Edited by reddogblitz

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

What team was that I saw in the playoffs on January 7th?  Looked like the Bills to me. Only real playoff teams played that weekend.

NFL sanctioned real playoff teams that is.  Perhaps they just aren't John from Riverside playoff worthy?  fwiw

They were worthy to participate in the playoffs. I agree. I don’t subscribe to the “lucky” to be there or “backing in.” They were not worthy of contending for the SB, however, which is what any team in the playoffs should be there for. A participation trophy is not what this organization’s goal is. Thank god. 

The Bills held the Jags to 10 points. They lost. It was embarrassing imo. No way they could continue with that QB.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

So then he's trash.  If he isn't good enough to do anything more than sneak in, he's no better than any other backup.

If you really want to try to construct an argument that Taylor isn't better than Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty, Blaine Gabbert, Brian Hoyer, Landry Jones, etc I don't know what to say - "Good Luck with That" I guess.

This whole "Championship Caliber or Trash" false dichotomy has gotten a bit off the rails IMO.

Not everyone is polorized.  I'm quite the opposite.  TT was the ultimate baseline.  He never took a risk.  Ever.  Not taking risks kept him from losing game through mistakes, but kept him from winning games with big plays.  He was able to do enough to get us to the playoffs, and not enough to win a playoff game where the opposing team scored just 10 points.  TT elevates bad teams and drags good teams down.  Last season the Bills finally outgrew him.  However, the 1-31 Browns are the perfect team for him.  He can elevate them to mediocrity, and by the time the Browns outgrow him, their rookie should be ready to go.

That lack of risk-taking did catch up to him, though.  When time is almost expired and you need a comeback, a winning drive, well...you have to bite the bullet and take chances.  TT couldn't, or wouldn't, and that's why his 4th quarter comeback numbers are so terrible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was embarrassing imo. No way they could continue with that QB.

No, the 17 years before that were embarrassing.

I was embarassed for the 20 teams that didn't make it.

Most SB winners don't go from no playoffs for years and years and years to Champs in one year.  Last year was a great step ahead. Winning breeds winning.  

I can't say for sire, but I suspect that if Scott had made that pick you'd be on here complaining we didn't win by enough.

I will always consider a playoff season to be a successful season, but that's just.me. 

Edited by reddogblitz

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you really want to try to construct an argument that Taylor isn't better than Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty, Blaine Gabbert, Brian Hoyer, Landry Jones, etc I don't know what to say - "Good Luck with That" I guess.

This whole "Championship Caliber or Trash" false dichotomy has gotten a bit off the rails IMO.

The best of the trash.  

It's not championship caliber or trash.  But there is a clear line between good enough and not good enough, and once you're below that line, I don't care if you're the king of the trash.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The best of the trash.  

It's not championship caliber or trash.  But there is a clear line between good enough and not good enough, and once you're below that line, I don't care if you're the king of the trash.

(Hapless opens a brewski and sits back)  Clear line.  Do tell.  Who is above it, and who is below?

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

it's not championship caliber or trash.  But there is a clear line between good enough and not good enough, and once you're below that line, I don't care if you're the king of the trash.

And where exactly is this "clear line" of which you speak?

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Also notice he claims Taylor is only throwing for 200 yds on a very good day for him when the guy averaged 200 pass yds a game over his 3 seasons here. 

Dont bother with that clown dude. He’s warped. I’m totally cool with Taylor being gone but some of these dudes takes are just really really REALLY stupid. 

I know, right? I mean, only just over half of Tyrod's 44 games were under 200 yards passing. (Of course, there were more than a few of those 200+ games where he was at 150 or so late in the 4th Q and padded the ol' yardage stats in garbage time, but we don't need to dig that deep.)

Passing Yards

43 games under 300 - 97.7%

38 games under 280 - 86.3%

30 games under 230 - 68.1%

23 games under 200 - 52.2%

16 games under 180 - 36.3%

7 games under 130 - 15.9%

Passing TDs

Games with 3 passing TDs: 6 - 13.6%

Games with 2 passing TDs: 7 - 15.9%

Games with 1 passing TD: 19 - 43.1%

Games with 0 passing TD: 12 - 27.2%

31 games with 1 or 0 passing TDs - 70.4%

38 games with 2 or fewer passing TDs - 86.3%

13 games with 2 or more passing TDs - 29.5%

Such a stupid and delusional post, I know -- what with using actual facts and numbers to illustrate reality. How dare I? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

I know, right? I mean, only just over half of Tyrod's 44 games were under 200 yards passing. (Of course, there were more than a few of those 200+ games where he was at 150 or so late in the 4th Q and padded the ol' yardage stats in garbage time, but we don't need to dig that deep.)

Passing Yards

Passing TDs

Such a stupid and delusional post, I know -- what with using actual facts and numbers to illustrate reality. How dare I? 

There was really no need for all this. You said 200 yds was a “very good” day for him while trying to reinforce a point. That was false. 200 yds a game was his average in Buffalo. I’m not happy with that. I’m totally fine with moving on from Tyrod. That doesn’t change what you said from being wrong... and sorta stupid. Sorry.  Good talk, bruh. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

28 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Passing Yards

Passing TDs

The sample size is far too small for any factual claim to be made, counter to what you hyprocritically and arrogantly claim to be reality. The problem is that your supposed standard for quality QB play was inflated from the get go. So all your really doing is dressing up an opinion with some numbers that you decided were important.

Edited by MURPHD6

2 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Your tone is condescending, and your standards are unrealistic and silly. And when you have unrealistic and silly expectations you are destined to be dissapointed. How many 375 yard 4 touchdown Quarterback performances occur, on average, each year? Not enough to set that possibility as a realistic benchmark for who you think the Bills QB should be. 

Interesting question. Let's take a look! 

2015-2017 QBs with 375yds or more & 4 or more TDs:

http://pfref.com/tiny/h5Wgl

2015-2017 QBs with 375yds or more

http://pfref.com/tiny/6H47Y

2015-2017 QBs with 4 or more TDs: 

http://pfref.com/tiny/T4Rwe

Spoiler Alert: Tyrod Taylor does not appear on any of those lists. Matt Moore, Trevor Siemian, and Brian Hoyer do. 

Anyway, I wasn't talking about a fan's "expectations". I was talking about a DC preparing a gameplan -- you know, trying to account for things that might happen. 

Ben Roethlisberger might throw for 375/4 because he's proven himself to be capable of doing it, so the DC has to account for it. It is a reasonable concern. 

Tyrod Taylor won't throw for 375/4 because he's shown to be totally incapable of doing it, so the DC doesn't have to waste the time worrying about it. There is no concern about Tyrod's passing attack. 

Tyrod's ceiling is probably 285-290 passing yards in a single game at his very best. 

A good QB is probably around 400 at his very best:

http://pfref.com/tiny/67Ef5

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

There was really no need for all this. You said 200 yds was a “very good” day for him. That was false. It was his average. I’m totally fine with moving on from Tyrod. That doesn’t change what you said from being wrong. Sorry.  Good talk, bruh. 

Well, you win this one. I should have said a "good" day for him would be 200 yds passing. 

A "very good" day for him would have been 230 yds passing. 

Thank you for the correction. I tip my hat to you, good sir. 

Coolidge_after_signing_indian_treaty.thumb.jpg.d5a9543f8684d20e2f0276c106ebe21c.jpg

9 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

The sample size is far too small for any factual claim to be made, counter to what you hyprocritically and arrogantly claim to be reality. The problem is that your supposed standard for quality QB play was inflated from the get go. So all your really doing is dressing up an opinion with some numbers that you decided were important, without any backing from others.

Honest question here -- are you saying that 44 games (the entirety of Tyrod's career as the Bills' QB) is too small of a sample size

I was talking ceilings and very good performances, not minimum standards. 

If you want my opinion on what a reasonable expectation is for a quality day from a decent QB, it would be 250/2. Think "Andy Dalton in his prime". 

Im just going to point out that your search showed 13 games where a qb reached the statistical ceiling that you cited as desiring in a "good" Bills starter (375 yards and 4TDs) over the span of 3 years. So, out of the 768 games played in total over that time span, a starting qb met your standard 0.0196 per cent of the time. So yeah, I think your standard for a franchise QB is too high. If we were talking Hall of Fame QBs, I'd be more likely to agree with you, but we are not, we are just describing someone who deserves to keep a starting job, not someone who deserves to be enshrined in Canton.

Edited by MURPHD6

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Not everyone is polorized.  I'm quite the opposite.  TT was the ultimate baseline.  He never took a risk.  Ever.  Not taking risks kept him from losing game through mistakes, but kept him from winning games with big plays.  He was able to do enough to get us to the playoffs, and not enough to win a playoff game where the opposing team scored just 10 points.  TT elevates bad teams and drags good teams down.  Last season the Bills finally outgrew him.  However, the 1-31 Browns are the perfect team for him.  He can elevate them to mediocrity, and by the time the Browns outgrow him, their rookie should be ready to go.

That lack of risk-taking did catch up to him, though.  When time is almost expired and you need a comeback, a winning drive, well...you have to bite the bullet and take chances.  TT couldn't, or wouldn't, and that's why his 4th quarter comeback numbers are so terrible.

I've been saying this for years. You have to learn to take risks.  If you don't you probably won't deliver when the time comes. 

You're right about Taylor. He didn't seem to learn. One symptom of that was his unwillingness to throw before his receiver came open.  

Maybe he will learn, but I don't think it's his nature. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Honest question here -- are you saying that 44 games (the entirety of Tyrod's career as the Bills' QB) is too small of a sample size

I was talking ceilings and very good performances, not minimum standards. 

If you want my opinion on what a reasonable expectation is for a quality day from a decent QB, it would be 250/2. Think "Andy Dalton in his prime". 

If you want a reasonable expectation for quality of qb play you have to compare his performances to every qb who played. You cant just isolate 44 TT games and form an opinion based on QBs you think are better. You have to consider the entire sample of NFL QB play over the same period to have any boderline reliable idea of what is above or below average. Otherwise you are  just cherry picking numbers to assert your opinions.

Edited by MURPHD6